Advice for a newbie???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3smoches

Advice for a newbie???

Post by 3smoches » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:29 pm

I started LHFHG today with my dd and I found myself with a few questions. I would really appreciate the guidance from anyone who is more seasoned to this than I (which would probably be most of you :) ) Do most of you let the kids write directly in the book or do you photocopy the pages for like math and "do it carefully" activities? I have 3 kids and wanted to use the programs again. I just didnt know what others were doing. Secondly, how exactly do you watch over their progress w/o hovering and discouraging. I want to give dd the ability to make her own mistakes while I go back to help her correct them but found I was helping her through her first day, Leading her to the correct answer. Is that wrong? Just where is that fine line? Do you save thier daily work and file it away for documentation of progress? I live in OK where the Homeschool laws are extremely lax. I will probably have a million more questions but that is it so far :oops: Thanks for anyone who has any kind of advice. :)

mariaw

Re: Advice for a newbie???

Post by mariaw » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:10 pm

I'll try to answer some of your questions! We are also doing LHFHG with my 6 and 4yo boys (the 4yo--loosely!). My oldest is doing Preparing.

Personally, I let the kids write in the workbooks. I think it's probably just as cheap or cheaper to buy new ones for the next kids that come along than it is use up ink and paper. And I don't like a bunch of loose papers because I'm not so great in the organization department. :D So I try to avoid that as much as possible.

When it comes to hovering and discouraging, I can tell you that this was something I really had trouble with when I first started homeschooling. Now that I have a few years under my belt and can see how things progress as they get older, I have a better perspective and lower expectations for my youngers. I'm assuming from what you wrote that your oldest is the one using LHFHG so she is probably just learning to read and write and is young elem age? It's SO EASY to get carried away at first and expect things to happen faster--for me, handwriting just about did me in. I'm embarrassed to say, many tears were shed over handwriting worksheets in the first year. :oops: Everyone told me to relax, that she was still young, and I didn't even really NEED to be pushing for perfection right then, but I didn't believe them. :cry: Now that I have my next child learning to write, I know that those imperfect t's and a's will someday straighten themselves out as my ds develops motor skills and has more practice.

In terms of leading to the right answer vs. correcting mistakes after the fact, it is a fine line. It has been a learning curve for me to figure out the right balance. I don't feel bad modeling the correct way to do something many times before I expect my kids to figure it out on their own. I guess it also has to do with the subject, also. Your dd is at the age where formal grades would not be kept in any school, so you don't have to worry so much about keeping grades yet. There are years and years and years and years ahead of you where your dd will have practice finding the answers on her own. At this age, I let mine copy my example, or I lead them along how to find the right answer (as in comprehension questions). If you follow the guide, the questions are right there for you, so you don't have to figure out what to ask!

I'm in TX, and the laws are very lax here, too. I have saved some things, more for them to see how far they've come or to have an example of their early work than anything else. I use my guide with checkmarks as my record of what we did. I doubt anyone will ever ask.

I hope that helps some! Keep asking questions!! I am indebted to my online homeschool friends for helping me through many, many challenges.
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm

I just finished LHFHG with two and I let them write in the books. They are consumable. As far as watching over them I just asked them to show me their work and we went over it together each time. If they missed something I played games I guess you would say and would say in a funny voice "Oh I see something that is missing can you find it?" And if the completely missed it I would just say "Let's you and Mommy do this together." Just keep it light and fun. :D You are going to love LHFHG it is an excellent program!

Another thing I just thought about if they hit a point where they really struggled they did it in my lap and we made it nice time together. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

LAF512

Post by LAF512 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't photocopy any of the workbooks. The workbooks used in LHFHG are relatively inexpensive so I don't fret over having to buy new ones when my youngest does the program in a few years. It would probably cost me more in ink and paper to photocopy anyway since I don't have a decent printer/copier.

