Reading Lesson Guide...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LeAnna

Reading Lesson Guide...

Post by LeAnna » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:39 am

I was thinking of using this for my two kids (4 1/2 and 5 1/2). I am going to do K with both of them. But, I had a question about what I might need two of. Is anyone using this that might know? Also, are you using the cd with it? Anything else that I might need? I am also wondering, ( sorry about all the questions. I am new to this.:) what I need to use after I am done with this. Will they be ready to full fledge read after the program?

Thanks for any help!!
LeAnna

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Hi Callygirl!
I am using Little Hearts for His Glory and love it. Depending on how mature your 4 1/2 year old is you might not want to duplicate books. But you will only need to duplicate your handwriting and math books. The CD is great, my son really really likes it.
You will have to choose a reading program. We are using Reading Made Easy and it is working quite well. My son is 5 1/2 and we cover about 2 lessons per week. When we finish RME he will be ready for reading books listed in "Bigger".
Hope this helps a little,
Dorla

LeAnna

Reading Lesson Guide...

Post by LeAnna » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:48 pm

I better clarrify what I am talking about... as I forgot to list what I was asking about. I am just wanting to know about the Phonics/Reading curriculum called Reading Lesson Guide. If anyone is using this and can let me know the pros and cons of using this. That would be great!!
Thanks and sorry for any confusion:)

LeAnna

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:01 pm

LeAnna,

I'm sure you'll have more moms chime in about The Reading Lesson now that we understand your question better.

Once your little honey finishes The Reading Lesson, you move right into the Emerging Reader Set that we have scheduled in the Appendix of both "Beyond..." and "Bigger...". It is a 14 book set of "real books" that is scheduled daily in the Appendix - telling your kiddo what to read aloud to you. There are also 3 questions included for each day and one weekly narration.

Once you're through the emerging reader set (which takes a year), you can move into Drawn into the Heart of Reading for literature study. Here's a link to the Emerging Reader Set: http://www.heartofdakota.com/emerging-reader.php

Blessings,
Carrie
Last edited by Carrie on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:15 pm

We are using The Reading Lesson with three kids now actually :shock: and I have not found the need to have more than one book. I have two that are little one that is a little bit ahead of the other and then a child with special needs that I am actually taking through it at a little faster pace alongside the Emerging readers. It is really for her just cementing things in her brain and trying to increase her fluency and low and behold it is working!

I have them match categories with their finger rather than writing it. I actually like that better. I feel like they understand the match better for some reason. I have not made hardly any copies so far. I am not big on making copies so if I thought they needed their own copy they would all have one. Just really do not think it is necessary at all. And father on in the book I know I will not be needing to make any copies because really it is reading only. Love the CD and I think it is a must with the program. I really feel like it boosts the results. 8) One thing I do that helps me to keep track of who is where is using different types of paper clips to mark the spot. We have hearts and feet to mark where we left off with who. That makes it just flip open and go where you left off.

I hope that helps. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Another way to keep track of who is on what page is with stickers. The instructions recommend letting the kid put a sticker on each page they finish. My son put his stickers at the bottom of each page when he did it. Now with my daughter, I have her put the sticker at the top of the page. If the Lord blesses us with a 3rd child someday, then we'd put stickers on the side of each page. :D

Lee Ann