A Quick Spelling Poll

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3musketeers

A Quick Spelling Poll

Post by 3musketeers » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Fellow HODies,
I am having one of my "second thoughts about dictation only for spelling" days. Both dss are thriving with Bigger and Preparing dictation lists. But the traditional teacher in me still draws me back to some type of "spelling text". So I thought I would take a quick poll to see what you all do? Do you use HOD list/ dictation only, use a phonics based curriculum, use a word family/list (sight)based curriculum, a traditional text (ie BJU, MCP, R&S, or ABEKA), or something else?
I'm off to read the archives for encouragement ,that sticking with dictation will pay off in the long run. If you have a minute to share your spelling thoughts I would love to hear your imput. :D
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Daisy

Re: A Quick Spelling Poll

Post by Daisy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:15 pm

I was using the Bigger spelling lists and I love them but my son needed some phonics practice. Instead of adding back in a phonics program, I decided to use R&S Spelling 2 (which I was familiar with from my daughter).

My daughter is still just doing the level 4 dictation in CTC. We like it. I do have her correct her spelling across subjects so she is getting plenty of practice in writing, dictionary skills, etc. If she struggles with a word in the dictation I pull out The ABC's and All Their Tricks to help her with a rule.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:52 pm

We're using All About Spelling. It uses phonics rules, but you also will dictate phrases and sentences in the program. This is not an independent spelling program. It certainly works for us. We do a combination of oral and white board work.

Alison

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi -

I had gone with the straight dication method, which I think is adequate, BUT my 10 year old a a month or so ago came to me in tears and said he felt like he was such a horrible speller and he really needed more spelling instruction, so I pulled All About Spelling back out to appease him. We do that in addition to dication.

With Joy!
Florence
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 pm

We're doing the dictation in Preparing. That's it. :D It's going great for us!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi!

I am only doing the dictation with dd10 who is in CTC this year. Last year was our first exposure to dictation and I really liked it. It made so much sense to me!She is a naturally good speller, but if she were struggling I would consider pulling in a supplement. Sometimes it takes her a few days to get the dictation passage correct, but I don't consider that struggling, mostly her mistakes are punctuation. I am doing Beyond with my dd7 and the spelling lists in there are beneficial, but can't wait until we get to dictation. I have noticed my Beyond dd can spell the words in a list, but misses them when writing sentences/stories/letters/etc.

I hope you find the encouragement you need and I would say that if you kiddos are doing well with dictation then keep going and don't supplement. That is just my little piece of advice!

jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:13 pm

Well, we have struggled with spelling with my dd while my oldest son has excelled. So this is what I think we're going to be doing: ds will do the dictation in CTC, level to be determined upon receipt of guide; dd will do level 1 dictation in PHFHG plus grade 3 R& S Spelling...because she needs the extra practice, rules, something. I have noticed improvement with her but it has been very s-l-o-w, and I'm hoping this will help her this year. I do plan to take it slow and alternate, so I don't overload her. We won't do dictation and the spelling worlbook on the same day I don't think. With my youngest 2 children, I plan to do the spelling in HOD as is until I notice they are having any problems, then we'll re-evaluate at that time.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:08 pm

We're doing only the dictation with CTC, and I am really pleased with my ds's spelling, even within his own writing. His written narrations have only a few spelling errors, as well as his other writing. Spelling has always been a concern for me with my oldest ds because he was very premature and had speech therapy for several years. He had a harder time with spelling at first, but the CM Methods in HOD have really helped him blossom. We also did dictation only last year with PHFHG. The year before that with BHFHG, I did R & S Spelling along with the dictation and ended up dropping R & S Spelling halfway through the year because I thought there was little retention from it and no carryover into my ds's writing. :D (On the day he passed his spelling "test" in R & S, he misspelled two of those exact words in his own writing in the next subject :shock: I pointed out that he'd missed those words and he told me, "Yeah, I really don't remember these words after I'm done with them, mom." That was the day I dropped it).

