C. Miller/Guerber History Texts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Daisy

C. Miller/Guerber History Texts

Post by Daisy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:25 am

Is HOD going to incorporate any more of these texts?

Does anyone know about the Story of the Greeks which is in pre-order? I'd love to have it to add to this year's history. We are loving the Story of the Ancient World and don't want it to end!
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

water2wine

Re: C. Miller/Guerber History Texts

Post by water2wine » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Daisy I have learned that if it is good and covers the time period Carrie is going to use it. Thankfully that often ends up being things I have on my shelf and just never got to. I know she will get back to you when her life settles down but I will just tell you form experience that answer usually ends up being yes. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:30 am

Daisy,

I am SO glad that your family is enjoying The Story of the Ancient World. We loved it here too! It made the Old Testament come to life for us! :D

As far as CTC goes, we chose to go the Kemp route within CTC for Greece and Rome, rather than using the Miller books for a couple of reasons. One was due to the heavier content on myths in the Miller books. Another was that the Miller books were also quite a bit more graphic, and for the intended ages of CTC we felt it was a bit too much. Last, the Miller books had so much content that there was no way to schedule that many pages within CTC and still keep the reading of John and Acts as the focus of the history study, and we deeply wanted to use the Bible as the history spine for the life of Christ. :wink:

We again took a good hard look at the Miller books for our new guide RTR. However, we ran into similar issues with the level of graphic content and descriptions within Story of the Middle Ages. It reads wonderfully and with some editing is a VERY interesting book. But, we've gone with a different combination that meets the goals of RTR better overall. We won't be using the Miller books for renaissance and reformation either, as MOH III covers that time period so well within RTR. :wink:

We are still considering the Miller spines for The Thirteen Colonies and The Story of the Great Republic for future guides though. I do love them. :D Thanks for your patience in hearing back from me on this question.

Blessings,
Carrie

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:45 am

Here's a question. I understand completely why many would prefer to avoid the Greek/Roman myths at this age but IF you WERE to suggest a good book on myths, do you have a suggestion? A few I've considered have been...

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths
Nathaniel Hawthorn's A Wonder Book and Tanglewood Tales
Baldwin's Old Greek Stories
Kingsley's The Heroes

My daughter has read through Baldwin's 50 Famous series and I have the young Plutarch series by Gould.

Frankly, my daughter is just a voracious reader and enjoys very much fairy tales and the like. I'd like to pick one of the above books but I'm not sure which one. Maybe someone has a preference?
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:25 am

I like the D'Aulaire's book,and I haven't read any of hte others. I like a lot ofthe Usborne books for myths, too. They are more of factual type book and less of a story book, though. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: