Box day & Ideas for doing Beyond at half-speed

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sted

Box day & Ideas for doing Beyond at half-speed

Post by sted » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow, I just received my materials and am I ever excited. I contemplated doing HOD for 4 maybe 5 months now. I'm glad I just finally ordered. Now I'm wishing I ordered the Emerging Readers set and Bigger extensions. I may have to put in another order! Did it ever come fast! I was contemplating using something different for my oldest to do with American History but looking at Bigger, she really wants just o do HOD so I think I will order the extensions.

Now my question is: How can I effectively do Beyond with my 6yr. old at half-pace. I don't really think she would be ready for Bigger in Grade 2 so I want to draw it out for a couple years and maybe add in some other stuff down the road. Would doing left side one day and right side the other be balanced? I think they should be doing reading a math each day. Anyone care to share ideas? I know someone posted a great schedule for doing Bigger at half-speed. I'm sure it will fall into place as I get into it but I'd love to see what others have done.

Thanks,
Shannon
dd, age 14
dd, age 12
dd, age 10
ds, age 8
dd, age 5
dd, age 1

Tree House Academy

Re: Box day & Ideas for doing Beyond at half-speed

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Have you looked at Bigger (day by day) without the extensions? I am doing both right now - Beyond with an almost 6 year old and Bigger (w/extensions) with a 10 year old. I think, once you get into Bigger, you will see that it can definitely be done with a younger child. If the hangup is, say, the amount of writing, you can tweek it and not require so much. Of course, if the issue is reading comprehension (meaning when you read to her), then I see what you mean. Hmmm...I have no suggestions, but want to offer you the best of luck and hope that you enjoy your year! Sounds like we are using the same programs. We are 2 weeks in and LOVE it!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:54 am

I'm slowing Beyond down for my 6 yo son by doing HOD work 3 days a week. We'll do all the boxes for each day on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. On Monday and Friday we'll do math, copywork (not from HOD) and reading (also not from HOD), plus any extras we have time for, oh yeah, and run errands. I'm slowing both Beyond and Bigger down in this way in order to have my ds be finishing 8th grade when he completes the HOD guides that are currently planned by Carrie.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Shannon,

I'm so glad that you've received your materials and have the books in hand! How exciting to really dig in and look in depth at what the year ahead holds with HOD. :D

The ladies have already given you some great tips for stretching Beyond out over 2 years. I am a visual learner, so at our house I've found it easy to do left side of the plans one day and the right side the next when stretching a guide. I agree that doing math and reading (when the kiddos are learning phonics or emerging as a reader) are best done at least 4 days a week to get consistency. :wink:

Another way we've enjoyed stretching is doing a full day of Beyond 4 days a week and then going 9 weeks into the next school year to finish. We'll likely be doing that this upcoming year with our own 6 year old in Beyond. :D

Blessings,
Carrie