I let dh help with our school today!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
water2wine

I let dh help with our school today!

Post by water2wine » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:03 pm

He did a lot of it. We kind of did it together all day. I wanted him to see what we were doing and see how our day went. I actually have been sick so I had joked all weekend that he was going to have to teach. Well he was impressed. I think he was not only impressed with the program but also that he could follow it and teach it on the spot.

An interesting part was when I had him do with them a science experiment I had accidentally skipped. Well let's just say that I can't let him supervise the science experiments. My son almost put the hair dryer in the water. Ok that is why mommy homeschools and not daddy, we want them all to live. :wink: But honestly it was a fun day together teaching the kids. I'm glad he got a chance to see what we were doing. Especially since he had taught a few times with what we had used before and could see the difference.

So now he has something to brag about at the water cooler tomorrow. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Melanie

Re: I let dh help with our school today!

Post by Melanie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:30 pm

water2wine wrote:An interesting part was when I had him do with them a science experiment I had accidentally skipped. Well let's just say that I can't let him supervise the science experiments. My son almost put the hair dryer in the water. Ok that is why mommy homeschools and not daddy, we want them all to live. :wink:
This is hilarious!! :D Your dh sounds like quite the character!
Hey...at least he gave it a shot....
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:40 pm

He is. What a goof! :lol: But they had a good time and he got to see what we do while he is at his desk all day. So I guess so simple even my dh can do it, but if you care about the kids surviving mom better keep on teaching. :wink: Dh kind of needs supervision with the kids. I just kind of thought hsing would be safe. Hahaha!

Of course I mean that with love. :wink: He just gets a little too caught up in the being a kid too sometimes. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 pm

Hey, I hadn't thought of this benefit of HOD before! :D  I'll have to let my dh take a stab at it!

He just wondered why I was laughing and I told him your science story.  (I'll definitely have to keep him away from the experiments... :lol: ...I can only imagine the messes or injuries.)  He said he's sure you're overreacting...with a smile. Just like I overreact when their wrestling is headed for bleeding heads on the coffee table again, 1-yr-old climbing tall slide ladder without help, etc. :roll: I think God definitely gave kids moms to keep them alive, but I'm very glad that my dh loves to have fun with them!
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Kathleen wrote: He said he's sure you're overreacting...with a smile.
Yeah they always think that. :lol: Mine said their were no sparks so it could not have been that close. And then he mumbled something about there was no warning. And I said "um did you read it, first thing was the warning about water and electricity, right there written into the curriculum. But just for future reference, the hair dryer has that little label warning on it in case you ever get lost again." He laughed.

Seriously though it is fun to have them try it. Just don't let them do the science. :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:53 pm

water2wine,

My hubby gets a chance at teaching from our guides too when I am gone to the few conventions that we do. He is always amazed (as am I) that he can pull it off. It is a true test of whether a curriculum is open-and-go at our house if my hubby can do it. A teacher he is not, a great business manager he is! :lol:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Very funny! I'm quite "blown away" (pun intended :wink:), that your dh helped out with school and did such an "electrifying" (yes, another bad pun :lol: ) job of teaching! Now, since the children have lived another day, I pray that you feel better and can get back to doing what you do best... homeschool your children!
P.S. Your dh wouldn't take the blow dryer to the water cooler, would he? Perhaps lock that away tonight... :wink:
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:39 am

Carrie wrote:water2wine,

My hubby gets a chance at teaching from our guides too when I am gone to the few conventions that we do. He is always amazed (as am I) that he can pull it off. It is a true test of whether a curriculum is open-and-go at our house if my hubby can do it. A teacher he is not, a great business manager he is! :lol:

Blessings,
Carrie
It is a very good test! Really I was impressed how the message still came out and how it all connected. And like I said he did another curriculum and it was not a good one, so he knows what it is like to have things not flow, and have them not learning as well. :shock: So I think in light of that, it was even better for him to see what a day is like using HOD. He was really impressed. 8) It's fun, he could see they are really learning on the spot and he loved how the character and Bible is woven in and engages them. We even looked down the road a bit to show him how the little ones get to where my big guys are at this point and at the next program online and what I had on the shelf. He was actually interested and excited that we had a plan. So he got the full tour and actually paid attention. I kid about him and the safety issues. But he is a really smart guy and both his parents were teachers (from south Dakota too 8) ) so education and what they are using is really important to him. It was great to have him see we had a really good fit. He knew I was happy and he knew the kids loved it but it was great to have him see how they were really learning and how the program worked. And I know him, he will be bragging at work about what we are using and how he taught the kids.

my3sons...you crack me up. Honestly got a call one day from the neighbor. "Your dh has all six kids in the wagon, he is in the wagon...and they are all going down the hill. :shock: Thought you would want to do something." Not kidding. Major big kid, very smart but there is something missing in the part that says I am supposed to be the one supervising, not crawling in the wagon with them...hahaha! He'll be telling glory stories at the water cooler, guarantee it! Great dad, great husband, just needs a little supervision. :roll: Ah to have a fun dad, huh. Kids love him!

Candice

Post by Candice » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:42 pm

water2wine wrote: He just gets a little too caught up in the being a kid too sometimes. :lol:
These are the best kind of daddies!

Candice

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Candice wrote:
water2wine wrote: He just gets a little too caught up in the being a kid too sometimes. :lol:
These are the best kind of daddies!

Candice
Oh, I agree with this!! :wink:

Sounds like a fun day for you dh AND your crew! :-)
When my dh is home the boys always "argue" over who gets to have dad help them! What am I, chopped liver? :lol: :lol:
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: