What a Week!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

What a Week!

Post by MamaMary » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:32 am

Have you ever had one of those weeks, where some things are HORRIBLE and some are SO wonderful? Well, that was my life this week :?

I had the absolute pleasure of allowing my art minded son to take the Barry Stebbing 3-Day workshop. This is one of the boys w/ learning differences and he placed in the "Advanced" program and got an A+ on his homework. He also won the honor of being the "Most improved" student. If you have a child who struggles with learning you will know that it's not often these children get to enjoy of feeling special like this. I praise the Lord for going before us and making this opportunity available.

http://homepage.mac.com/heyarnolds/PPEA ... um312.html

However, towards the end of the first Barry Stebbing class today I saw that I had a message from my mom. I checked it thinking it would say something simple like, Hey Mare, it's mom give me a call".

Instead it was a message telling me that my dad had inoperable colon cancer and that it didn't look good. I called her back and even had a chance to speak with my dad. Will you please pray for him and his upcoming doctor appointment next monday?

The Lord is so gracious because I actually felt overwhelmed to camp out
in Lamentations 3 late Sunday night for over an hour. Then he woke me up
30 mins early (5am) on Monday and had me stay there. I was so
blessed and had no idea what was coming, but I can now see that HE
knows my tomorrows (even when I don't) and He was preparing my heart
for the news I was going to receive.

I truly am feeling HIS perfect peace, though it was a bit of a shock at first. Let me share my favorite part of Lamentations....,

3:22-24"The faithful love of the Lord never ends. His Mercies never
cease. Great is His faithfulness; Great is his faithfulness. His
mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, the Lord is my
inheritance; therefore I will hope in HIM!"

31- For no one is abandoned by the Lord forever. Though he brings
grief, he also shows compassion because of the greatness of His
unfailing love. For He does not enjoy hurting people or causing them
sorrow.

My mom and dad seem to be at a place of rest right now. There is nothing we can do until after he has his CAT scan and meets w/ his doctor. I do not know if my father knows the Lord? But I know that the Lord wants not one person to perish and so I will pray with all my being and trust that the Lord is a perfectly "just" God who wants the best outcome for my precious father.

Wednesday was my 20th anniversary and my husband took two vacation days. Wednesday we ran errands together and then had a steak dinner and Thursday we went to Busch Gardens and I overcame my fear of heights to experience SHEIKRA with him!

I prayed Phil 4:13 all the way to the park asking the Lord to give me HIS strength and peace. He planted a mom right behind us in line with her son who was my Colton's age and we talked so much that before I knew it I was buckled in looking at the sky was we climbed 200 feet up into the air :shock: If you want to laugh hysterically, just visit my blog and see my face. They snapped this as I had just dropped 200 feet STRAIGHT DOWN!

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

My girlfriend Lani ordered her "Bigger" set and she is awaiting her first HOD box day. Now we can be HODies together! :lol:

I also had MY box day this week! I now have EVERYTHING! Can I say that I absolutey ADORE the CLP books? I LOVE them. I know that by themselves they might be boring but when you add in the activities, art, copywork, poetry, everything that Carrie includes it is a PUUURFECT!

I have one more week off before we come back and get serious about our HOD journey, but considering I wasn't going to start till August we are already ahead of the game :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:04 am

Oh Mary...my heart goes out to you! Prayers are going up for your father and for your strength and peace. You have got such a wonderful spirit and attitude, one that I envy and wish I could have in me! You had me smiling and aching with you. I am a firm believer in the fact that God always works things out for the good and that we will always be able to look back and see His hand working in places and ways we are not even aware of.

Your pictures are great...just one question....were you 12 when you married this man? You look way to young to have been married 20 yrs!

I'm also jealous of your sandles and capris.....it's a balmy 14 degrees here this morning with freezing rain and more snow on the way tonight! I want to be in sandles!

Can't wait to see your next batch of pics!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:45 am

Just wanted to say I enjoy your posts and pictures-and that I will be praying for your father. (((hugs)))
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:51 am

Oh Mary I am sorry to hear about your Dad. I will say a prayer for him. It is so comforting how the Lord knows what we need before we do.

