LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SoaringEagle

LHFHG

Post by SoaringEagle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:20 am

Anybody else just on Unit 6? I'm am feeling so behind but trying not to get worried about it. We school 4 days/week so that makes it last longer. I know we won't be done before the end of May and that's ok. We'll just finish when we start back up in August. I was just wondering if I'm the only one...
~Juli~
Wife to P
Mommy to dd Froggie - age 7 - BLHFHG - August '10
ds Hot Wheels - age 4 - LHTH - August '10

http://soaringeagle91.blogspot.com/

water2wine

Re: LHFHG

Post by water2wine » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:36 am

Juli if it makes you feel better we are finishing unit three on our school and most of it is designed to be 4 days a week. :lol: Just illness and getting a late start. But you know what this is why we homeschool to not be a slave to the schedule. So I have just in my mind decided that we are going to have a new schedule and actually for it I am ahead. Hahaha! Why not. I have to tell you it makes me feel so much better. Why be burdened with being behind when you can be ahead instead. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:06 am

we started end of September. we are in middle of Unit two. we have been doing a co-op and had dr. appt , field trips, etc. we just plan to go all year long. Our last co-op is next week and that will give us more time also. we try to do 5 day plan. Things come up and sometimes we do day on the weekend. when the weather isn't so nice we will be stuck indoors so we are enjoying our pace and know that we ARE learning.

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:43 am

I'm doing Bigger, but we are only on week 6 too. PS doesn't usually let out until the middle of June around here, so I don't worry about it. My dh is a ps teacher, and it makes it hard to keep schooling once he is home.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

mariaw

Post by mariaw » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:10 am

Well, we are only on week 9, and we started last April. It was very freeing and empowering to start a new curriculum sometime other than August or September!!! Just finish the book, and start the new one then, whichever month it falls. There's no rule that you have to start and finish a book at a certain time. Just remember, in ps, they hardly ever get to the end of a book by the end of the year. Which is probably why the next year's book (in ps) contains so much review!! :D
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for all of your responses. I am started to stress less about it...once I figured we'd have to go through till July with no breaks just to finish. That wouldn't have worked so I'll just make sure to do everything I listed on my plan to the DOE and then finish up when we start back up.
~Juli~
Wife to P

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Juli,

I just wanted to encourage you too that since your little Froggy is only 6, he will still fall well within the range for LHFHG as you finish next year. LHFHG is a much richer program than what most kiddos are exposed to at age 6 in a different school setting, so you can rest assured that your little ones are getting a solid education that can last for more than one year per guide if needed. In all honesty, consistently progressing forward through the guides rather than rushing to catch up will give your kiddos more of a solid foundation in the skills needed eventually for higher level work. :D I compare it to this:

In my early years of homeschooling, I had always wanted to do a full-blown art study, full-blown composer study, full-blown foreign language study, full-blown nature walks etc. So, each year I would purchase a full-blown program for these areas and then feel very guilty about never getting to them consistently. Or, I would start strong and fade away as the rigors of life settled in upon us. I always made sure the needed academics were done, but the extras slipped by the wayside. :wink:

As I started reading more about Charlotte-Mason's philosophy, I realized that doing art study once a week, poetry study once a week, and a composer study once a week, and nature journal once week on a rotating basis was something I could honestly get done. I wasn't sure ANY progress would be made by only spending 15 minutes A WEEK on each of these areas, yet after doing it consistently over several years with my oldest son, I was amazed at how much he had gained in each of these areas. :D

So, when we began writing our curriculum, we implemented this method within our programs. You'll notice many areas that only come up once or twice a week for 15 to 20 minutes. Yet, as the guide moves forward each week that consistent bite-sized serving allows you to cover so many other things beyond just the 3 R's. I share this with you so that you know that through doing your HOD guide, even slowly and steadily, you are getting the extra bells and whistles that I never had time for with my oldest. Your kiddos are getting much more than you can imagine. :D

So, be encouraged!

Blessings,
Carrie

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Thanks Carrie.
~Juli~
Wife to P

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:23 pm

I have slowed down a bit too during the last few weeks due to beautiful weather, dh's fall break, dr.'s appts., etc. Now I'm getting ready to have surgery myself! We haven't done a five-day school week for a few weeks now. But we'll get back on track. And then I'm sure we'll get off again. I am constantly reminding myself that one of the nice things about hs is the flexibility. One good thing I've found about slowing down is that we get to spend longer with each Bible verse.
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:58 pm

We took over a year and a half to go through LHFHG, doing it half-speed for quite a long time, taking the summer off and then finishing it after that. It was a great decision for our little guy! He thoroughly enjoyed it, and it was the right pace for him - just enough without being overwhelming, plus I wanted to school 4 days a week. Worked great - I wouldn't sweat it if I were you, Juli. I think it sounds like you are doing awesome! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 pm

We just started unit 8 and only school 3-4 days a week. We did 3 units last spring. I'm in no rush to get through it. My dd is on the young end of the guide, so I figure we can take our time and really enjoy and have fun with it. :D
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:42 am

It's nice to know I'm doing ok...better to go slow and enjoy our journey, than speed through and not have any fun/needed breaks.
~Juli~
Wife to P

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:22 am

Well, we will have taken about two years to do Bigger when it's all said and done. But that's why I homeschool-so I don't have to worry about missing those great outdoor days, or other experiences when they come up. :-) In fact, my boys still take time off in the spring and the fall to help my dad with farm work (and one of the boys mentioned, "we're just like Almonzo!" :lol:)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Juli,

I agree with everything that the ladies have shared here! :D I have to tell you though that it took me a good couple of years homeschooling to switch the way I was thinking about what we needed to accomplish and when. :roll:

I'm only on unit 3 with my LHFHG kids. We had 3 units left of LHTH at the beginning of our year...and I'm so glad that we finished those units instead of skipping them! We had some wonderful talks about Jesus!!! :D I'm wanting to make LHFHG last 2 years, and we're thoroughly enjoying it. We will go half speed only 4 days a week this year. (So we'll only get 2 "days" worth done per week.) And then next year most likely I'll do it full speed with them 4 days a week. It truly is SOOO flexible! Enjoy it! And feel free to stretch it out! There really is a lot in these guides.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH