Trying to hang in there...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
2plus2

Trying to hang in there...

Post by 2plus2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:35 pm

I've been reading the great messages about everyone's first weeks. In fact, reading these message boards really is what called me to start HOD. I so want to post on here about how great this is going & how much I love it, but I am already longingly watching the school bus drive by, thinking what did I do??? :cry: I am definitely committed to this year and hoping that some of you moms can give some advice on how to streamline. My biggest frustration (& I'm sure everyone else's) is keeping everyone happy at once, with different levels going on. I am doing Beyond with my 1st grader and I have Little Hands for my 4 yr old & 3 yr old twins. My little ones are acting out when I am solely focused on my 1st grader (which I have told my husband is the enemy, because they normally do not act like this). I feel so bad for her as she tries to read or learn in the midst of what feels like just chaos. Any suggestions for me from what you guys have done to keep everyone busy at once?
Thanks in advance! I've been hesitant to post this because I don't want to seem like a big whiner. I just think someone who's been there done that may be able to give me a pep talk

water2wine

Re: Trying to hang in there...

Post by water2wine » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:10 am

You are not a whiner. :D I am out the door but this is an age thing. You got a bunch of little ones all young. Do you have a thing called nap time? :lol: Or is there an educational video or something you can plug the little ones into? I think jealousy comes into play sometimes. I know this is not a good answer but I am out the door. Just want to encourage you that there will be some good tips and it is just an age thing. You'll get it worked out. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

jewel7123

Post by jewel7123 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:27 am

I agree....during my 2 year old's nap is when I schedule my one on one schooling with my oldest. If you're looking for educational videos....I highly recommend the leap frog dvds......Letter Factory, Math Circus, etc.
Jennifer in TX

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:30 am

Believe me, every one of us, at one point or another, has longed for that big, yellow vehicle to make a pit stop at our doors! Hsing is a huge undertaking and is definitely not for the faint-of-heart. I would work on developing a loose schedule for your day. I would include a little tv time in the morning. A few cartoons or a video will not hurt your children and will allow some nice quiet time for you with your dd. Then give your dd something she can do on her own for a while and spend some of your time with your little ones. In the afternoon, I would absolutely have a nap time or at least quiet time in their rooms. Take that time to finish up one-on-one stuff with your dd. The little ones will get used to the idea of you hsing and spending some time alone with their older sister. My dd was much better the last year and a half than she was for the year and a half before that. It is a challenge. Keep focused on the big picture - the goals you have for your children. I find that if I post my true reasons for hsing, and have it available to remind myself during times of doubt and stress, I am able to overcome those feelings. Doubt and discouragement are the tools of the Evil One to draw you away from your task at hand. Start each day with prayer and something yummy!
God bless you!

From one hsing trench to another,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:25 am

I used to try to do most school during the little guys nap time. Now that he is not napping, I have a set of 7 thin drawers that have special activities just for him during school time. I fill the drawers with things like a sorting game, some file folder games, paper and scissors, paper and stickers, paper and markers, lacing activities, beads to string, pipe cleaners and puzzles. For a great resource, I use: http://totallytots.blogspot.com/ . It has great ideas for young kids.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 am

i have an almost 6yr old, 4.5yr old , and very busy 19 month old climber.
i have to even give my oldest little breaks in between his lessons(my son needs to run around using his imagination)

things that require more help, like me reading stories, i try to do when the 19 month naps.

Family devotion we will do while having a snack many times.

the 19 month old doesn't stay long with anything by herself unless it is something she isn't supposed to be doing.

my 4.5 yr old i will let play PBS kids on computer or other learning game or she has to be in the other room playing on her own. she is starting to learn this routine, but it has taken a while for her to get used to it.

i do feel your pain. i just keep telling myself it will get easier. i don't have an older child than can take care of the littlest one while we work.
You hang in there. it is hard.. it is just the enemy against you when you are doing something good for your family.
:wink:

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:33 am

Hi!

I think you have gotten some great suggestions. School during naptime is good-we did that one year and it worked for that year. (I struggled with staying awake and patient and so we looked for other options).
One thing that has been a lifesaver in my home has been to teach my children to entertain themselves in their rooms. We started out small, 5-10 min, and gradually increased it week by week. I now have a 2.5 and 4 (almost 5) year old who can stay in their rooms and play for an hour. (I do think it is important for all my children to realize that Mama is not their number one toy and source of entertainment:) That is when I do the right side of Beyond. I find this side needs a bit more quiet environment.
I do want to encourage you that if you persevere and stay diligent to the task, your kiddos will adjust! Every year we have an adjustment period. Some years the first week has been full of crying children, bad attitudes, and the like. Other years, it is better.
Take heart--Pray for wisdom--and trust in Him,
Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:22 am

Have you ever considered switching to LHFHG this year as you begin this new homeschooling adventure with a very full plate? I assume the time commitment would be quite a bit less, though I've never seen BHFHG.
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:03 pm

