Suggistions for grammer

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dianeh47

Suggistions for grammer

Post by dianeh47 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Ladies.
My ds is in eight grade. I had him in R&S 6 and he hated it. He said it was too hard and he couldn't understand it. He has had grammer before, but he doesn't like it and doesn't retain much of it. I am looking for suggestions for a grammer curriculum to put him in.that he can understand. He was in Easy Grammer about four years ago and I am considering it again because he did good in it, although, it has a lot of gaps.Any suggestins.

I love HOD. I wish the math and grammer was as good a fit as the rest of it.

Blessings,
Diane

CTC - 3 ds's, ages 11, 12, 14
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Suggistions for grammer

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 am

What about starting at a lower level of R&S...maybe 4 and going quickly through parts he knows and then going into 5 immediately after? Or maybe starting at 5? R&S is very rigorous so starting off lower to get a good foundation is going to make a big difference. Doing that should allow him to move faster and build some confidence (and with some success in grammar, he may come to like, or at least tolerate it!). Maybe do level 4 and much of 5 in one school year. I hear even level 6 goes deeper into grammar than many high schoolers ever see. So, no reason to feel behind!

Just my thoughts... :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

NoodleMom

Post by NoodleMom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:42 pm

I liked easy Grammar, That is what we did years ago when I was first homeschooling. I am picking it up again with this new batch of kiddos.
K

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Hello Diane - I'm thinking I remember you from the times we've gotten a chance to visit for awhile at conventions. If so, I was thinking that grammar seemed like an ongoing struggle? I second the suggestion of starting with a lower level of R & S English and doing it mainly on the marker board or orally. Placement in the right level of Rod and Staff is so important. If you begin in too difficult a level it can be overwhelming!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Diane,

I agree that Rod and Staff 6 is an extremely challenging level of grammar instruction! :D I'm not remembering if your child was new to Rod and Staff this year, or whether he'd done some Rod and Staff grammar before? If he has already completed Rod and Staff English 5, then he should be alright in 6 but perhaps slow down the lessons to half-speed (doing half each day). :wink:

If he hasn't already been through Rod and Staff 5, then he really should back up to 5 (or even 4) in order to be successful in Rod and Staff. Rod and Staff 5 is foundational to understanding future levels of Rod and Staff English, and without it kiddos will flounder mightily. There are things in Rod and Staff 6 that I didn't have until senior grammar in high school! :D

If you desire to go another route for grammar, you easily can do so without affecting the flow to the guide. So, whichever program you choose, just stick with it. Consistency gets the job done. :D I definitely know this from experience, as we did our fair share of changing grammar programs in the early years of my oldest son's schooling! What a difference it made when we finally settled in with Rod and Staff and have been at it with him now steadily for 4 years. :wink: Whatever you do choose to do, I honestly think consistency is the most important factor in retention with grammar instruction. :D

Blessings,
Carrie