Update: In case you missed it.... Science for RTR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Update: In case you missed it.... Science for RTR

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:07 pm

Ladies,

After announcing what I thought was a firm decision on the science (see below), I now have to update this thread to let you know we are once again looking in quite a different direction in the science area for the upcoming guide RTR. As I was mapping out the science for the upcoming year, there continued to be a nagging doubt that this was not the route the Lord desired for us to go for the new guide RTR. While the texts of God's Design are beautiful and are very God-honoring, for our situation they are not nearly as narrative as we desired for a CM-style education in the sciences. :D

I knew this from the beginning but had suppressed this feeling with the more powerful coverage mentality. So, rather than looking innovatively for narrative texts that lead to deeper understanding, I instead focused on looking for solid coverage. As I was awake late at night pondering, I was once again reminded that at HOD we're not looking for an education that is an inch deep and a mile wide but are instead looking for a deep, meaningful experience that leads kiddos to be inspired to search further on their own topics of interest. This led me to see that a change was in order in the science text selection. :D

My beloved sister and I are currently pouring over some very good options that fit better with the HOD philosophy. We'll hopefully be sharing our new thoughts for science around Thanksgiving time. :D As we work toward making this important decision, we ask that you will remember us in prayer. Below, you can see my original post: :wink:

Just in case you missed it on the end of another thread, here is a firm update on the science for RTR: :D
We are firmly planning on using God's Design for Heaven and Earth 3 book series for RTR: Our Planet Earth, Our Weather and Water, and Our Universe. These have been newly re-released in full color (and are beautiful) and have additions for a challenge section (to take it further in each lesson for up through 8th grade), along with a Teacher Supplement (with complete answers and a printable CD for all needed pages). We really like the looks of these for our earth science focus in RTR. Science would be done this way 3 times a week, with a fourth day each week being devoted to a chapter (and written narration) from a biography about an earth scientist to give it a more living feel. :D

We are currently planning two options for the biography part. One option will use Exploring Planet Earth by John Hudson Tiner, Along Came Galileo, and a biography of Isaac Newton written by John Hudson Tiner. The other option will include Champions of Science by Tiner, Champions of Mathematics by Tiner, Along Came Galileo, and a biography of Isaac Newton. The reason for having two options is that some parents will already have used Exploring Planet Earth in our extension pack in Bigger Hearts, so those parents could select the other option.

We are very excited about this plan and its earth science focus! Here's a link to the science books that I mentioned above. This way you can have a look inside:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 7,191.aspx

The other two books we would use are linked below as well:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 8,191.aspx

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 9,191.aspx

We will be omitting the Beginner Section of each lesson and using the upper level material that comes after the Beginner Section. These include the upper level text, the blue boxes (with activities), the burgandy boxes (with questions to answer), and the green boxes (which are the challenge sections for older students in grades 6-8). We will also require some vocabulary words to be done weekly (from the lesson, using the glossary in the back of the science book). Happy perusing! :D

Now for those of you who desire a different science path, rest assured that the beauty of HOD is that you can easily choose a different science path if desired. However, for those of you who love it all planned out for you, we pray you'll love the variety of science materials you get to use from year to year through HOD.

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Re: In case you missed it.... Science for the new guide RTR

Post by water2wine » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:30 pm

We're excited about these pick too! Looks like lots of variety but still like a science unit study within the HOD unit study. My kids will love it! :D RTR here we come, in a year that is. :wink: But it's fun to look ahead and even better when it is planned for you and you know it will be perfect for your family! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 am

Wonderful picks for science! I am so glad that they have added color to these books!
I'm getting pretty excited about this next level!
:D
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:38 am

Oh, I love the looks of most of the Answers in Genesis books. I just wish I had the money to buy them all! I'm looking forward to these books. :D
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:45 am

Awesome!! :D I was very close to buying it in addition to what my dc are already doing because it looks so neat and we just love AIG!
Great choice!

God bless, Michelle
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 am

I love AIG resources! I was contemplating getting the curriculum for my son. Now we'll just wait a few years until he gets to the RTR guide. Hooray! :D
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 pm

Oh, I am so excited! I love AiG and have wondered how to fit in their science curriculum in myself with what we are already doing. I am so glad that you are using these resources. I have several more years until I get to RTR but I am looking forward to it! Thank you for the research you do in finding the right resources for each guide.

Stephanie
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Update: In case you missed it.... Science for RTR

Post by Carrie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Ladies,

After announcing what I thought was a firm decision on the science (see my original post), I now have to update this thread to let you know we are once again looking in quite a different direction in the science area for the upcoming guide RTR. As I was mapping out the science for the upcoming year, there continued to be a nagging doubt that this was not the route the Lord desired for us to go for the new guide RTR. While the texts of God's Design are beautiful and are very God-honoring, for our situation they are not nearly as narrative as we desired for a CM-style education in the sciences.

I knew this from the beginning but had suppressed this feeling with the more powerful coverage mentality. So, rather than looking innovatively for narrative texts that lead to deeper understanding, I instead focused on looking for solid coverage. As I was awake late at night pondering, I was once again reminded that at HOD we're not looking for an education that is an inch deep and a mile wide but are instead looking for a deep, meaningful experience that leads kiddos to be inspired to search further on their own topics of interest. This led me to see that a change was in order in the science text selection. :D

My beloved sister and I are currently pouring over some very good options that fit better with the HOD philosophy. We'll hopefully be sharing our new thoughts for science around Thanksgiving time. As we work toward making this important decision, we ask that you will remember us in prayer. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:46 pm

I've mananged to bump my own thread down the board! :lol: So, I'm bumping it back up!

Blessings,
Carrie

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Carrie wrote:
My beloved sister and I are currently pouring over some very good options that fit better with the HOD philosophy. We'll hopefully be sharing our new thoughts for science around Thanksgiving time. As we work toward making this important decision, we ask that you will remember us in prayer. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

I'm praying for both of you! To be honest, though I really do like the AiG texts and would be very satisfied with them, when I read your earlier posts, I just had a little feeling that you may be changing your mind. I really did!

I appreciate you! Whatever you decide will be great because it will be God's will. :)
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Carrie and Julie,
We are all so incredibly thankful for you! Looking forward to hearing more details in a few weeks!!! Please promise us you'll relax and enjoy Thanksgiving :)
Praying for guidance for you...
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:44 pm

i'm excited to see what you will pick. the original looked good, but have to say i would have probably picked something like Apologia's science instead because it is more Cm style and cheaper. i wouldn't have spent all the money on the other science texts :cry:
my kids are young and we are just starting our adventure but i keep a heads up as to what is in our future. :)

Thanks Carrie for great curriculum and thought put into it.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Wow! I am so excited all over again! Honestly, while I really like AiG stuff, I was a little disappointed. We are so SO enjoying our Science Notebooks this year with Preparing. All of my dc have increased in knowledge in science, but also in skill by simple copy work and copy-drawing. We have especially enjoyed the weekly science experiences that causes us to really THINK! It's amazing how much information is out there for us to take in, but does it really demand that we think about why it works or happens, etc. That is what I am loving about HOD. It helps us to help our children to think, not just regurgitate.
Anyway, I repeat, I cannot wait to hear what your final answer will be! Thank you for thinking this through so thoroughly for us!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:01 pm

I am glad you are revisiting this. I know I am probably in the minority, but that series is not one of my favorites. I am so glad you keep us updated. I really look forward to the sneak peeks.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 am

The adventure continues. We'll be excited to see what you pick. I am sure it will be even better. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)