Singapore Primary Math Home Instructor's Guide???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Alison in KY

Re: Singapore Primary Math Home Instructor's Guide???

Post by Alison in KY » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:24 am

I tried using Singapore 4-6 yrs ago when the HIG's were just being written. This was before I'd ever heard of HOD. Anyway, for me, I was always wondering if my kids were supposed to master those concepts before moving along, what they should know when, etc. Things just seemed to move along fine, then too fast, then fine and I never could figure out what Singapore wanted from the teacher. I just knew that from research, teacher's in Thailand who actually used the book had other books, training, etc to go along with teaching it...so I had one piece of the puzzle and I couldn't figure out how to pull the other pieces together. So I think I understand exactly what you are talking about. In the end, I quit using Singapore somewhere around 1B. It was just moving too fast for my son, and I couldn't figure out to what to do with it when it moved too fast, so I tried a few different programs before finding what worked for all of us. Somewhere along the way I did wind up buying a HIG or two, one was even free for awhile. I think they were all written by a woman on the singaporemath message board. I would suggest that if you stick with singapore math, you should probably bite the bullet and buy the HIG. It'll fill in the missing links that you aren't getting and help you understand where the program is coming from. Like someone mentioned earlier, I think if I were to come back to Singapore math now, it would be easier since I have a few years of homeschooling under my belt and I just feel much more experienced in teaching math.

HTH,

Alison

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Personally, I think that Carrie's activities are great by themselves. They seem to teach the concepts well. We used Singapore 1A/1B along with another math program while we did LHFHG and we just used the activities in Beyond. If we choose to go with 2A/2B (we still use another math program too since C LOVES math) then we'll get Bigger for the activities. But I think that the concepts are perfectly explained with the lessons Carrie has included. I personally don't see the need for the textbook or HIG.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:44 pm

We have not found the need to own the HIG and are doing 4A with my oldest and finishing 1B with my youngest. I really have enjoyed the combination of the HOD hands-on plans with the Singapore workbooks in the Earlybird K levels on up through Level 2B. In 3A, when there are no longer hands-on activities written by HOD, we found it to be an easy transition. The textbooks are only needed for 1A - 2B if you do not have the certain HOD guide that contains hands-on plans for them.

To do the hands-on HOD math plans for 1A and 1B, you need the Beyond manual. To do the hands-on HOD math plans for 2A and 2B, you need the Bigger Hearts manual. When doing the HOD hands-on math plans, the Singapore textbooks are not needed. The HOD math plans are the instruction.

The LHFHG Appendix has a schedule for 1A/1B Textbooks and Workbooks. IMO, this is really just a nice extra HOD includes in case your child is ready for more difficult math than scheduled in the daily plans. Likewise, the Beyond Little Hearts Appendix has a schedule for 2A/2B Textbooks and Workbooks. IMO, another nice extra again. :D

My favorite combination has been the HOD hands-on math plans and workbook for 2B on down. To me, it was worth it to buy the higher level of HOD guide to do this when needed. I do think it is important to remember that this is first grade math we are talking about. Thankfully not so difficult yet :D , and certainly given time dc do better with these concepts as many are considered introductory at this level.

Any math can be used with HOD. The HIG can easily be added if that is your desire as well. We've not found the need for it, but others have enjoyed it and you may as well. Good luck as you decide what fits you best, kamaridan! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Just to clarify, I have not used Singapore math with a HOD guide, my trials with Singapore came before I had heard of HOD.

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:13 am

I'm pretty old school when it comes to math. I went to elementary school in the late 60s/early 70s, just to give you some perspective of where I am coming from. I had never heard of number bonds either, although they are similar to the fact families I used with my older children. My older two went through Horizons, some Saxon, BJUP, and eventually Teaching Textbooks with my middle child. Singapore is unlike anything I've used and as I've looked ahead at Singapore books, I realize I need the HIG for me. I am not strong in math--both my kids passed me early in geometry (my son is an engineering major who loves math--most of his high school years were done independently.) I found that I liked Carrie's math explorations for my son, but I needed to know where Singapore was going with their philosophy. (We're in BLHFHG, btw, and have just started 1B in Singapore's primary math). I have found the HIG very helpful. Starting with the HIG as soon as they are available has given me a foundation in Singapore that I feel I need to adequately teach my son, mostly because I'm unlearning everything I've known for the last 40+ years. I often combine with the math activities from my HOD guide. Without the HIG I would have had the tendency to teach math the way I learned--borrowing, carrying, etc., but that isn't the way Singapore does things, and would have been confusing for me and my son down the road, I'm afraid. So, I'm in the camp of one who finds the HIG necessary, even along with Carrie's activities. You do what you need to do for you and your child. Period.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:24 pm

Jen in Va wrote:I'm pretty old school when it comes to math. I went to elementary school in the late 60s/early 70s, just to give you some perspective of where I am coming from. I had never heard of number bonds either, although they are similar to the fact families I used with my older children... I am not strong in math... I found that I liked Carrie's math explorations for my son, but I needed to know where Singapore was going with their philosophy. (We're in BLHFHG, btw, and have just started 1B in Singapore's primary math). I have found the HIG very helpful. Starting with the HIG as soon as they are available has given me a foundation in Singapore that I feel I need to adequately teach my son, mostly because I'm unlearning everything I've known for the last 40+ years. I often combine with the math activities from my HOD guide. Without the HIG I would have had the tendency to teach math the way I learned--borrowing, carrying, etc., but that isn't the way Singapore does things, and would have been confusing for me and my son down the road, I'm afraid. So, I'm in the camp of one who finds the HIG necessary, even along with Carrie's activities. You do what you need to do for you and your child. Period.

This is sooooooo funny that you posted this message!! I just received my HIG for 1b was coming on to the board to post a reply to this thread and here you are taking the words right out of my mouth! Though I was in elementary school a few years later than you I totally agree with you on the teaching method, many times I have gone back to what I know to explain a topic and probably caused more frustration than was necessary. I do love the hands-on teaching in Beyond, BUT I felt frustrated in my own lack of knowledge the SM method, I can see that the HIG will be by my side as we go through math lessons. I have felt like one of the blindfolded men trying to figure out what animal was in front of me by only feeling it's ear! Now I know what I'm dealing with and feel more confident that we can finish out the year successfully! There is another plus to using the HIG, it spells out what your child should master before moving on to a new concept.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017