CLE Reading vs CM type narration/dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annaz

CLE Reading vs CM type narration/dictation

Post by annaz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 pm

We use CLE Language Arts and Reading. DD loves basal readers (go figure) and I love the critical thinking skills, vs just comprehension skills other reading programs have. They also contain great character training. CLE also uses diacritical marks (for dictionary pronunciations), how to study, proofread, all these skills that are taken for granted, that, at least when I was in school assumed everyone knew (which I didn't).

I'd continue with CLE LA, because that's what we're using. But I see all these skills that CLE has for Reading and don't understand how narration covers them all, nor all the phonics, rules, symbols for spelling. I also read some thoughts about narration, that when their child got to high school, there was trouble. So this makes me wonder how can narration be enough, and dication for spelling; learning by seeing and usage, other than learning rule based.

I'm not questioning what's being used, but I'm not convinced yet. If I compare CLE Reading to narration, is it that the CM style doesn't believe all the phonetics and symbols aren't useful? I just feel like there's a lot missing doing it this way. Am I missing something?

The reason I ask is that I love CLE and what it teaches in Reading, however, I feel stuck. If we put it aside to read a living book, we're perpetually behind CLE. For instance, we can't take a a few days off to read a living book because we'll always play catch-up. If we don't work on our seatwork for reading, you can't just skip over, because it all builds on itself. And yes...that means perpetually behind.

How can I be convinced that reading living books covers the critical skills needed and the basic knowledge of skills like:
Analogies, scanning, proofreading how to; root words, prefixes, suffixes, rules for spelling, dictionary symbols, figures of speech, synonyms, antonyms, making logical suppositions, compound words, fact/fiction, predictions, cause/effect, …I could go on.

Are these things in DITHOR? Or maybe covered in R&S English?
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: CLE Reading vs CM type narration/dictation

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Annaz,

CM advocated a combination approach to the language arts, which is the method that we also advocate (although we use a more rigorous grammar and writing approach than she did in the years before high school). :D

Narration, dictation, poetry study, and copywork are important language arts skills, but we also use Rod and Staff English, DITHR, and (once you get to Preparing Hearts on up) an additional formal writing program too. :D

All of the skills that you listed are covered in our language arts offerings. So, you could definitely decide to stay with CLE and still use HOD, or you could choose to go with what we've listed and have your same bases covered. It is purely a matter of preference and presentation, rather than a decision based on coverage. :D

Blessings,
Carrie