Pics of Getting Ready for Bigger Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
julieabird

Re: Pics of Getting Ready for Bigger Hearts

Post by julieabird » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:18 am

Thank you for the prep info!
Julie R

ds 7 BLHFHG
dd 5 LHFHG

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Just wanted to say that this post helped me a lot. I referred to it while getting my stuff ready.
Thanks!
Linda<><
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

djemommy

Post by djemommy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 am

Oh my I just found this it is so helpful ...esp for all us newbies out there!
Thank you thank you!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks! :D I have plans to take pics of getting ready for all of the guides eventually! Someday... :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Do you want to have a laugh on me? :D I just used my own post here to get ready for my last child to start BHFHG! :lol: It's been 4 years since I've taught BHFHG. I'm in my mid-40's now, you know :wink: , so this helped jog my memory and make quick work of getting ready to start BHFHG with my youngest. I am so excited to begin! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Julie,
Did you make any changes this time around? We have 9 more units of Beyond. Then we will take 2-3 weeks off and start Bigger.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:19 pm

StephanieU wrote:Julie,
Did you make any changes this time around? We have 9 more units of Beyond. Then we will take 2-3 weeks off and start Bigger.
I am such a creature of habit, so the answer is that I didn't make one single change since last time. :lol: I know, not very exciting, right?!? I even have the same recipe box, having taken out our last son's cards and rubber banded them. I also am using the same green folder for storing the timeline, having taken out our last son's timeline and putting it in his portfolio binder. I also even drew the timeline the same way. Actually, I had my oldest ds, Wyatt, make the timeline, using my last son's timeline as a reference. Emmett is reading "The Secret School" too. I guess I just often stick with what works, as it makes my days be about my teaching instead of prepping and planning. My kids like that, and so do I! :D :D :D Thanks for asking, and I hope you have a great finish to Beyond, and a happy start to Bigger! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Stacy350

Post by Stacy350 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:12 pm

I know this is an older post, but it seems very helpful to a HOD newbie like me. Could someone tell me if I am correct in my thinking and answer a few questions please?

so with the post above we will need:
2 note books
Note cards
A box to put the cards in (if we want)
Some sort of timeline

The binder with tabs part seems like a preference. It looks like instead I could use a notebook for poetry copy work.
Part of post removed by board moderator per board rules.

But why does she have a tab for science experiments AND science note booking? And then yet another tab for guess and question?

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:27 pm

So, each unit has two science "papers." The first is the lab report. The second is a notebooking page. These are done on separate days. Some families organize by date completed while others keep the two categories separate - totally a choice.
Here is what I used to get ready (we will start in April, but I wanted to get a jump on it):
*Index card file with alphabet tabs and index cards for vocabulary and probably Bible verses
*Two composition books - one for dictation and one for grammar. If you do poetry copywork, you might want a third (but if you do cursive, you don't need to do copywork).
*Binder for history notebooking, science notebooking, and science lab reports. I am putting our poetry pages in there as well as any storytime items, but they could go somewhere else (Julie made a little book for the poems).
*I also printed out a timeline similar to Julie's, and I put it in the front pocket of the binder.

That is it other than the books.
Mom to

mtmom9107

Post by mtmom9107 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Thank you Julie for these pictures. I'll be doing Bigger this Fall with my oldest. I'm such a visual person and the pictures help so much!
I also have a question. How old was your son when you did Bigger with DITHOR? I can't decide between that and about 1/2 way through the emerging readers for my daughter. She's a pretty good reader. She can read the final books of emerging readers pretty good, needs a little help, but overall, pretty good.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 pm

mtmom9107 wrote:I can't decide between that and about 1/2 way through the emerging readers for my daughter. She's a pretty good reader. She can read the final books of emerging readers pretty good, needs a little help, but overall, pretty good.
I would finish the ER books first. One advantage of this is that DITHOR is more work that the ER books.. So since it will take a little bit to get used to the new guide, it is probably best to wait on starting a while other program too. Second, there is no rush. I did the math and realized that if we did two genres with Bigger and then five a year with Preparing through MtMM (following the schedule in those guides, which is 3 days of DITHOR a unit and 5 genres a year), we will complete all three DITHOR workbooks exactly once. And that is Carrie and Julie's recommendation (complete each workbook once).
Mom to