Adventure book for storytime

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Christianna

Adventure book for storytime

Post by Christianna » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Ok, so we started Snow Treasure for our Adventure book. My boys are 7 and 9. I'm thinking it's too advanced for my 7 year old and maybe even my 9 year old?
Who has read this book with their children and how was it? Ages of kids? Did they like it?

Thanks!
***Christianna****
Mom to 4 precious kids
Married for 14 years
Starting Little Hands, Beyond and Bigger in the fall (our first year using HOD! 2nd year Hsing)

ncmomof5

Re: Adventure book for storytime

Post by ncmomof5 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 pm

We just finished this book, and we really enjoyed it. The kids always looked forward to storytime each day. I read this book to a 11, 10, and 8 year old. Obviously, the older 2 got more out of it than the younger one, but they all enjoyed it. It was quite an exciting story taking many twists and turns along the way. I think your boys will like it as you get into and "the plot thickens." Maybe not, but that was our experience.

Also, sometimes when something happens that's big or intricate or important I stop and say," Do you understand what just happened here?" (in my excited voice :lol: ) Then we take a minute to talk about it. Just an idea if you are feeling like some things are over their heads.

HTH,
RuthAnn
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:11 am

Just finished reading it with my 7 year old and he loooooved it. It is quite an advanced book but he would tell me when his mind was going blank and I would explain it. This happened for the beginning chapters. He always wanted us to read more, more, more. He also asked a lot of questions about World War II.
Keep reading and maybe for the first few chapters you should be the one narrating at the end. It will help a lot.
Dorla

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:51 am

My 7 and 9 year old sons loved the book. My ds 9 just asked if he could read it to himself :wink: Sure sign he enjoyed it.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:11 am

My boys enjoyed it last year, too (ages 7 and 9 then). As with almost all the books we read, they don't seem to get into until we are in a few chapters :D .
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:22 am

We read it last year with ds 5, dd 7 and dd 8. They loved it! We started it during a big snowstorm, which was neat.
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:13 am

The first chapter was a little rough. I *thought* it was going to go over his head. But we finished it last week with my 7.5yo and HE LOVED IT! He literally begged his Dad to read it to him every night.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:38 pm

I love this book!! :D

My college professor read it to us in an el ed class, and I was on the edge of my seat every day eager to know what would happen. :wink: I read it to my kids when they were almost 7 and 3. (The 3 yo just happily listened along before nap time, but she did get a little out of it.) We read this book pre-HOD, so we had to come up with a different book for our adventure last year in Bigger.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH