need advice with math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rainbowacreshs

need advice with math

Post by rainbowacreshs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:56 am

Hi all. My Kasey is near 13 we are listed as "7th grade" with our homeschool association. We are doing CTC with the basic history option in lieu of the exstention (she's not a strong reader). Now the good thing is with CTC I have watched in the course of 10 weeks her reading and writing improve up towards where I believe she should be. Before entering CTC I think she was about a year and a half behind, perhaps what we could term a struggling 5th grade. So right now I'm thrilled with her reading and writing skills.
Math, however is still an issue. I'm not sure what to do to help her move forward. It is not her best subject, in fact it wasn't mine either. For the most part I have her daddy help and or teach the lessons to her when he is home. We both have concurred that it isn't our teaching style thats holding her, she either just plain hates math or she may have some sort of learning block or both.
My hope and desire is for to be able to enter her high school years beginning at pre-algebra, but at this rate the best I see happening is maybe the following: 9th general math, 10th pre-algebra, 11th algebra, and 12th a duo of geometery and algebra II (this was the same route I took in highschool).
At this moment she is getting ready to finish saxon 65 (this week we will wrap up at lesson 100). I'm planning to move her into saxon 76 next week. It seems to have the first 20 lessons of solid review of all the basics (addition/sub/multiply/divide..etc...). Looking at reviews and the saxon web site this course is ideal for 6th or 7th grade.
Yet I'm unsure what to do.
I'm wondering if for this year to switch curriculums..hold her at the 6th grade level math...maybe try SOS math 6 (was given to me by a friend so I won't have to worry about spending money). Let her build some more solid skills, then as she compeletes the SOS move back into Saxon (since I do have the book for 76) for her eighth grade year, and then follow the course of above? She'll roughly be a year behind in math. As far as the future schooling, we are looking at encouraging the local technical school for her first two years or until she has enough credits to transfer to a 4 year. By her doing the technical school we can actually bypass the SAT and ACTs, because she could just do the entrance/placement exams for that school. Once she has established two years of credit she can easily transfer to a 4 year, depending on her desire of what she wants to do for a career.
Yeesh... planning for your teen is hard....
I know for most part I'm babbling, but any advice or encouragement would be great right now.
I am so grateful for this message board.
Thanks
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

dale1088

Re: need advice with math

Post by dale1088 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:18 am

Hi Jasmine, I don't think I have advice per se, as my oldest is just 9, but I just want to encourage you that you know her best - and want what's best for her. I think if she struggles with math at this age, then most likely she will not be going on to a career in college and life as a mathematician. Not to say you wouldn't want her to be as strong as possible, but when you say "behind" I wonder...behind who? (whom? :?: :roll: ) To me it seems like we fall off track when we rush too fast before making the foundation very, very solid.

I was not a good student in math, what you might call "behind", and I got into a 4-year college as a finance major! That was the wrong choice for me so I switched to psychology and did great. I didn't really need higher level math skills. What I look back on now and wish for was better self-discipline and study skills, a desire to work hard and see the results of that hard work.

I think your path sounds pretty good, Saxon is a VERY solid program, and if you can focus on helping her develop the love of learning, the love of the victorious feeling when you challenge yourself, the self-discipline that some things are hard and you just have to do it, well I think she'll be all the better for it.

I hope some other mommas who are where you are will chime in and help!!! {{Hugs}}
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:43 am

Jasmine,

I do think math is one of those subjects that people either seem to have a flair for or not. That is why so many "helps" have been created, like calculators, online banking, and accountants. :D That doesn't mean math isn't important and shouldn't be taught as well as possible, but I do think it puts it into perspective long-term. Your dd probably won't enjoy a math-related career, so the focus shifts to doing math as well as possible and then moving on. I think life application math becomes more important eventually - i.e. balancing a checkbook, managing a credit card, making a budget, etc. I think most 4 year colleges will accept students with lower math scores, as long as they take the appropriate entrance math course suggested (even while attending college). Tutors are often available too. Anyway, I think if Saxon is going well, then she might as well continue with it. If not and a change is desired, then I know there will be other ladies with advice. I like the looks of Video Text (though it is pricey). Otherwise, Teaching Textbooks, or I know Carrie is looking at another one I can't remember the name of but I looked at it and really liked it. I understand your concerns, but I just want to encourage you that if math is not dc's thing, something else will be, and that's the beauty of the diversity our Creator enjoys so much. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:12 am

Jasmine - Here's that other math program Carrie was looking at (Math Essentials). I've looked at it and like it as well. You can check it out on this thread, there's a link for it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4366&p=32206

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

erdrmom

Post by erdrmom » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:01 pm

I can't really offer any great advice from personal experience, other than my own. My kids are still very young. I personally know the man who wrote Video Text and he and his family are awesome! One of the things that he is a proponent of is not separating Algebra into 1 & 2. He wrote in an article about how that was artificially created to "fit" the public school schedule. Geometry is not a prerequesite for Algebra 2, and in fact, it is a whole different thought process. An understanding of Algebra 2, sometimes makes it easier for some students to understand Geometry.

From my personal experience, this was very true. I hated Geometry and when I took Algebra 2, Geometry started to make sense. (Just for full disclosure, I have a degree in engineering and a pretty much a minor in math (didn't file the paperwork).) And, I was MUCH better at math from Algebra on up, because it didn't require me to spit back facts, or repeat problems until I was bored. For me, the higher math allowed me to think. Also, to this day, I do not have my math facts memorized. Never did, never will. When I was working, I memorized the facts for 6's & 12's because I was always working in ft and in, but they have faded as I haven't used them. I was never fast at the "basic" math (+,-,x /), but I could "pass" the tests. But, I can set up and solve Algebra and Calculus problems quickly (except the number part :D ). She might surprise you as you move forward in the math.

Math is not everyones thing and I do realize that not everyone will respond the way I did. I totally get that. I wanted to share my experience to encourage you that you don't have to master the basics to move forward.

I do think that life skills math is vitally important. Maybe just helping her how math can be used in "real life" might help her see the benefit of math. Does she understand the concepts but just make calculation errors? For example, in the grocery store, which bag of rice is the best price? Can she figure out that you divide the total cost by the number of ounces to compare price per ounce of different sizes? If she gets the concepts, but messes up the numbers, maybe you could slowly progress, making sure she grasps the concepts. If not, maybe try to go back and figure out where the concepts were lost.

I truly hope this isn't confusing and helps you with your thought processes. God has a plan for your daughter and it may or may not include higher math. Either way, His plan is perfect for her. I will be praying for you as you work through what to do with math...it's tough!
Blessings,

Cindi
Loved teaching and learning through LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, & DITHOR
Planning for the upcoming year with DD10 in CTC half-pace and DS7 in BHFHG half-pace