Igniting Your Writing vs. Write With the Best

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inHistiming

Igniting Your Writing vs. Write With the Best

Post by inHistiming » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Just wondering if these are comparable or if one is better than the other. I already have IYW, so obviously saving the money would be great, but i want to make the best choice. Suggestions?

4froggies

Re: Igniting Your Writing vs. Write With the Best

Post by 4froggies » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:20 pm

We love Write with the Best. :) I love how it is broken down into very doable parts- it keeps my dd from getting overwhelmed. We just finished our second unit in it, and the writing that my dd is producing is definately better because of Writing with the Best. Plus, she's enjoying it! I have not used IYW, but just wanted to share how much we are enjoying Write with the Best.
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I have used both. I like IYW a lot when I first saw it and it worked pretty good, but I like Write with the Best, best! I love how it is broken down into bite size pieces. It has helped my dd create her best writing. She loves to write and has spent countless hours and numerous reems of paper writing books--she even had a series going, so I felt writing must come naturally, but I wanted her to take what she does and get some concrete info on why good writing is good writing.

Hope all of that helps, both are good programs, but I prefer Write with the Best!

Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks so much for the responses....is WWTB scheduled in the TM for CTC ?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:13 pm

Yes, Write with the Best is scheduled within CTC twice weekly. It does take teaching time to do Write with the Best and is a more intensive writing program than Igniting Your Writing. So, it will also depend on whether you want to teach the program or whether you want your child to do the program more independently as to which will be a better match for your particular situation. Just something to ponder. :D

We have used both programs with our oldest son, and I like the structured teaching of Write with Best better, as it guides kiddos toward producing a more specific product (and has a great checklist in the back that kiddos can use in later years when called upon to produce this type of writing). However, I found Igniting Your Writing to be a good one-year course for my oldest son to do independently (once a week). It was very creative and brought out that side of his writing with little help or instruction from me. :D So, in the end it will really depend on how much time you available to devote to writing, and how independent you desire your child to be in this area for this particular year. I would definitely put Write with the Best on your list to do someday, if you don't do it this year, as it is outstanding! :D

Blessings,
Carrie