can i start a thread about food?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommyofgirls

can i start a thread about food?

Post by mommyofgirls » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09 am

i need some meal ideas (breakfast, lunch AND dinner!) :D I am in a rut, and i am in a stage where i need things that are not too terrbily time consuming (i love to cook, but my life is turned upside down from our move!), are nutritious and kid friendly. i know the rule is not to post about anything other than curriculum, so if this is illegal, please just delete and forgive me! :oops: :D i was hoping to get some ideas from some other busy homeschooling
mommies! 8)
Wife to my wonderful husband for 8 years
dd5 - LHFHG, Abeka phonics, Horizons math
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

Tansy

Re: can i start a thread about food?

Post by Tansy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4998&p=36880&hilit=lunches#p36880 maybe this will help :wink: I still don't know if its legal but I know we have discussed food in the context of making it work for school.

I will suggest you try recipiezarr they have a great forum for just his kind of question.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Tansy wrote:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4998&p=36880&hilit=lunches#p36880 maybe this will help :wink: I still don't know if its legal but I know we have discussed food in the context of making it work for school.
thanks, i'll check out that link!!! :D
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Here are some more great threads on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4998
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093&p=35936

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Sheila in OK

Post by Sheila in OK » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Funny, this is the time of year I always start thinking about food and wanting to revamp our eating habits! We get tired of the same-old, same-old. Anyway I just got a new book called 'Family Feasts for $75 a Week' by Mary Ostyn (sp?). It has lots of great ideas for breakfasts, lunches, and dinners (mostly dinner recipes). I am always looking to cut costs so thought it was worth a try. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but some of them look really good. You might check your library to see if they have a copy to see if it might be something you would want to purchase.

Sheila
09/10 School year:
DD 11 Bigger w/Extensions
DS 8 Bigger as written

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for sharing these! Always so easy to get stuck in a rut! Wednesday's are our busy, run-around days, with AWANA and gymnastics in the mix, plus I shop while the older 2 are at gymnastics. So I somewhat dread Wednesdays. So I'm going to check out some of these ideas!

You know what we're doing for supper, though, tonight? I'm doing a "silly supper" night. I do this now and then when I'm feeling too busy. The kids get oatmeal or cereal, fruit and veg (usually!). They love it! My hubby is going to have to endure some more leftovers following our Rose Bowl party from last Friday. Lots of left-over meatballs! ha! And the fridge is just packed full .... we "over-planned" a bit for that party! ha! BTW, I graduated from Ohio State, so I'm happy with the outcome of that game! :-)

Take care, and again, thanks for the links!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

billswife

Post by billswife » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 pm

I bought Family Feasts too. I've tried about 6 or 7 recipes and all my kids and husband have liked them! That is unheard of for us. It is a great book!
Ann

DS 17 New American History
DD 13 Rev to Rev
DD 11 CTC

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi Ladies!

To save money (and time), I do a lot of prep over a day or two once a month and then enjoy pulling our dinners (and often lunches) out of the freezer for the next few weeks. The food never tastes like the freezer and I add a salad, other fresh veggies or fruit to the meals each evening. It also takes stress off of me each day to worry about "what's for dinner" especially around the time of day my kids are going crazy! :wink:

Here are a lot of tried and tested recipes for families from my blog I put together for friends who kept asking for good freezer recipes...

http://easierwiththefreezer.blogspot.com/
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 pm

creativemommy wrote:Hi Ladies!

To save money (and time), I do a lot of prep over a day or two once a month and then enjoy pulling our dinners (and often lunches) out of the freezer for the next few weeks. The food never tastes like the freezer and I add a salad, other fresh veggies or fruit to the meals each evening. It also takes stress off of me each day to worry about "what's for dinner" especially around the time of day my kids are going crazy! :wink:

Here are a lot of tried and tested recipes for families from my blog I put together for friends who kept asking for good freezer recipes...

http://easierwiththefreezer.blogspot.com/

thank you so much! i had a second to glance at your blog and it looks great! i can't wait to get some recipes...thanks for sharing! 8)
dd3 - LHTH