Charlotte Mason book

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommyofgirls

Charlotte Mason book

Post by mommyofgirls » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:34 am

okay i'm almost done with For the Children's Sake. does anyone have any other good book recommendations? i would like to read cm's own actual writings, but am not sure if that is the next rational step or not... any suggestions?
Wife to my wonderful husband for 8 years
dd5 - LHFHG, Abeka phonics, Horizons math
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

mommyofgirls

Re: Charlotte Mason book

Post by mommyofgirls » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm

bumping :)
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:32 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but was wondering if you could share about For the Children's Sake-- is it a summary of CM's methods? I've heard of this book before but never really looked into it much.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Charlotte Mason Companion by Andreola

Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clarkson (Not specifically CM but they use quite a bit of CM's methodology. I'd say they are almost more Beechick though).

CM's writing is available online at Amblesideonline.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:51 pm

it is a good overview of her ideals written by another lady who used them in her home. it is really inexpensive on ebay (less than $4 if i remember correctly) and has a ton of wisdom woven throughout it. i am very impressed and inspired by CM's ideals and longing to get my hands on more. i can't say enough good things about the book! it is not a super easy read...it has taken me a long time at small intervals to get though it...but that might be more of a reflection of how busy i am. :D
dd3 - LHTH

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:54 pm

thanks Daisy! i'll check those out. for some reason, i am not as impressed with Beechick's ideals as i am with the CM philosophy. i know they are similar on some levels, but i just can't get into the Beechick thing. am i crazy? :?
dd3 - LHTH

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:58 pm

I think it just depends on the person. I think on the spectrum, CM tends to lean more classical and Beechick tends to lean more unit study but both are hard core lovers of literature.

I don't fall under any particular category. I like doing my own thing too much. :D

That said, Educating the Wholehearted Child is a very inspiring book and they claim to be CM. I've never heard of a person who didn't enjoy it. Charlotte Mason Companion is definitely more straight up CM but written in a way that is easily understood.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:53 pm

thanks, daisy! that actually makes a lot of sense because my educational philosophy leans more toward classical than it does toward unit studies and such. my problem with classical education is that it is a little too humanistic for me...almost like knowledge is the god - the end you are seeking. i feel like cm does a better job of using knowledge as a means to discover God and deepen your walk with Him. it's more about discipleship and a way of life than it is about obtaining an ambiguous goal of higher knowledge. i do agree with many of the principles outlined in the WTM, however. :)

anyway, thanks for the book suggestions...i will definitely get those! :)
dd3 - LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm

I also enjoyed Catherine Levison's books. They are a much easier read, but are very practical. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:24 am

my3sons wrote:I also enjoyed Catherine Levison's books. They are a much easier read, but are very practical. :D

In Christ,
Julie

I recommend these too!
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:07 am

thanks ladies!! i will find them today!! :D
dd3 - LHTH

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 am

Hi MommyofGirls!
I loved For the Children's Sake. It was one of those "life changing" books for me.

I agree with Daisy and Julie.
Charlotte Mason Companion by Andreola

Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clarkson
I also enjoyed Catherine Levison's books
I wanted to add the Cindy Rushton "Easy Way" series and When Children Love to Learn Edited by Elaine Cooper
Also the Simply Charlotte Mason website. (For further down the road in your CM journey)

I don't want to weigh you down with a big list. It seems like my next step after For the Children's Sake was Karen Andreola's book. The Levison books are also a great next step. If you can pick up CM's books from a second hand store or from your library, you could pick one up and read a little here and there when you wanted to. I enjoyed hearing straight from the source, but I haven't been able to make it through that whole series.

I share your love for CM's philosopies. Good stuff!!!
I can't say enough, how thankful I am for HOD incorporating her ideas and planning it all for me!!!

Happy reading!!!
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Andreola's book Pocketful of Pine-cones is a wonderful book to encourage CM homeschool Moms.
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Emilylou wrote:Andreola's book Pocketful of Pine-cones is a wonderful book to encourage CM homeschool Moms.
I was looking for some of these books at my library and this one you mention is the Only one my library has. Weird, because it's a huge library and has a wide variety of books. Glad to hear the thumbs up for this one though. I'll check it out.

Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:56 pm

For a quick trip through the basic overview of CM, I loved Catherine Levison's books A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education. I enjoyed thoroughly When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper, even though it was written more about Charlotte Mason schools in modern day. I still thought there was much to glean from reading it. :D

I took my time going through the Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola and liked it, but must admit I am not as much of a flowery language type person. So, I had to concentrate quite hard on what she was saying to comprehend the meaning woven throughout the book. I am a very factual person and lean more in that direction. :wink:

I have read and enjoyed The Wholehearted Child and have had the pleasure of getting to know both Clay and Sally Clarkson who are wonderful people. There is much to gain from reading that book, particularly the profiles of various types of personalities in the back of the book as compared to Biblical characters. :D

I have enjoyed having on hand Charlotte Mason Summaries by Leslie Noelani Laurio (from Ambleside Online) for quick reference. I also liked Home Education in Modern English: Volume 1 of Charlotte Mason's Series by Lelise Noelani Laurio and Towards a Philosophy of Education in Modern English: Volume 6 of Charlotte Mason's Series. I own all 6 of Charlotte Mason's original volumes as well and enjoying comparing them to the modern English versions. Miss Mason's original volumes are not for the faint of heart. Volumes 1 and 6 seem to be the easiest of CM's writings to read first. I would highly recommend the Modern English version of volumes 1 and 6 of these books for CM lovers. :D

On a sidenote, I tried to underline all of these titles but kept running into problems with all of the text getting underlined instead, so I apologize for the lack of underlining. :D

Blessings,
Carrie