Write with the Best is the Best!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Write with the Best is the Best!

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:53 pm

I have to say I was wondering how my ds would do with Write with the Best. When I first looked at it, I could tell it's a wonderful program, but writing just hasn't come naturally to my ds. Last year, he really blossomed with his creative writing of poetry in PHFHG, and I was so proud of him. But, I was unsure how it would go this year, considering he'd be patterning his writing after different excellent authors each week (as opposed to patterning his writing after the same increasingly more familiar author - Robert Louis Stevenson - each week as he did last year with PHFHG). Well, it's going great! :D We are loving Write with the Best! Here's Wyatt's first descriptive paragraph, which he chose to write about his 3-wheeler:

My 1982 racing three wheeler is ruby red and is a bucking, roaring, digging Honda ATC. Sometimes the dark black wheel treads catch my leg and pull me down. Other times I race my little brother down the grass grown ditch, while my smoke pipe smokes rapidly. My three wheeler slides on the wet slippery snow, while other times I take turns on two wheels. The other wheel's rim often catches the sun when its off the ground. My ruby red three wheeler, as you can imagine, puts on quite the show every day.

He was so excited I'd shared some of his writing on the board awhile back, and he asked me if I'd share this one with you. I told him only if it was his best work - and I think it is! :D It's not perfect, I know, but for this outdoor loving all boy kid, it's pretty good. :) I hope the rest of you are enjoying Write with the Best too - or looking forward to it in years to come! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Re: Write with the Best is the Best!

Post by Kathleen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:17 pm

I love the paragraph, Wyatt! :D I can totally picture the show you're putting on with your 3-wheeler. 8)

I may however have to keep this from Grant as we haven't opened up the world of ATV's to him yet. :wink: He would really be tempted to be jealous! He likes to ride on the 4-wheeler we have at the farm...he just doesn't get to drive yet.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Julie, you must be so proud. :D Wyatt did an excellent job writing that paragraph.

I'm so glad Write with the Best is working out. I may have to try it before we get to CTC. :)

Allison

MommyInTraining

Post by MommyInTraining » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 am

Julie,

Thanks so much for sharing! Please tell Wyatt that he did a terrific job of describing his 3-wheeler. So much so, that it makes me want to get one for my son! We don't have the space for that where we currently live. Could you tell me where your boys ride their 3-wheelers at?

Thanks again for sharing Wyatt's awesome paragraph with us!!!!
Terri

Mommy to 6 beautiful blessings:

DD-(almost)12yo
DS-9yo
DD-7yo
DD-5yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-3yo Little Hands w/Sissy
DS-1yo

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:43 am

Wyatt's paragraph was so descriptive that it made me pray for his safety :lol:

It also made me pray that i wouldn't get in the way of my own "all-boy" boy doing real boy things :D

Great job!
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

Sheila in OK

Post by Sheila in OK » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:10 am

Great job!! We are loving Write with the Best here too! :D

Sheila
09/10 School year:
DD 11 Bigger w/Extensions
DS 8 Bigger as written

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:38 am

Wooohooo Wyatt! Great job. :D Loved your paragraph. You are making me want to go out and hop on my racer, but sadly I do not have one. I enjoyed reading about yours though, so that is some consolation. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks, ladies! He's been beaming ever since I read your posts here. :D I pray for his safety on his 3-wheeler too - it's tough to let boys be boys sometimes. :shock: Growing up with sisters only, it's been an adjustment having boys only. But, I wouldn't trade it for anything. :D It's exciting to see how his learning how to write a good paragraph in Write with the Best is transferring to his writing in other areas. He just finished his Travel Log for his Geography of the Bible Lands. He had to write 3 descriptive paragraphs - each one describing a place in Turkey he'd learned about. He put up his fingers one at a time and listed off the 5 main rules he'd learned for writing a good paragraph from Write with the Best before he even began writing his paragraphs for his geography. I love the carryover I see in HOD. Anyway, thanks for all of your encouragement here - this board is full of ladies I respect and it's a privilege to share our days with you. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:10 pm

my3sons wrote: it's tough to let boys be boys sometimes. :shock:
I just have one and I can attest to that. They find danger wherever they can. And the worst is my dh. :lol: If they can ride it, blow it up or somehow mess with it (usually that involves things like possums on our deck the messing with not the blowing up hahahaha!)there is no stopping my dh and son. :lol: It's a guy thing. :roll:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Awesome job! It makes me want my own 3-wheeler.
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1