Good for you for overcoming your fears! :D I love rollercoasters! I am off to check out your blog.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:53 am

Dear Mary,
You and your parents are in my thoughts and prayers. I know it must be so hard. My dad has had a heart attack and clots pass through his heart over the past few years, and I've felt like that roller coaster ride going through that with him and with my mother. It is difficult to see a strong man be weak. I have prayed that your dad will open his heart to the Lord at this time, and I know that has got to be weighing heavily on you. That is a somewhat helpless feeling - but nothing has the power to save like the Lord's name. I too have someone very close to me that is family and is not sure of salvation. It has the power to break my heart somedays if I dwell on it. However, one of my favorite Casting Crowns songs right now is "There is Hope for Every Man" - and there truly is. When I hear those words, I just give that up to the Lord and find the strength to pray yet again for this person I love to be saved.

May the Lord be your strong tower. May His love envelope you and your family at this time. Your faith shines brightly, Mary. You are a blessing and a witness for the Lord to all who come into contact with you - even those of us simply typing on a computer can feel your deep love for God. He will get you through this. Sending love your way!
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Mary,

Praying for your family! Hang in there and trust God will pull you through! God can do miracles with hearts and bodies.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:39 pm

Mary,

I will be praying for your family. I know how trying times like this can be. I lost my mom (only 51) last September. While it doesn't always make sense, I can tell you firsthand that His grace is sufficient! He is truly the God of all comfort.

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Candice

Post by Candice » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Mary,

Will certainly be praying for your family. I absolutely admire your strength and faith. You are an example to all of us.

Looking forward to visiting your blog!

Candice
Last edited by Candice on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Every single one of you have so blessed my heart. Thank YOU so much for your prayers and words of encouragement!

I know that though I am feeling great now, that could change tomorrow or even in the next breath. I also know that this is a Marathon and not a sprint, so I am sure there will be up's and down's.

My prayer is that I won't forget to remember to go to HIM for the hard parts. This father of mine was actually my step father who stepped in and raised and eventually adopted me when my biological father moved on to have a new family and raise a different daughter. I was/am so very blessed.

Isn't it funny that my memory verse is, "Dear Friends, don't be surprised by the fiery trial you are going through as if something strange were happening to you! Instead, be very glad for these trials will make you partners with Christ in HIS suffering. For All who are being called by the spirit of God are children of God. 1 Peter 4:12-13
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Candice

Post by Candice » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:02 pm

MamaMary wrote:Every single one of you have so blessed my heart. Thank YOU so much for your prayers and words of encouragement!

I know that though I am feeling great now, that could change tomorrow or even in the next breath. I also know that this is a Marathon and not a sprint, so I am sure there will be up's and down's.

My prayer is that I won't forget to remember to go to HIM for the hard parts. This father of mine was actually my step father who stepped in and raised and eventually adopted me when my biological father moved on to have a new family and raise a different daughter. I was/am so very blessed.

Isn't it funny that my memory verse is, "Dear Friends, don't be surprised by the fiery trial you are going through as if something strange were happening to you! Instead, be very glad for these trials will make you partners with Christ in HIS suffering. For All who are being called by the spirit of God are children of God. 1 Peter 4:12-13
You really are great Mary!

Candice

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:22 am

Candice wrote:
You really are great Mary!

Candice

Candice can I just wrap you up and keep you around?! :D The truth is (and I do not say this glibly) I am not great at all. Left by myself I know ALL of my shortcomings and weaknesses. (there are so very many)

But, PTL, I do know the ONE who IS Great! Amen?! :D :wink:

You are such a sweet..., SWEET person and you are a blessing. The Lord has given you the gift of encouragement.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Mary,

We will be praying for you and your family at our house too. Your personal faith shines through in every post, and I am privileged to share the board with ladies like you who strive to walk the walk of Christianity in each day, even when it's a struggle.

I don't know if any of you ladies have ever had the chance to read the book "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentice, but it was such an eye-opener to me about how we as Christians are called to face trials and suffering with faith in our Lord in order to bring glory to our Father in heaven.

I can see that faith glowing in you, Mary.

Blessings,
Carrie

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Carrie wrote:Mary,

I don't know if any of you ladies have ever had the chance to read the book "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentice, but it was such an eye-opener to me about how we as Christians are called to face trials and suffering with faith in our Lord in order to bring glory to our Father in heaven.
This is a wonderful book Carrie. Very inspirational and funny. Excellent!

Mary, I'll be praying for your Dad....

Annaz

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Ditto on the "Stepping Heavenward" book - in fact I was just thinking I should read it again!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:55 pm

I LOVED this book too! It's been such a long time since I read it though. Maybe this is a good time to re-read? I don't even remember if I finished it?

Once again, thank YOU so much for your prayers, your words of encouragement and your sweet spirits. You bless me :) :(