Doubting my plan before i even start

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenntracy

Doubting my plan before i even start

Post by jenntracy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:59 pm

okay.. i asked about history storytimes in an earlier post. now i see that someone had a question about reading Pagoo to her 6 yr old.

my original plan was to have my oldest who is almost 6 and 2nd child 4.5 currently combine for the History side and do their own storytime. my daughter (the younger) for instance, would have storytimes and basics from LHFHG while doing the Beyond History with brother.This would be son's 1st grade and daughter's kindergarten if you were to put a grade on it.(this would be next fall in 2010)

Since in the later guides the storytimes tie into the history i thought maybe i should have her do the storytimes along with the History in the same guide. i didn't know if this would be pushing it. she would be 5.5 when starting the Beyond History and storytime if i did it this way.

or should i just keep her a storytime behind the histroy until i get to Preparing and then i will have to just skip the Bigger storytimes, since the preparing history is where she would be doing bigger storytimes only i wouldn't want to do that because the Preparing storytimes go with the Preparing histroy. then i could just do the Bigger storytimes at a later time if i wanted.

i just want to start off right with her. we have 3 more units in LHTH . i think she is getting excited to work alongside brother.i don't want them alwasy comparing thougth because my son does more of this and i don't want him thinking he is better than her .they are only 16 months apart.

Any opinions....maybe i am worrying over nothing.

Jenn D.

ugh... i thought i had it planned.... ugh.. maybe i shouldn't be doubting.

She does seem to be interested in the Thornton Burgess books lately (Buster Bear). she used to rarely listen when i would read to her brother. that to me was an indication that maybe i could read the same storytime to them both.

i am amazed at how lately she is wanting to write words (asks me how to spell things)and and how she is starting to write her letters so well.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

jenntracy

Re: Doubting my plan before i even start

Post by jenntracy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:47 am

okay i think i may have found my answer. i didn't think about mixing and matching the book packs. in my head i am thinking have to do the whole classic set or whole girl set, etc.

but ,no!

i can pick from among them. If You Traveled West in a Covered Wagon from the Girl interest set in Beyond looks very interesting for both my son and daughter and i can just save Pagoo for a later time.

Does this sound like a plan?

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:10 am

Yep! Sounds good! I'm going through the packs for Beyond--my ds is 6, almost 7--and am picking books that correlate with what we are reading in history, at least sort of, or books that I really enjoyed as a child, or that my older two enjoyed. Right now we're in historical fiction and studying the Pilgrims. I chose Little House in the Big Woods for him because a) it was on my shelves, b) couldn't get hold of The Cabin Faced West, c) it was one of my favorite books that my older two (boy and girl) enjoyed having read to them. I haven't decided which we'll do for fantasy as we've already read Charlotte's Web. I may even take a look at a book not listed for this and other genres. I think this is an area where there is a bit of flexibility.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:17 am

That is what I did. :D We are reading Squanto then most of the girls set and in one case I stuck something that was on my shelf in there. The sets are not mandatory they are just a help so that you do not have to decide what genre a book is and they are all good books. Check out he book store and you can see books by reading level and genre.http://www.heartofdakota.com/bookshop.php
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:23 am

water2wine wrote:That is what I did. :D We are reading Squanto then most of the girls set and in one case I stuck something that was on my shelf in there. The sets are not mandatory they are just a help so that you do not have to decide what genre a book is and they are all good books. Check out he book store and you can see books by reading level and genre.http://www.heartofdakota.com/bookshop.php
Yes, i thought Squanto would be a good one and i like that the reading level is on each book with the genre. that makes it soooo much simpler to choose.Don't know whayi didn't think of this sooner.

thank you ladies for confirming my decision.

sometmes it just helps to talk(write0 it all out and then get and an opinion :D

ps
i have the whole set of Little house books. i finally got the set when i was in college! i loved reading them when i was a kid over and over.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:54 pm

I mixed and matched the storytime books also. I did this more for saving money than any other reason, I bought all my books secondhand, so I bought what was least expensive. So far it has worked out beautifully, I may buy different books when my ds is doing Beyond, but only because I got mostly girl books the first time through. That's what I love about HOD, the flexibility!! :D :D
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:07 am

Yes - the flexibility of being able to mix and match should be used to your advantage, and it sounds like you are doing that now. There are so many wonderful books it is sometimes hard to choose, but I try to cover them all somehow, sometime. :D The HOD Book Shop lists all of the reading levels of the books, so that should help too. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie