Trouble with Bigger Hearts...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dorla

Re: Trouble with Bigger Hearts...

Post by Dorla » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:10 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Samuel and I have had another little chat about school and I mentioned the various ideas presented here. He was surprised that I had shared my frustrations with other moms and his eyes opened wide when I mentioned that Carrie and Julie also commented.

He loved the idea of school for 30 minutes followed by a 30 minute computer break within a 4 day school week, completing both pages of the guide. We will begin next Monday after all the relatives leave from spending their vacation with us. I will surely let you know how it works out!!

Tansy, Carrie and Julie, thank you for taking the time to share with me and give advice. Now I am off to ask new questions!
Dorla :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Oh Samuel - give him a big hug from us, o.k.? :D He is such a cutie. I am glad he's excited about a new routine, and though it may take a bit for him to get used to it, I think it will be a good change of pace for him. Who knew computer was the thing? I have this happen all of the time with my dc - the thing I thought was really bugging my dc wasn't what I thought it was, and then some other random thing I had no idea was incredibly important to them was the struggle. Just today my older ds was so upset because I'd moved some afternoon things around - I thought this would be a good thing - you know, change it up a little after Christmas. But, he apparently lives for outdoor time for a long period of time in the mid-afternoon with just my middle ds. :shock: Of course, he didn't say this. He just had a very long face and was complaining about the whole afternoon in general. I just about laid down the law and said the new routine was sticking until we finally pin-pointed the problem. I thought, THAT'S what your upset about? Well, why didn't you say that right away?!? We can do that very easily. I guess he probably didn't know exactly what it was or how to put it into words either. Anyway, you are such a good mom to sit down and really talk this through with your little guy. This is a good reminder to me to try to always do this with my dc when a problem arises as well. Thanks for getting back to us! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

faroutback

Post by faroutback » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:26 pm

I know I am a little late chiming in on this one, but I just wanted to thank everyone also. Your insight has opened my eyes to what may be a major part of our daily quibbles and quarrels. Thank you I am excited to try some of these ideas next week with our ds. :D Thank you thank you. You all have given me a blessing today.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 am

Thank you so much for this post... not that we are in Bigger or to that level yet, but because of the grace chips idea.... that will work SO WELL for my two older ones!!! Thanks!!

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 pm

@MomtoJGJE I have to admit when the therapist suggested this discipline I thought she was crazy!!! but I did agree to try it and I was astounded at how quickly my dd1 stopped manipulating and behaving horribly. All it took for us was 3 days. (and of course the occasional testing period).
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Reporting back...
We started Unit 8 in Bigger Hearts this week with my 7 year old son - 2 days under our belt and it has been PERFECT!
I follow the guide AS IS - put the timer on for 30 minutes and when the time is up - we break for 30 minutes. He is free to do whatever he desires. When the timer beeps again we go back to school for another 30 minutes, and so on and so forth...- and guess what? It only takes 2 hours to do school work now...even with DITHOR. The attitude is changing and he informed me that school was fun!
So...thanks a million for all your advice. I KNEW the problem was not HOD!
Dorla

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Dorla,

Thanks so much for updating us on Samuel's progress. I'm so proud of him and glad to see that you're finding a pattern that works for his schooling. This board is such a blessing as we can put our minds together to come up with a personalized solution to each family's situation. :D

So often a thread of someone else's blesses more people than we'll ever know. So, thanks for posting your situation, so others can be blessed by it too. Tell Samuel we're so glad that he is finding school fun once more. :D More often than not, the problem is never what we think it is. You're such a good mom for working to get to the heart of the matter. God is blessing your diligence. :D

Blessings,
Carrie