I try to let dd do most of her workbook pages without me hovering. I'll admit, I went through a period where I felt that she needed to do every paper perfect so I hovered a lot, but I'm slowly letting that go and not worrying so much anymore :oops: I just go over the problems with her that she misses. Sometimes she does want me to sit there and work through a page with her, but more often than not she tells me she doesn't need my help :wink:

I live in MO and we have very lax homeschooling rules as well. Plus, my dd is not yet of the age where I need to account for what I'm teaching anyway. So for now, I'm keeping random samples of her work in a folder.
Lori

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Thank you to all who commented. I need all the advice I can get. My dd is the first and she is just starting kindergarten. I worry that I can easily discourage her with her writing. Making numbers is sometimes tricky and I try to get her to think about how to form the number or letter before she starts it but I think she tries to race through it sometimes and I make her slow down b/c she is capable of more. She hasnt shown frustration yet... I want to keep it fun while she learns it correctly. :wink: I am trying to be easygoing to keep it fun though. Oh well, dive in I guess. :D

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:12 pm

I have decided to use the whole program instead of the right side for the first half of our year and I am copying the pages. My tagalong is actually doing the work too so I copy a page for her. Could I just buy a another workbook, yes but I have the ink and paper right here and it's less of a hassle for me. I do have their own math workbooks because my son is already ahead in the math part of Little Hearts and my daughter is right on.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Mom4Him

Post by Mom4Him » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi! How exciting to be in LHFHG!! Your little one seems to be doing so well. :D
As far as copying goes- I would check if the materials have a copyright. For some it is illegal to reproduce them in any way :wink: - otherwise feel free to copy away :!: My kids all like to have their own special workbook- & it seems just as cost effective, so I get new workbooks (such as handwriting, math, Rod & Staff books) for each of them. The things that don't get written in- we all share. :wink:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 pm

3smoches wrote:I started LHFHG today with my dd and I found myself with a few questions. I would really appreciate the guidance from anyone who is more seasoned to this than I (which would probably be most of you :) ) Do most of you let the kids write directly in the book or do you photocopy the pages for like math and "do it carefully" activities? I have 3 kids and wanted to use the programs again. I just didnt know what others were doing. Secondly, how exactly do you watch over their progress w/o hovering and discouraging. I want to give dd the ability to make her own mistakes while I go back to help her correct them but found I was helping her through her first day, Leading her to the correct answer. Is that wrong? Just where is that fine line? Do you save thier daily work and file it away for documentation of progress? I live in OK where the Homeschool laws are extremely lax. I will probably have a million more questions but that is it so far :oops: Thanks for anyone who has any kind of advice. :)
Well, you're off and running with LHFHG, and it is sure to be a good year! :D We've done LHFHG twice with 2 very different dc with two very different personalities, and both loved it. For your questions ...
1. Workbooks - they are inexpensive and meant to be consumable so we do have our dc write in them - luckily, there are only a few consumable things in HOD programs, and the things that are consumable are usually inexpensive to replace :)
2. Hovering - I am a born "hoverer". :oops: My first child loved for me to hover, so it was not a big deal. My second child does NOT like me to hover, which I learned during doing LHFHG. I struck a balance of hovering for the first few minutes, and let him know that if he was started off doing it right, I would let him finish it on his own and check back with him. That worked well for him. :) I'd say try to start her off right and then walk away for awhile, checking back after a bit to see how she did. If she made mistakes, water2wine had some great ideas for how to cheerfully and positively correct them with her.
3. Documentation - We live in a lax state as well. We put each day's work in a BIG magnetic clip on the fridge so daddy can see it when he comes home. Every Friday, I have the dc choose what they want to keep. They put the keepers in clear protector sheets in a 3 ring binder. We throw the rest - unless I want to "rescue" some of them to keep. :lol:

Have a wonderful time doing LHFHG, and remember she's little - so this year is mainly about her feeling she's "good at school", and that she is going to enjoy being homeschooled. How much do you remember from Kindergarten? I can't remember a thing! Of course, that could be because I'm getting older. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie