Question that's a bit off topic.........

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christyg

Question that's a bit off topic.........

Post by christyg » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:57 am

Hi ladies!

We are finishing up our 4th week in LHFHG, and things are going pretty smoothly. We have just about found our groove with it. My daughter seems to really be enjoying it and she also seems to be learning so much! :D

This is our first year to homeschool. We started on August 3rd, and the public schools here in Texas started this past Monday. We have not left the house all week except for church last night.

I know that what we are doing is perfectly legal and the area that we live in seems to be very homeschool friendly, so why am I so nervous about leaving the house? :oops:

We are early birds and usually get things done in the mornings, like grocery shopping, appointments, and errands. But, now I feel like we have to wait until 3:30 to go out and do anything. I had planned on doing school 4 days a week and doing school year around. But, now I am thinking with this issue it might be easier for me to just do school the same days as the public school system. I guess that I am just frustrated because the freedom of it is one of the many reasons why we decided to homeschool.

Is this normal to feel this way when you first start homeschooling? When do you go out and get things done like grocery shopping? And, what do you say to people when they ask you about why the kids aren't in school? I don't want to feel trapped, but I also want to be sensible.

Sorry for the off-topic question..........any advice will be greatly appreciated and will help calm my nerves about this. :wink:

Thanks again,
Christy :)

jewel7123

Re: Question that's a bit off topic.........

Post by jewel7123 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:05 am

Hi Christy! I'm in Texas too! What area are you in? (You can PM me if you want) I understand how you're feeling but you have no reason to feel guilty or nervous whatsoever! Texas is an EXTREMELY homeschool friendly state, and you certainly shouldn't feel as if you have to stay at home during school hours. If you're confident in your decision to homeschool and know that it's right for your family, who CARES what anyone else thinks, let alone the cashier at the grocery store, right? :D I'll pray that God will give you peace and confidence!
Jennifer in TX

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:03 pm

One of the great benefits of homeschooling is being able to take the children grocery shopping in the morning, when the store is not so crowded! Same thing with doctor's appointments, the library, and other errands.

We have never been asked why the children aren't in school. I think people just assume that either they are sick, or going to a year-round school with a non-traditional schedule, or that there's a school break/holiday. If they do ever ask, I'll tell them the truth. I have filed all the necessary paperwork with my school district, so it's not like I'm doing something illegal by being out in public with my children.

As long as you are in compliance with your states laws, you shouldn't worry. Take advantage of the freedom! My dh has Fridays off (he's a pastor), so we school Mon-Thurs year-round so we can do things on Fridays as a family. It's SO nice being able to go places on a weekday instead of on Saturdays when they are crowded.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi!

This is only my 3rd year hsing and I still feel weird, just like you! It seems like EVERY time we leave the house during school hours we get asked at least once, "Are the kids off school today?" And I just say "no, we homeschool." I've never had a negative experience with that. People have been very nice to us and feel the need to share who they know that homeschools or anything they have heard positive about hsing. (The teachers are all in school at that time.) :lol: I find that the only people that have a problem with my hsing are the teachers and they are in school during school hours, so rest easy and give it a try!

However, I have to admit that I do usually wait until later in the day to run errands. If we don't begin school right away and keep at it until we finish, it usually disrupts the whole day.

HTH! Michelle :)
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:16 pm

I can remember being concerned about that when we first started homeschooling. We are now in our 6th year. I don't worry about it at all anymore. I rarely even think about it anymore. Our homeschool group provides us with Teacher and Student ID cards. I've never bothered to show them to anyone but I guess I could if I thought about it. We do have people ask us why the children are not in school quite frequently. We live in a smaller town and alot of the regular employees in stores and other public places know us by now. When anyone askes, I always tell them that we homeschool. I used to wonder if I shouldn't even share that info., but I decided to just tell the truth... I think that's the best example I can set for my children and I don't want them to feel like we have to hide. Dozens of people have asked us about school but I can only recall one person ever who expressed anything other than curiosity... alot of people express admiration and say they wish they had been homeschooled or were able to do so themselves. ALOT of people tell me they think it's great and that they admire me!

