living books about rome for 3rd grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kvmck

living books about rome for 3rd grader

Post by kvmck » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 pm

My son loves to read about Rome and he told me today "mom, I know about the army, their weapons and wars but I want to know other things, like what did they drink?" Does anyone have any suggestions about good books that he could read by himself or that I could read to him? I really like the christian liberty readers but I can't find that they have anything like that. We won't be studying this subject for awhile in HOD but he is so interested in it I thought it would be great for independent reading or story time.
Thank You
Kristen
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: living books about rome for 3rd grader

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:31 pm

That's a tough one! We had a hard time finding living books on Rome (that were also appropriate in content) for inclusion in our guides. There are many fact books on Rome that your son may enjoy, but finding the living ones are tougher. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:02 pm

We just bought the magic tree house book about Pompeii and ancient Rome along with the research guide, so we'll see how he likes those. I have not read any of the magic tree house books--what do any of you ladies think about them? I have few other books that will be appropriate when he is older, but he so loves this time period. I also got a book from the library by Caroline Dale Snedeker called "A Triumph for Flavius" that I'm going to read first--anyone every heard of this author or this book?

Thanks so much,
Kristen
Kristen

dd '07 LHTH

joyfulness

Post by joyfulness » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:00 am

Triumph for Flavius is used in Preparing so you might want to wait to read that one! :)

There's an Usborne book called Who Were the Romans? that you might be able to find at your library.
Joy
Navy wife and mom of four:
Mr J (10), Mr M (8), Miss M (6) & Miss B (4)

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the Flavius book and Preparing :) We've been out of town and haven't done any reading so Flavius has to go back to the library anyway.
Kristen
Kristen

dd '07 LHTH