Love the books in Beyond!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
busybee4

Love the books in Beyond!!

Post by busybee4 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Just wanted to give a big THANK YOU shout out to Carrie for all of the wonderful book choices that were made for Beyond. Hands down our favorite time of the day is the Story time and the Read Aloud time!!! All of the book that we have read have become absolute favorites in our home!! Helen Keller, A Lion to Guard Us, Sarah Witcher's Story, Sword in the Tree, The Josefina Story Quilt, Frog and Toad Series, 100 Dresses etc. All of the listed books and the optional books are such gems that I have had a hard time keeping my kids from sneaking the books to see what happens next! And I am always hearing, "Just a little more please Mommy?!"

One of the desires of my heart as I began homeschooling was to instill a love of books and for reading in my children, and Carrie you have made loving reading so easy by recommending such GREAT books!! We can't wait to read more!!
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

frankesense

Re: Love the books in Beyond!!

Post by frankesense » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:30 pm

We are loving the books too! We have enjoyed each one....and because we are enjoying them all so much we read several from each genre. We only choose one to during "school" time but read the others as extras, like before bed. We just finished "The Cricket in Times Square" which turned out to be one of my sons absolute favorites. We followed along in the book while we listened to it on tape (which was very well done, I must say). I, too, am thankful for the work Carrie has done putting the lists together. It has made our reading time so much more enjoyable!
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:34 pm

I want second this! My dd ALWAYS asks for more to be read. :o Thankfully I have all the books planned for our daily readings so it is easy to say no more for the day. Thanks Carrie for these wonderful books. :D
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:03 am

We too have found some real gems in the reading list. Our favorite so far has been Mr. Poppers Penguins. Though Helen Keller and Squanto were great and have been read a second time already.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 pm

I'm so glad that you're getting to enjoy some of the great book choices in Beyond. :D We do so MUCH reading to find the selections that ultimately make it into each guide. So, we're glad to hear that it helps you have a good reading experience with your kiddos. :wink: You'd think that there would be tons of excellent reading material out there, but the more that we look and search for those that are truly living and worthy of being read, the more we realize what a find those books really are! :D

Happy reading!

Blessings,
Carrie

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:51 am

This is soooo good to know since we'll be starting Beyond this fall. Thanks for sharing!! :)

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 am

I agree! My DS and I are enjoying Kildee House this week. We love it!
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 am

Another "agree!" We've loved "The Sword in the Tree", "Sarah Whitcher's Story", and so on. We've read some of the selections before BEYOND (before I knew that's what we'd be doing), like "Mr. Popper's Penguins", "The Cricket in Times Square", the EB White books, etc. They are certainly household favorites! Even our 4 y/o ds gets into them. Between him listening in with the older sibs, and also with giving him books on CD to listen to while the olders are doing math and reading, he's gonna be a GREAT listener! Good training. And I just LOVE that we can be confident that when we pick books from the HOD list, the kids will be listening to wonderful literature. Vocabularies growing by the minute! ha! I'm realizing more and more what a blessing it is to have found HOD! I thank the Lord for leading us here!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)