I think you should just do whatever you feel comfortable doing at this time. Over time, you will probably think less of it. And, when the children get older, it just gets harder to get out in the morning anyways. We are so busy with school in the morning now. It usually just worked better for us to get that done before doing anything else.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:08 pm

I too remember when we first started homeschooling, I felt that way too...but now :lol: . I don't think about it anymore, I do carry our homeschool association membership card with us (comes in handy for places like Staples, and Barnes and Noble 'cuz you can get teacher/education discounts). When we are out and someone asks my oldest dd "Why aren't you in school," she replies without blinking an eye, "I'm homeschooled".
Most people often just say "Oh!" and often thats the end of the questions.
SC is rapidly growing in the homeschool sector, so to see kids out and with their parents is not unusual anymore.
To tell the truth, the days I don't have my kids with me...I feel..well.. naked.. like I'm missing something lol.
DHT1999 wrote: I think you should just do whatever you feel comfortable doing at this time. Over time, you will probably think less of it. And, when the children get older, it just gets harder to get out in the morning anyways. We are so busy with school in the morning now. It usually just worked better for us to get that done before doing anything else.
I agree with DHT1999, give it time become comfortable with what your doing and eventually it will become natural.
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

mariaw

Post by mariaw » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm in TX, also. We've been hs-ing from the beginning, so this was never much of an issue for me. Now that dd is in 3rd grade, people ask sometimes. But the others can still pass as younger than school-age. :wink:

Whenever we're asked, we just say, "We homeschool," and you'd be surprised at some of the wonderful comments! People say, "Oh, I think it's great--I was a public school teacher and I would not want my kids in that system anymore." Or, "My neighbor homeschools, and they are some of the most well-behaved kids I know!"

The only negative comments I've ever gotten are from other moms that I actually know and are asking me loads of questions. I can't even think of a time that someone "out" (like at the grocery store or dentist) ever said something negative.

My circle of hs-ing friends actually has a tradition...on the first day of ps here, we all go to Chuck E. Cheese at 9 am for our "Not going to the first day of school" party. :lol: You should see the looks on the workers faces when they see us all walk in, thinking they were going to have an easy day!! It's really the ONLY way to do Chuck E. Cheese..... :lol:
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:31 pm

rainbowacreshs wrote:To tell the truth, the days I don't have my kids with me...I feel..well.. naked.. like I'm missing something lol.
Me too!!!!!

hopefulhearth05

Post by hopefulhearth05 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:11 am

Hi Christy!!!

I am in Texas too (San Antonio)!!!

We have started our 3rd year hs'ing and I used to be really nervous about taking
the kids out during school hours. But I persisted in doing the things I needed to get done
when the time is optimal for us , like early morning grocery shopping.
I have had people ask my kids why they are not in school. The kids say they homeschool and I have not
yet had anyone say anything negative . Lately, I have been tweaking my personal schedule and
just trying to get more things done with my husband. I was running too many errands last
year and I felt that led us a little off track academically. I say by all means, do what you need to
to do at your optimal time. I think it is normal to feel a little nervous. I think this year my
challenge is meeting other homeschoolers in our area . I think my son is feeling like the lone ranger. But that's a
different post. May you be blessed in your homeschooling endeavor and may you find peace with your new
freedom. :D

Jess
8yo Bigger
6yo Beyond
2 yo along for the fun
1st year doing HOD

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:24 am

I also am finding this harder as my oldest gets older. Although when he is asked what grade he is in and what school he attends. He answers very nicely and that floors most people because they seem to be expecting me to answer for him. I have noticed the most looks while grocery shopping - usually because my son is reading the list or adding the items we have in the cart. I don't ask him to do these things he just loves to be involved. This is what seems to get the attention of other people - no matter what time of day we are at the story.

I think in today's world - people still think all kids go to schools yet in reality many are homeschooled and attend non-tradional schools. People ask yet are not suprised by answers they recieve.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

christyg

Post by christyg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:51 am

Good morning ladies! Thanks so much for all of the encouragement! You have made me feel a lot better. We are not doing school on Fridays, so we are off this morning to get groceries and to get my son a haircut. :wink: I hope that you all have a blessed day!

Christy :)