Italics or Cheerful Cursive?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patience

Italics or Cheerful Cursive?

Post by Patience » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi ladies. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should go with Italics or Cheerful Cursive? I would say copywork was one of the more difficult subjects for my son last year. He has worked so hard and his handwriting is really very nice now using Italics print. I was wondering what it would be like to start on a whole new way of writing. So, I began to wonder if Italics would be good for him, but it :roll: seems so different. I don't know the strokes, and really don't know how much I would need to know to teach it. Are the books self teaching? Or should I just go with Cheerful Cursive, and he will adjust and it will all be fine? Also, when should I introduce it? I was planning on about 9 weeks into the school year (but I was planning on keeping up with print copywork all year). Is this a good plan? Which one do you all think?
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

Patience

Re: Italics or Cheerful Cursive?

Post by Patience » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:22 pm

So I'm thinking, maybe I should rephrase this question. Is anyone using Italics with success?
Mom to three

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:00 pm

I pm'd you. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 am

I like both Italics and Cheerful Cursive, so you've got two great choices here. :) I know there are many moms using Italics and liking it. I have done Cheerful Cursive, and wrote a past post about that that I'll link here (it also shows pics of Cheerful Cursive, in case that may be helpful with your decision):
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4180&p=30768#p30768

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Patience

Post by Patience » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the help. When is a good time to introduce cursive to a second grader?
Mom to three