WONDERFUL!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kissesmomof4

WONDERFUL!

Post by kissesmomof4 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:11 pm

Since we are not able to get out to church and we are behind schedule for getting started with school I figured today was as good as any to start with HOD.

We will definately have to find our schedule groove. Today things were delayed because I had to wait for my Grandmother-in-law (she lives with us) and my husband's aunt (visiting) to clear out of the diningroom. I have never seen a grown woman take literally an hour to eat a single bowl of cereal :roll: When we finally took the diningroom over I did the first page of boxes with the older kids.

Then I did a few boxes with my little guy. He is on day two and he loved the dishsoap in the baggie. I ended up having to tape it down to a piece of construction paper so that it would not wrinkle when he used his finger on it. I also had to have him put some powder on his fingers because they were sweaty. The older kids had to try it out too. I had to put it up so it would not get over used before we needed it again.

We took a lunch break and I laid down to rest my back (I have an injury I am trying to heal from). After that the older kids finished up. My 11yo was a little overwhelmed that he had a bit of extra work but we made it through with few tears.

Then I wrangled my 6yo into finishing his boxes. We modified the Bible verse basket toss game a little and my son loved it. He had an interesting interpritation of the art project but it worked ;) We have a lot of work to do with attention and following directions but we will get there.

I think we started at about 10:30 and finished at about 3:10. Not bad at all. That included an hour break in the middle. I am sure I can streamline this more when I am a little more confident and am used to what I am doing. The older children will be able to work on math and their Italics books by themselves most of the time so I can work with 6yo and shave some time off.

All I have to say is that this curriculum is wonderful. I have never been able to even come close to feeling like we had a successful day. The fact that we only had a few tears was a great testimony to how great it is. I even learned some new things about history that I did not know :D I am already looking forward to tomorrow. YAY!
Amanda
Mom of four, homeschooling two M13, D9 going on 10 struggling but making progress

ncmomof5

Re: WONDERFUL!

Post by ncmomof5 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm

That is great news!! So glad to hear that you are enjoying school. Isn't a great feeling to finally enjoy what you know you're supposed to do? :)

In His love,
RuthAnn
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Amanda - I agree - that is WONDERFUL! :D You had a very good first day, and I commend your attitude about everything from school, to back pain, to grandmothers - you are one terrific lady with a catching positive attitude. You deserve the ease and joy of HOD, and I know it will continue to be a blessing in your home. I wanted to comment on you taking on the care of your (dh's) grandmother - I think that brings great glory to God, and is by no means a small task. I always think there is a good chance our dc will care for us in the same way we have cared for our grandparents and parents. If that is the case for you, you will be in excellent hands. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:44 am

Amanda,

I'm so glad that you have your first day out of the way and that you had a good one in spite of dealing with many schedule busters from surgery recovery to visitors! :D

We pray that you will contine to have a wonderful year and that the Lord will be near to you as you heal. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Amanda I am so happy for you that you are loving HOD! :D I have found that the first bite of HOD is as good as the last so I am looking forward to a WONDERFUL year for you. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:02 pm

I just love excited beginning-of-the-year posts! :D (And excited middle-of-the-year posts...and excited end-of-the-year posts... :D ) I'm so glad that you're off to a great start this year, and am confident that you're going to have a great year! I wanted to pop in and welcome you :D , and say enjoy the journey!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH