CTC questions..

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

CTC questions..

Post by Marsha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 am

I would like to know how this works in your home.
Do you read the books out loud or do you let them do it independently?
Also, do you buy them each a copy of their own books or just share one book?

Thank you
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

inHistiming

Re: CTC questions..

Post by inHistiming » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 am

We decided to separate our two oldest this year, so oldest ds12 is using CTC and dd10 is using PHFHG. It is going well so far....I chose to use only the extension package for my son to do independently. We have other read-alouds as a family that are unrelated to his curriculum. All of the independent parts are going well, and the teacher-led and semi-independent have been fairly easy as well. He actually can do most of the S boxes alone too but I always check first to see if he'll need my help. He's the only one doing CTC so we did not have to buy multiple copies. When my daughter moves up to CTC we will do the story time read alouds and have the extension package books (that we already own) available for extra reading but not assigned as scheduled in the guide, since she will be going through the program a year earlier than my son (he's 6th and she'll be 5th) and I don't feel she will be ready to be on her own quite as much as he is at his age and with his abilities. The independence for him has been enjoyed by me and him and it makes the teacher-led activities more special in my opinion. We're really loving the program and he's learning a lot...me too! :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Marsha,

The intention is for the child to read on his/her own, anything coded 'I' in the plans. If you have more than oine child reading the resources, they could share the books or each of a copy of their own. The history spines would be the most used books. :D

As far as the Genesis study and the Geography of the Bible Lands goes, you could either read these aloud or have the child(ren) read it with you silently (which goes more quickly), and then go over the assignment. Either will work depending on how well your kiddos who are using the program read. If you have multiple kiddos do this study, then you will have to weigh whether you want each pair of students to have a copy of these resources to share as they read, or whether you want to have only one copy that you read aloud and show them as you read. :D

The same would be true for Draw and Write, as each child will need to refer to the steps to sketch, but kiddos could share or take turns using the book (as no writing is done in the book). It is truly a matter of convenience and finances.

Hope that helps! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Marsha - I only have 1 child doing CTC, but we do follow the "T", "S", and "I" codes for the boxes, and have found that to be a a nice balance for doing the day. I like doing my "T" and "S" parts in 2 teaching blocks. The first teaching block, we do dictation, DITHOR, Storytime, and Math. We end with math or DITHOR so he can do the independent part on his own next.

The second teaching block, we do either Genesis Finding Our Roots or A Child's Geography depending which is scheduled for the day, either R & S Grammar or Write with the Best depending which is scheduled for the day, and then I check the rest of the boxes to see if he needs me for anything to finish. (We again end with either the R & S Grammar or Write with the Best so he can go on and finish on his own.)

So, basically, his day is in 5 blocks: Independent Block, Teaching Block (ending with a semi-independent activity), Independent Block, Teaching Block (ending with semi-independent activity), Independent Block. For my first teaching block time with him, my middle ds is playing with my toddler, which works well for about 40 minutes tops, so sometimes Storytime gets bumped to the next block if we can't get to it the first block.

He also plays with my toddler for 30-40 minutes between his first Independent Block and Teaching Block. He enjoys this time with my little guy, and you can probably easily see when I'm teaching my middle ds Beyond. Basically during my oldest ds's Independent blocks and during the time my oldest plays with toddler. This may not have been what you were looking for, but I thought I'd post it just in case something might be helpful as we've found this to be a super easy way to do CTC (along with Beyond and LHTH). However you organize it, I think you'll love CTC - it's a terrific program! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 pm

My children want me to read it out loud next year.
I can get them a copy and let them read it to themselves....
get them each a copy(of the books read) and everyone take turns reading out loud...or
read it out loud to them.

For those that have used these books. which do you think would work the best?
I will have 3 doing CTC.

Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.