I'm not sure why I'm writing...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mattilda

I'm not sure why I'm writing...

Post by mattilda » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:12 pm

I'm not sure what I am looking for in posting this...maybe just encouragement or if anyone has advice that would be welcomed, for sure. I am overwhelmed and not sure what needs to change. I have an 8.5 yr old in Beyond, a 6.5 yr old in LHFHG, a 4 yr old who occasionally gets to do LHTH, a 2 yr old, and a 6 month old. I constantly go back and forth on if I should be combining. I am concerned my oldest is not getting enough, but I think Bigger would be too much. Writing takes him FOREVER. I think my 6 year old is a little ahead of LHFHG and I go back and forth on whether to move him up or just let him have an easy year. Three programs is so much to get done in a day! I also have both my older kids read their Bibles independently in the morning and have my oldest write a verse he has chosen for the day in lieu of copying the poem. We do a different math, Spell to Write and Read, and Bible Study Guide for all Ages- when we get to it. I just feel like I can't get a handle on things. I have been consistently having a quiet time in the morning for nearly a month now and I really thought that would make all the difference. It's not. I am glad I am doing it and I realize how important it is, but I just thought everything would come together with a quiet time habit first thing in the morning. I also have a problem with getting frustrated and yelling that I truly desire to overcome. My husband works a LOT so I am mostly doing all this on my own. I don't really know what I am looking for, but felt I should write this. I want to enjoy my children while I am discipling, training, and teaching them...

I know meal planning and having a schedule would help a lot. Getting up before my children is a struggle. I just always feel like I am trying to catch up and while I'm doing one thing feel like I should be doing another. Am I alone? Any wisdom?

Sorry for the rant...

8arrows

Re: I'm not sure why I'm writing...

Post by 8arrows » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:46 pm

My husband works a lot also. I understand. I also understand feeling the multiple program stress. You also have lots of young ones. I have the advantage of having some olders now, but I have been there. I just recently combined my middles. It has been wonderful. A load was lifted from my shoulders. I understand that some people really enjoy separating and feel that takes less time, but you sound just like I felt before I combined mine. I cannot describe the relief I am feeling and what I have the energy to accomplish now. Kudos on your quiet time. It will pay dividends. I also applaud you on working on your voice. I have been doing that as well. My oldest son just told me the other day that he noticed I had been more patient. Do not feel guilty combining if you think it will help. Try it for a week and see. If you don't like it, a week won't hurt anything.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 pm

at first glance, being new to HOD myself and not knowing much about your kids besides what you just shared, i would think you could at least combine your 6 1/2 year old and 8 1/2 year old in Beyond. they may have to do different "right sides", but it sounds like they could do the same left sides if nothing else. just a thought i had! i'll pray for your situation...
Wife to my wonderful husband for 8 years
dd5 - LHFHG, Abeka phonics, Horizons math
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:09 am

I just wanted to say hang in there that is a lot of little kids. I have been there when they are all little like that at once. :shock: And I have also been there with dh working a lot. :roll: It can be tough. I also would look to doing two programs if possible either using LHFHG and Beyond just for the Math and LA or the other way around. Those young years when they are learning to read fluently and all the beginning math and LA stuff can be really taxing. :D I have two the same age span and I have combined them. I had them last year in LHFHG and this year in Beyond. I have found they are both flexible enough to be able to accommodate both. Mine are 5 (6 in May) and 7 ( 8 in Feb). We have also done Bigger in our family as well and that year is another that gives a lot of flexibility plus there is just a lot there should you need to slow it down to give more time. So now id a great time to make the switch and go a head and combine as much as possible. And I will say this too we are doing three programs here but if I had your age span in the young years I would definitely combine.

Hang in there! It can all be adjusted to give you what you need. You do have a lot on your plate and it sound like you are handling it really well. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tmisek

Post by Tmisek » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:14 am

Hello. I pray that you will find a solution!

I am not an expert, but I can relate to your situation a little (minus 2 kids :) . If I was in your situation, I would consider combining the oldest 2 into Beyond for the left side of the plans and storytime. They would have their own level of math and reading, of course. From your post it sounds like the 6 year old would be able to handle it...and I bet he would LOVE having his mommy a bit happier and wouldn't mind a little more "work"...and we are doing Beyond now so I know the left side is FUN work!!

