Is copywork what our dc use for handwriting in BLHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
savedbyloveandmercy

Is copywork what our dc use for handwriting in BLHFHG?

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi, ladies! I'll be starting BLHFHG with my ds soon, but as I was looking through all the materials, I noticed that handwriting wasn't listed in the curriculum.
When looking at the sample lesson in the catalog, I read that poems are used for copywork. I just want to be sure that I'm not missing something, and that I'll have everything I need.

Thanks!

Briana

funkmomma71

Re: Is copywork what our dc use for handwriting in BLHFHG?

Post by funkmomma71 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 am

Yes, the poetry copywork is what you use for handwriting in Beyond, and it is plenty! :D What I like about it is that it meaningful so my dd tries her very best to neat handwriting. I print out special primary lined notebook paper with wide margins so I will be able to bind it at the end of the year.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:32 am

We are doing BLHFHG this year too- we are on wk 1 - day 3.
My son developed an intense dislike of handwriting.I think this stems from his short time at school when he was nearly five.Each day their first task was to write their name on their laminated name card.The handwriting was cursive and it was pointless[according to my son] because as soon as it was shown to the teacher it was wiped off.He really struggled [ at four] to produce the cursive handwriting required.
Anyhow my point to this rambling is to say that today we continued our copywork.It is not perfect,his letters are uneven- a couple of 'a' s are the wrong way round-[ a confusion from the cursive he was taught at four- every letter starts on the line so a gets two sticks] BUT today he was so proud of his copywork he put it on the fridge for everyone to see.He has NEVER been proud of his handwriting before and me being and it brought a tear to me eye to see him so proud of something which was such a negative thing previously
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

sewpeaceful

Post by sewpeaceful » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:45 am

Regarding the letters being "flipped" occassionally: that is a maturity growth thing. It is normal even for a first and second grader to get them backwards on occassion. They do eventually grow out of it. Just lovingly keep working with them and before you know it you will look back and grin on the sweet days of flipped letters.