I have been on this spelling journey you are on, and all I can say is my journey has led me to believe dictation is enough, and not only enough, but the best, most effective way to teach spelling in such a way that it is carried over into personal writing (which is really the goal of all spelling) :D . I'd throw out a challenge to give dictation (following the procedure detailed in the HOD guides) a fair shake on its own for a year or two, and then add spelling back in if you think your dc still need it, but if you are feeling really torn about this, you can always add in some other spelling this year too. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 pm

I was very concerned switching my oldes ds to dictation only. The public school teacher has a hard time letting go sometimes :oops: After reading some posts (Julie mostly) I realized the reasons most gave where what I was concerned about as well. My ds would spell the words correctly in spelling but in writing would misspell. I talked to my husband. We decided to give it a try (we could always go back to a "regular" spelling program). However I don't think that will be necessary. My ds LOVES dictation, yes I said loves!!!! Most importantly I am seeing the carry over into his writing. Yesterday he had to write a paragraph in grammar. He only missed 2 words!!!! :D Thanks Julie & Carrie for helping me implement CM methods!!!!
2 thumbs up for dictation
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:49 pm

I am totally feeling the dictation encouragment. Thank you ladies for participating in this little poll. I thank you all. I also truly love that no matter what curriculum choices different families have made on this forum. Everyone is sooooo encouraging. Not so on other boards.
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:22 am

mskogen wrote:...My ds LOVES dictation, yes I said loves!!!! Most importantly I am seeing the carry over into his writing. Yesterday he had to write a paragraph in grammar. He only missed 2 words!!!! :D Thanks Julie & Carrie for helping me implement CM methods!!!!
2 thumbs up for dictation
Hooray! I'm so glad to hear this, Michelle! :D :D :D I had a hard time doing dictation only too, but have been relieved with the change and happy with the results. It's great to hear your ds is carrying good spelling habits to his own writing. That's really what we want with spelling, so I'm so happy you're seeing those results. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 am

3musketeers wrote:I am totally feeling the dictation encouragment. Thank you ladies for participating in this little poll. I thank you all. I also truly love that no matter what curriculum choices different families have made on this forum. Everyone is sooooo encouraging. Not so on other boards.
I agree - this board is very encouraging! :D I think we've all been through or are going through a lot of the same concerns and struggles, so I'm glad you posed this question, and whatever you decide to do - I hope it brings you the results and the peace with that decision you desire. :D One other thing I just thought of - the results of dictation are a slow burn - they don't happen over night, which is why CM advocated doing dictation often and for many, many years. I see the fruits of it so much now, but at the beginning level of dictation, it was slow going for my ds. Now, in level 4 he's off and running. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:22 pm

We're doing HOD's dictation passages and Rod & Staff Spelling. I love the combo.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Another plug for dictation only! We are doing dictation from CTC this year with my dd, who has stuggled with spelling in the past. I was also very apprehensive about not doing a separete spelling program, but she is doing SO well this year using only dictation!
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

sewpeaceful

Post by sewpeaceful » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:51 pm

We tried traditional spelling for 2 years. Although my dd had straight A's and passed nearly every test, 2 weeks later, she couldn't remember how to spell a given word. She had excelled at short term memory and there wasn't an opportunity for long term memory. We tossed up our hands and gave dictation a whirl. Low and behold, because of the way HOD's dictation is designed, she is constantly reusing words from previous lessons so they are inherently getting drilled into long term memory.

As a side note, I am sitting behind you in that boat of traditional public school methodology that MOST of us grew up with. I feel comfortable there. What I am slowly discovering is that CM's methods are SO much more effective. I regularly tell my hubby that I feel like our kids aren't getting enough so we chat. In chatting, I realize they are getting PLENTY. Not only are they getting plenty, but they are retaining it. Short and sweet really is better. My husband laughed last night when I said, "I guess I am just not used to school being easy." After banging my head against the wall doing public school in my home, I am realizing and embracing homeschooling. We are ALL happier for it. But then time passes and I find myself rowing again instead of merrily drifting along in discovery... then my hubby laughs and takes the oars back out of my hands. I guess what I am saying is I get it but toss those silly oars aside and enjoy the ride. :)

Blessings.