There are lots of nuggets of wisdom here already. I love this board so much! :D I agree that this is an age thing, and dc who are not doing school with you need a plan for their day that doesn't require you for entertainment. I have learned to plan things for those dc, so they are not needing me while I'm doing school with the older dc. For those younger ages, here are some things that work for us:
*a video in a different part of the house than I'm homeschooling
*a snack/drink and coloring time at the table
*educational computer games
*exercise videos for those bad weather days
*a place they can play gated off or away from us safely
*a special cupboard with set aside tubs/boxes of toys for only a 30 minute time slot each day
*books on tape (for the 4.5 yo)
*room time (for the 4.5 yo) - as Jess suggested - this is an awesome idea that pays dividends as the dc grow older; my oldest has come to love his room time

Being committed to homeschooling takes determination - especially when just starting out and doubt creeps in :? . Really knowing why we're homeschooling and having others remind us of that when need be is so important. We have the big yellow bus go by here too, so I know those thoughts you are having. :wink: Now that we've been homeschooling awhile, I no longer wish the dc were getting on the bus, but instead are so glad they are not (on most days :wink: ). Take heart and give yourself some time to adjust - it gets easier. I've also learned that thinking sending them to school will solve all of my problems is silly and just not true. I try to stop and think what my life would REALLY be like then. I'd have a full-time job, I'd be dropping and picking up little ones from daycare, I'd be running errands at night, buying brand name clothes - certain lunches - certain toys - having certain b-day parties - etc. to try to help our dc better fit in at school, attending conferences, trying to find time to volunteer in their classrooms so I'd actually see them during the day - oh my - and those are just the things I can think of never having been in that situation. Homeschooling looks better and better then. Keep after it - it's a calling in life, and it's worthy of the bumps. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:41 pm

When my dd was in 1st grade and my little one was 3, I patted myself on the back if we accomplished 30-45 min. a day of focused school time. Math time was our hardest subject area so I would go to the bathroom with both children, fill the tub a few inches, load it up with boats and bath paint and my 3 year old would have a hay-day in the tub each day for 30 minutes while my 6 year old and I would have our one on one time. My back sometimes got sore from sitting on the floor of the cramped bathroom but we accomplished school! It gets easier! :D My oldest is 8 now and youngest is almost 5. It's amazing how much simpler life if now just 2 years later! Do hang in there!~
Amy
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

2plus2

Post by 2plus2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Thank you thank you for all of these uplifting responses. I feel better just reading them. I am definitely going to try your suggestions & I so appeciate the time each of you spent responding. I will hopefully be posting happy thoughts soon :|

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 pm

2plus2 wrote:I will hopefully be posting happy thoughts soon :|
You will! You can do this. It is harder with little ones. But God will help you. You'll make it work. :D Keep reaching out to Him and looking for answers. He will show you a way that will bring peace. He is faithful! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:53 pm

None of us have the same struggles or family dynamics, but we all serve a BIG God, whose plan is greater than ours. His hand is on your kids and He will make sure they grow as He sees fit this year.
That being said, you do need concrete plans and ideas and launching off points.
Chances are your 1st grader is your "easiest," child. My own experience with Beyond [albeit with grade 2] is that it can be completed in about 90 minutes. If you do have a nap time... use it.
You may also consider not including your 3 years olds in the LHFHG and only doing a half-page a day with 4 year old.
I for one have always taken the "easy way out." I only do "school" when they hit 5 year old... and then it is only the 3 R's. We don't do full-on school until grade 1. They have all been doing so well under this plan, too.
Anyway - I say that in case you are looking for permission to do less. I know sometimes I feel like I need to get "permission" from others to do less. We all want to achieve good things for our kids.
If not... DISCARD my SUGGESTION! :) :) :)

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:09 pm

I have yet to homeschool without a small child running around...although I'm getting REALLY close and that is keeping me plugged in!! :lol:

You have received great suggestions...naptimes are awesome...sometimes lunch time can be used to do something orally....bc the little ones are busy with food. But during some of our worst seasons (and I promise you it is just a season) I would sit with the oldest when my husband was home from work and could help with the younger crowd.

I didn't have 3 that close in age, but a kid or two in a bathtub can take up HOURS of time at my house....or playdough on the deck (which I can see from my kitchen table). A sink of water in the bathroom and a few cups can keep my boys busy for quite some time...a quick towel at the end and no harm done.

I had to learn to relax (maybe God's plan in the big picture) and realize i could not control everything to the minute, that sometimes things went marvelously and other times I was sure I would have them packed and ready for the bus the next morning!

I also have done story time or similar after my little ones are asleep, my big girls think this is a treat and it means the job still gets done.

It is super hard I completely agree. But it is totally worth it. So just hand in there....it really is just a season of life.
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

2plus2

Post by 2plus2 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:07 am

Well, I took some of the advice to let some of it go & I have focused on getting Beyond done with my dd & we are doing great. She is loving it. She keeps hugging my leg & having little "happy fits." I have completely put LHTH on the back burner & just throw in an activity from it when I find downtime. So now it seems I am neglecting my little ones. I even had a close friend tell me that my parenting looks very "lopsided" lately -- all energies focused on my 1st grader (in love, of course :| ) This is nuts. I feel so very failure-like that I want to cry. My 3 yr olds walk around asking mom when do we start school??? Never mind all the little busy activities I stay awake at night dreaming up/preparing for them! I know this will all iron out. Maybe this is somehow good for them to develop independence & time without me but it is definitely pulling at my heart strings. I will keep you all posted as things get better!! (right? :D )