Can we talk about High School?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Missy OH

Can we talk about High School?

Post by Missy OH » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:45 pm

I would like to buy our curriculum in March. What do you use or what do you think you might use? Looking for ideas in every subject. I am very interested in English and History opinions. My son definitely needs writing and grammar still.

I know we will use Jacob's Geometry and Apologia Biology for 9th grade, but this is as far as we've gotten. My ds is very interested in computer programming type stuff, but I don't know where to begin there.

Is this an ok topic for this board??

Blessings,
Missy

Marsha

Re: Can we talk about High School?

Post by Marsha » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:20 pm

I would love to chat about High School.
I will have a 9th grader next year too.
Here is my plan so far.
I plan to place everyone in HOD CTC.
This is what I plan to add for my 9th grader......
English-Uncertain
Writing-Write with the Best
Math-Mathusee Algebra(she is doing Life of Fred this year)
History-Beautiful Feet's Ancient Senior set
Science-Science for High School by Bridget Ardoin

Nothing is set in stone yet. These are what I have looked at and liked.
I would love to see other's ideas.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

Missy OH

Post by Missy OH » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Marsha it is so neat you mentioned CTC w/ Beautiful Feet's Ancient Sr. This is one of the combinations I am considering as I have two children I'm considering CTC for next year. At the very least my ds could do the Bible assignments.......

We are doing R&S English 7 this year, and I'm wondering if he can still earn an english credit doing book 8?

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:56 pm

I have a freshman and a sophomore right now. Last year for English we used Analytical Grammar. After that they have high school supplements where you are only doing one page every two weeks to keep the skills current. Yes, I would count Rod and Staff 8 for a high school credit (One of my boys had just already used it.) We are also using Cornerstone Curriculum's Year one. This covers worldview, literature and Bible well. We use Teaching Textbooks for math and Apologia for science, but it looks like you are covered there. I love the BJU high school history texts. We are adding the matching chapters (time frame) to the Cornerstone Curriculum. I think if you are planning to use HOD CTC, the BJU text would be a great add on. We also are listening to the BC tapes from Vision Forum. When my next child reaches high school, we will be doing more of what you are planning--adding on to the HOD with the BJU texts and SMARR literature or the coverage through Cornerstone Curriculum. I also like IEW writing for high school.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:12 pm

I would love to get a list of things to use for High School.
I am trying to plan. Apologia science is an option too.
We could do Apologia Biology with Ancients.

WHat ideas do you have for Ancients for High School?
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.