math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SoaringEagle

math

Post by SoaringEagle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:07 pm

I was just wondering, do most of you use Singapore math or something else?
~Juli~
Wife to P
Mommy to dd Froggie - age 7 - BLHFHG - August '10
ds Hot Wheels - age 4 - LHTH - August '10

http://soaringeagle91.blogspot.com/

inHistiming

Re: math

Post by inHistiming » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:51 pm

We are currently using Saxon math. After trying Singapore for a year, we switched back. The kids enjoyed it and I did to a point. However, I personally needed something that had more of an explanation in the book due to my own lack of knowledge in that area and I am comfortable with Saxon, so that's why we went back. I am pretty sure there are teacher's manuals to go with Singapore so if you felt you needed that 'explanation' as I did you could probably get those. Also, since my oldest is in 6th and we would have to switch maths pretty soon again (due to a decision by HOD to switch in the higher grades...at least that was being discussed when I was making my decision about this year...Carrie can explain more and there's a thread about it on the board somewhere), I decided to go with something that has textbooks all the way through high school so I don't have to switch again. I've met and talked to lots of people that use SIngapore though and love it. I would suggest looking them up on the internet and reading about them both, look at sample pages, etc. to help you make a decision about what to use...if you need to. :wink:

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:28 pm

We began the year with Math U See Alpha for my son (6yo) but are in the process of switching to Singapore 1b. Math U See is a good program and makes math easy to understand for a non-math-fan-mom like me :) but was a bit "boring" :roll: for my son - not the concepts but the b/w pages even though he used the colored blocks. I noticed about 2 months into the school year that he no longer asked to do math first...he did it just to get through it and was excited the few days there was something besides numbers on the paper (shapes). Which was odd because he loves random math & science activities when we do them outside of school time.

I gave my son the placement test for Singapore this weekend. After he finished the placement test he asked that I print off "more of those fun math pages, mom!" Besides the workbook, I did order the home instructors guide for 1b after reviews I read from another website. I did it mainly to have other fun activities/suggestions to do with the workbook pages and don't want to have to think them up on my own...I'm so spoiled by the HOD guides! :wink:

For my 2nd child who'll tackle LHFHG in another year, I'll just start her out with Singapore K as written in the guide. :D
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

HappyMama

Post by HappyMama » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:52 pm

A happy Singapore user here. :)

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:25 pm

We have been Saxon (k-3rd) users until this year. My oldest son had a hard time transitioning into 5/4 last year. We now use BJU and we are liking it. I needed something traditional and scripted. He needed something mastery based instead of spiral. On the other hand, I have looked at Singapore and it is very user friendly and gives dc a very sound foundation in math. All my girlfriends who use it love it.
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm

We're actually using CLE math and I love it. I don't think we'll be switching for now...just curious to see what everyone was using.
~Juli~
Wife to P
Mommy to dd Froggie - age 7 - BLHFHG - August '10
ds Hot Wheels - age 4 - LHTH - August '10

http://soaringeagle91.blogspot.com/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Happy Singapore user here. :D But math is a personal choice, which is why HOD makes it a parent's choice. :)
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:08 pm

I used Singapore for a while then switched to Math U See mainly due to the child involved. Now with my youngest were doing singapore and she loves it. In fact after the tens and ones counting stuff we have just been doing, I asked for 25 cents and she brought me 2 dimes and 5 pennies. *score!*

I love Singapore but I really think its is what works for your child. For dd1 it = tears for dd2 = mom can we do math first. :)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:09 am

We use Math-u-see. sometimes a few extra worksheets from a workbook or just the pages i can print off from Math-u-see as extra practice.
My kids love it.

Jenn d
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 am

I use Singapore with my girls that have only been hsed. They do great with it and really I love Singapore. My other kids use CLE and we also really like that as well. In the end I wish they had all started out with Singapore. I think all would have been great with it but my dd with special needs. But we do also like CLE. Either way works great with HOD. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Patience

Post by Patience » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:20 pm

We use BJU and my kids really like it. It works well for us.
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I use Saxon. I really like their K-3 program. It is very hands on and thorough (sometimes too thorough, but I just shorten some of the lessons). My kids have both done so well with it. I thought about changing to Singapore when I switched to HOD but decided not to because my kids were already doing so well and liking it. I have a good friend, who also homeschools, who had said to me, "When you find something that is working for you, why change it?"
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

1GirlTwinBoys

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:05 am

CLE & Math Mammoth for my DD in 1st.
Singapore Earlybird for my twin boy's in K. We will switch over to CLE & MM when they start 1st. :D

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:01 am

We have used Singapore, all books to Primary 3A. We have combined with MUS because my dd was having a difficult time memorizing basic facts a few years ago and I was told MUS was a great Mastery program and it is. We took a year off of Singapore but have since caught back up. I didn't realize initially that with Singapore you must do the fact reviews outside of the program if you want your children to have good retention of the facts. This is not hard to do with flashcards, games, or fact sheets but I just didn't understand how to do that effectively at the time. We are half way through MUS Gamma and there has not been anything that Singapore has not covered that has been in MUS so I plan to drop MUS at the end of the book and move solely to Singapore. However, I stress over this because I think I might like to use MUS in high school.

My daughter says Singapore is "thinking" math and MUS is "easy" math. That doesn't mean MUS is simple, but Singapore requires a lot more problems that involve mental math work. One lesson of Singapore might take her 30 minutes (it's just 2 pages) at this level. For example... mentally add 80+98. MUS would have you do this on paper. Singapore would have you mentally add 80+100=180 then 180-2= 178. It just takes longer. One lesson of MUS rarely takes her longer than 10 minutes because the problems are all very similar with review problems that don't overwhelm (I can't really say that about Singapore...a lot of times, I have to think through Singapore word problems). We use MUS as review sheets now and basically as a secondary program.

I have had a lot of experience buying and trying different homeschool math programs over the past four years (Shiller, Right Start, CLE, Miquon) and all have strengths and weaknesses. I think it's important to find a program that you feel matches up with your goals...is it for your child to do mental math well - Singapore or RS, is it for them to have a strong hands on component that aligns with Montessori work ...with a Spiraling approach - Shiller, is it a math program where you need them to do work more independently that is sure to cover everything and is clearly laid out but might require you to cut back a bit on the amount of work - CLE, or how about a program where geometry is more emphasized and it's required to do hands on work - Miquon or RS. I found Singapore to be a good mix but there days that I wish for a more traditional approach (which is probably why I've kept MUS around...it's very comfortable for me). Carrie's guides in Bigger for 2A and 2B were *fantastic*. I'm not sure I'd want to miss those activities even if you aren't using Singapore.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)