High School...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

High School...

Post by Marsha » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:45 am

We are planning and doing some research today for High School.
I think this is my plan and would love some input and suggestions.

I want her to do Ancients along with us using Creation to Christ.
I am thinking of adding these(also if you can tell what credits they can get for these and if this is too much or redundant)

Bible and Worldview-Starting Points
English- Analytical Grammar or Hands-on English
Writing-Write with the Best
History and Literature-Beautiful Feet books Ancient History pack
Science-Apologia Biology with labs or maybe the CLP Biology book

For Electives she is interested in Photography or Spanish or Website Designing, so I will need curricula for that.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

Marsha

Re: High School...

Post by Marsha » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:00 pm

Would Beautiful Feet books and Bible and Ancient Thought by Cornerstone Curriculum be too much?
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi Marsha!

You are one year ahead of me, but I've been thinking about this a lot. I was going to ask the same question you just asked.... I thought the Cornerstone Curriculum was considered the "core". If so, it would definitely be too much! I really like your idea about keeping the kiddos in the same "history". What I was thinking I may do is the CTC with extensions and include a semester research paper. I also like the idea of Cornerstone just because I like the way it gently leads the young person to "think" about what he/she is reading, etc. I want to add College Prep Plus and lean heavily on science and math for my college bound boys. We plan to do an Anatomy class via a college text - my doctor husband will teach this one :) - AND this will go nicely with my other child doing CTC's science. I am hoping that both boys will be either in Geometry or Alg. II. I can plan this all out, but I also really want to see what Carrie has for HOD's next guide and I may be able to tweak that enough for our first year of high school!?!!

So much to consider!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:51 pm

The Cornerstone and the BF would be too much in my opinion. Are you just reading the books from BF (book basket approach)? Several of the books are not difficult reading. I have not read it myself, but I have heard warnings on Quo Vadis (spelling?). I would definately preread that one. You could look at SMARR literature and pick a couple of guides to do to add to the literature or use the ones from Beautiful Feet. I would give 1 history, 1 English, 1 Science credit for what you are looking at. ACE and some other publishers have Old Testament survey courses. MFW has them read through the Old Testament. Either of theses choices, or something else, could cover a Bible credit. I also like just reading the Bible and filling in the guide, Balancing the Sword. Do you have something picked out for math? We like Teaching Textbooks. Are you needing a foreign language or an elective? MFW has a map book you could add along with the geography book in CTC with possibly something like the free download Seterra for 1/2 geography credit. I haven't seen the MFW map book, so I am not sure how much of it goes along with the CTC time frame. They use it the next year also. What is your child interested in? My son does DVDs for the funeral home we own so we are giving a credit for that (He spent hours getting it set up and now spends hours producing them.) I am still thinking of a good title for that course. I would probably lean toward a "fun" credit or 1/2 credit of some kind. My sons are taking some art classes right now for 1/4 credit. Remember, you are the mom. These are only ideas.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:14 am

I think I have my plans now......

Bible-Study of Genesis 1-11;Read Adam and His Kin and In the Days of Noah; keep a Docrtine Notebook; plus do Character Studies on Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph
Personal Development; Read Before You Meet Prince Charming

Geography: Read A Child's Geography Volume 2, Letters From Egypt, and A Traveller in Rome and do mapwork.

English/Literature: Analytical Grammar, Write with the Best/Teaching the Essay/Teaching the Research Paper or The Elegant Essay, and Literature from Heart of Dakota and Beautiful Feet Books

History: Listen in on Heart of Dakota and do Beautiful Feet Ancient Set

Science: Apologia Biology with Labs

Photography-Online Course

Math-Mathusee Geometry

Choir- Will join

Piano-Learn using Piano For Life cd's and practice
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4