Then, next year, in Bigger you have the option of getting the extension package for your oldest if you feel he would need to beef up the history and science...I am not sure what "grade" he would be considered, but the extension package is recommended for 4th or 5th graders to read independently.

My husband also works a lot so I understand you there. I can't imagine having a 2 year old and baby added into the mix, so that fact that you are surviving so far is amazing! And yelling...yes, that is a struggle here too. Better some days than others. I am thankful that I am still a "work in progress"! God will not give up on me!

One more thought. I am combining my 5 yo and 3 yo this year in LHTH, and they will do LHFHG next year at half speed to take 2 years to complete (since the 3 yo will be on the young side). You may want to combine your youngers somehow eventually, and going half speed is an option that works for many people. You probably don't need to think of that now, but if holding off on LHTH until next year with your 4 yo, and then adding your 2 yo to that program will help you...well, that is working for us this year.

I hope you get some more advice, but I pray you will find a "solution" that will bring joy back to your home! :D
Tammy

Mommy of 3 treasures:
dd14
ds12
dd10

:) Enjoyed: LHFHG through MTMM!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:10 pm

mattilda,

The ladies have done a great job of tossing around some options and of encouraging you! I agree that it would be a good idea to combine your 6 and 8 year old for the left side of Beyond and the Storytime too, as it sounds as if your 6 year old has gained much this year already and would fit well there now. :D You could just keep going with any of the 3R's from Little Hearts that your 6 year old is currently using in order to keep those going on his/her level. :D

You may also want to take a look at any extra subjects that you have in your schedule that aren't related to HOD to see how much time they are adding to you day. We plan for Beyond to take 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours per day including math, literature study, and reading aloud. I know my older sister did The Bible Study Guide for All Ages for years, and it does add quite a bit of time to the day. You could consider doing it once weekly in a larger chunk, perhaps on Fridays (and then don't do Beyond on Fridays). That way you could still add the Bible study you love, without it weighting you down on the other days. :D

Another place to check the time on would be math (to see how much time that is taking in your day). Math can really steal time from your day, especially once you get more than child doing math. We typically allot 20 minutes or so to math in the younger levels, so if your math is going much beyond that time-wise, you may want to consider setting a timer and quitting after 25 minutes or so. You could assign even or odd problems rather than doing all of them too to cut down on the amount of math time, if that area is a time stealer. :D

One other area to check is your phonics program. Typically, we allot 20-25 min. for phonics, so you could consider setting a timer for that subject as well and just quitting when the timer rings. Then, the next day you could just pick it back up where you left off. :D

If these areas aren't time stealers for you, then just ignore my suggestions above. I'm just trying to think of anything that would make your days more manageable. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mattilda

Post by mattilda » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Thank you so much for all the responses/ suggestions! I combined everyone in Beyond today and it went pretty well! My 6 yr old is pretty advanced math wise so my 8 and 6 were already combined there. We did do Singapore instead of MEP today. I really like both and don't want to give up MEP, but that might be best. Maybe with them combined I could actually do DITHOR. :D I am not feeling nearly the despair and overload as I did last time I wrote! Thanks for all the encouragement!

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Just to encourage... I combine my 8 yr old and 6 1/2 yr old... I just adjust the Right Side of plans to their individual needs, and do BEYOND's history/science/geography/poetry/bible study/storytime together. It works well for us, and I'm glad to hear your 1st day of combining has gone well! I can't even imagine running 2 separate programs right now, and I only have 3 kids! ha! My 3rd tags along and gets his own reading lesson now and then!

Hang in there! Blessings to you!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Mattilda,

I'm so glad that you're getting a chance to tweak and find your groove. :D It can be tough to know whether to combine or not, and sometimes the only way to truly know is to try. :D Often there are various seasons in life when combining may work and other seasons when it may be better to separate. The great thing is that HOD can ebb and flow with those seasons so that you have options as you go along. :D

When you get to Bigger Hearts, you could always slow it down to 4 days a week or start at half-speed in order to give your younger one a chance to grow into the program a bit more then. :D

Blessings,
Carrie