Ok one more post, sorry to be annoying...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kissesmomof4

Ok one more post, sorry to be annoying...

Post by kissesmomof4 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:51 pm

So we got our boxes today.
Here are the reactions of my children

ds6-Thrilled and begged to do school ASAP so we did day one. He liked it ok but I can tell it will be a small challenge to keep his attention
dd9-Wanted to read half of the books right away but is in no way shape or form interested in anything other than that. She is not looking forward to starting even though she wants to read the books.
ds11-Had no interest in any of it and any attempt of mine to get him excited about the special new HOD journey just sent him from the room frowning or dramatically screaming "Noooooooooooooooooo". All the books look "boring" to him.

I am excited to start but now I am also dreading it. Schooling has not been 100% pleasant for us in the past because we could not fid the right method for our family. I was hoping that this would be exciting for everyone. Sigh. I have read so many good things about kids who did not love learning turning around with HOD. I am going to be praying that this will help my children turn their attitudes around. I know I will enjoy helping my children learn with this and I know I will be learning some new things along with them so I hope they will learn to enjoy it too :D

Honestly I am not 100% sure of the point of this post. I guess I am just thinking aloud so to speak.
Amanda
Mom of four, homeschooling two M13, D9 going on 10 struggling but making progress

my3sons

Re: Ok one more post, sorry to be annoying...

Post by my3sons » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 pm

Oh, I just want to encourage you that I think younger dc are just naturally more enthused about school. Older dc know school keeps getting harder as they get older, and they begin to value their independent time highly. I wouldn't expect a big positive reaction for school to start up, even with the lure of new books. Older dc do like to assert themselves too (like his yelling "noooo") - that may be something to nip in the bud - he doesn't have to be over the top cheerful about it, but a polite attitude to you (his teacher) is a must. I have this tendency to imagine a wonderful experience I'm going to have with the dc, and then when it doesn't measure up to the way I imagined, I'm pretty disappointed. I've come to realize this about myself and try to be more realistic about my expectations - though I still struggle with this. Maybe you have some tendencies like mine? Honestly, the average 11 yo is not overly excited about doing school, so I wouldn't sweat it. I'd just start with an enthusiastic attitude and be brisk with the oldest, knowing he'll want to get to his free time too. I think it will win him over eventually, but it will probably take some time. :wink: I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I was just imagining me in your shoes, thinking what I'd be thinking, and feeling what I'd be feeling, and thinking what I'd need someone to share with me. You are going to have a good year - just give yourself some grace to ease into it! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Amen to everything Julie just said.

Just get in there and do it, and your enthusiasm for the subjects, material, activities will be catchy. They may not ever react like your 6 year old, but they will begin to look forward to this part or that part. It will grow on them, and you. :D

In His love,
RuthAnn
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 pm

And if all else fails, you can tell them what my husband does: "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it." However, I agree, with time and a good attitude on your part, he should come around. My younger ones are more excited about school as well. It also might be a boy thing. Hunt, catch, kill the schooling so we can be done with it and move on!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am

I want to encourage you too! Your 11 year olds response is just a typical 11 year old boy's response - especially if he and you have not been enjoying "school" in the past. I don't know what guide you have chosen for him, but just start and be enthusiastic yourself and watch him begin to love learning. HOD has been a HUGE blessing to my boys. Carrie has created a curriculum that incorporates all the senses that will allow you and your children to just want to do more! Unlike some of the other posters we are not able to finish our day anywhere close to noon. In fact, some days we just finish our day without finishing the guide, BUT we are new to doing everything within the guide and most importantly we are LOVING HOD!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:28 pm

My ds is 8 and generally is very positive about school. He really is a very easy kid, but once in a while he'll give a little fuss about doing an assignment. He did this the other day again, and I gently reminded him that he doesn't have a choice about doing the assignment. He does have a choice about his attitude while doing it. He can be miserable and make it an unhappy time for the both of us or he can be positive and excited about learning and enjoy being together. Either way, the assignment will get done. I wouldn't worry too much. I think he'll like it more as you get into the program.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

kissesmomof4

Post by kissesmomof4 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Laura I really appreciate you sharing about the attitude. I think I will keep that line of thought in mind for my son. :)

Since at the moment we have no way to get out to church and my husband works all day I think we will start tomorrow. I figure we are kind of behind this year so it will not hurt to throw an extra day in here and there. I am looking forward to it!
Amanda
Mom of four, homeschooling two M13, D9 going on 10 struggling but making progress