All Caught up! (weekend school) & I had a "duh" moment.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AboveRubiesMama

All Caught up! (weekend school) & I had a "duh" moment.

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:14 pm

We ended up being able to catch up with our history and science today! Yay!

After mentioning Saturday School, I told my DH about it and he asked, 'Well, why not? If she were going to school, she would have homework in the evenings and on weekends, right? If she missed school because of a family emergency, wouldn't she just make it up on the weekend?" and then he mentioned, "Even WITH homework, she's STILL not dealing with the typical load she'd have if she were attending a traditional school."

Sooooo, we did it! We read through parts over the weekend and were caught up completely by this afternoon. It's a great feeling and we were even able to get into some good discussions! This is fantastic!

As for my duh moment, even though HOD is simple to implement, I was becoming a bit concerned regarding supplies for projects. I review the week's plans on Sunday evenings, but still struggled getting it all together. My DH asked, "Why don't you just get a pencil and make some bullet points by the box, listing the supplies needed for that project?"

Why didn't I think of this? Ugh! I was an English Major in school and I did LOTS of writing and underlining in my books, but my manuals are so pretty that I think my perfectionistic side didn't want to go there. LOL

So, this worked out very well, with my little bullet points. :)
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

water2wine

Re: All Caught up! (weekend school) & I had a "duh" moment.

Post by water2wine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:00 pm

Sounds like you have a plan that will bring you peace there. :D Good for you for making it work for you. I write all over the manuals. Funny thing is after I write on them I hardly every look at what I have written but just that process of writing on it I guess some how makes it mine. :lol: I have my little quirks of things I have to know and little tricks I do with myself using the manual as well. Like if I have added something extra like a foreign language I can write in the manual like it was a box that was always there. Something about Carrie telling me what needs to get done in the day with the box works for me but myself telling me does not so I write in the little box and it is as if it came from Carrie and it gets done. How silly is that. :lol: But sometimes it is easier to just work with your head than try to fix it, hahaha! Glad you found a system for you. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:21 pm

I smiled when I read this thread, as my hubby often has a simple solution for things that I may be complicating too! I definitely need his no-nonsense approach to life. Sometimes after he's shared his ideas (in only a few short sentences I might add) I think, "Now, why didn't I think of that!" :wink:

I also know that writing things out helps me collect my own thoughts. So, I know what you mean, waterwine, about not really reading later what you jotted down, but it just solidifying things in your mind! :lol: I am a note jotter too! However, I don't do it in my guide. I fill legal pads instead! :D By the time I'm done writing a guide, I have typically filled at least 6 legal pads! :D I keep them all handy and add specifics as they come to mind!

Blessings,
Carrie

AboveRubiesMama

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:18 pm

ooooo, legal pads....another one I didn't think of. :)

We had a wonderful day today, Carie! Thanks so much for all the work you've done on these. After we got caught up, we have just jumped right in to where we need to be. And we are LOVING history! This is SO MUCh better than anything I had to do back in school.
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

j_croche

Post by j_croche » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 am

I wanted to say that my husband often has simple solution to my often overly complicated problems...lol
I'm so thankful for the wisdom God gives him in leading our home...even in the simple things! 8)
Jenni, Mom to a handful of blessings
Ds19 College
Ds18 Highschool Grad
DD15 Homeschool
Ds12 Homeschool
Ds09 Homeschool