Search is coming up blank- 4 or 5 day schedule question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jewel7123

Search is coming up blank- 4 or 5 day schedule question

Post by jewel7123 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 pm

I am trying to do a search to see threads about working the program into a 4 day schedule (LHTH and LHFHG) and also about doing year round schooling. However, when I type 4 day schedule it says it's too general. If you know of a good thread that discusses modifying a manual into a 4 day schedule and/or year round schooling, if you wouldn't mind, please post a link here!

Thanks so much!

Jennifer
Jennifer in TX

crlacey

Re: Search is coming up blank- 4 or 5 day schedule question

Post by crlacey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:09 pm

I don't know of a good thread, but I can tell you that I have done a 4 day schedule and year-round schooling this past year. We just picked up the manual where we left off and didn't worry about what the day # was. We also just took breaks as needed or when the weather was too nice to ignore. Since we started LHFHG in March of 2008, we did eventually finish around May of 2009. So we took a break for June to visit family and started Beyond at the beginning of August.

I hope that someone else can help you find previous threads about this.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

AnaDawson

Post by AnaDawson » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Our plan this year is to do school three months on and one month off. In a way we will be doing school year round. The summers in south Texas are very harsh and we need to be in-doors for most of the summer. We are doing school four days a week. We will just pick up on Monday with day five after the first week in school. I have figured out that if we do this it will take us 8.5 weeks more than the 34 weeks allotted for in the manual. This would work well for you if you are trying to do school year round. You will probably also have your kids doing the last few units of the previous manual when you start your next school year. I like doing 4 days a week for several reasons, but mostly because in a year my dd will be doing Preparing and will be on a 4 day schedule anyway. Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Ana Dawson
Blessings,

Ana Dawson

Mommy to:
Ava 7 BHFHG
Walker 5 LHFHG
Reed 3
Ella 1

mommyofgirls

Post by mommyofgirls » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi Jennifer! i will be doing LHFHG and LHTH this year as well! i posted a question about a 4 day schedule a while ago, but most of the responses i got were just like what these ladies have said. if you want to do 4 days, it looks like you just do it and the only difference is it takes longer to finish it. sounds too simple, i know, but that's what they told me too. :lol: i think we are going to do 5 days for a while and maybe move to 4 days once our coop classes start...i'm not sure. all i know is that i have to be done by May because May in Missouri is too beautiful to be inside doing school! :wink:
Wife to my wonderful husband for 8 years
dd5 - LHFHG, Abeka phonics, Horizons math
dd3 - LHTH
dd1 - bringing me Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and sitting in my lap :)

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:02 pm

I have a couple of different ideas for you.

Last year we did a 4 day schedule because dd goes to an arts & history academy one day per week. I used removable Post It tabs - one for each box or you can combine some - and moved them forward as we completed each box. With Beyond there are 8 boxes so we actually completed 10 boxes each day (2 extra each day) and moved the tabs to keep our place. That way we completed 5 days of lessons in 4 days.

This year with Bigger we will attempt to keep up that pace but will more than likely just roll our weeks over. We will probably do 4 days in 4. We will once again use the tabs and will go at whatever pace works best - probably a bit slower. That will be fine since we try to school over the summer some anyway rather than take such a long break from academics.

I highly recommend the Post It tabs. I use them to mark the sections in the appendix as well - Poetry, Emerging Readers, Spelling, Storytime... Saves times when I need to check something there.

HTH,
Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:18 pm

So Judy, am I understanding it right that you have a different tab on each box and then move it to the next day's box when you complete the box? Do you have different colors for each box also? We are most likely going to take Bigger slow...not sure if I'm going to do a 4 day week or left side one day, right side the next. Just trying to envision what you are talking about...sounds like a great idea! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes, for Beyond there were 8 boxes and I used 4 tabs - History/Poetry, Reading/Spelling, Storytime/Math, and Bible/SAHG (Science, Art, HIstory Activity, Geography). As I finished one of the pairs of boxes, I moved that tab to the next day. You may want to use 8 tabs or pair differently - whatever works for you. :wink:

For Bigger there are 10 boxes. I may use 10 tabs...maybe a couple less if a couple of boxes can be covered together. As I complete oen I will move it to the next page.

This is especially helpful is there is a Science experiment or similar item that gets shelved for a later time or day. I leave the tab there to remind me to cover that then move it forward to the appropriate day/page.

It was a huge help to keep me on track.

HTH,
Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:34 pm

jewel7123 wrote:I am trying to do a search to see threads about working the program into a 4 day schedule (LHTH and LHFHG) and also about doing year round schooling. However, when I type 4 day schedule it says it's too general. If you know of a good thread that discusses modifying a manual into a 4 day schedule and/or year round schooling, if you wouldn't mind, please post a link here!

Thanks so much!

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer! :D We just do school 4 days and take longer to go through a guide. We've done this with both LHFHG and Beyond, and it's worked out well. I like to keep all of the left side of the plans intact, since they all go together with the history theme.

I tried doubling up on days for different things previously (when I had gotten behind due to having my premature baby hospitalized) to catch up, and it started to feel jumbled to me, like I wasn't getting the full benefit of the guide and my dc weren't remembering things as well. So, I just went to doing them 4 days and taking longer to do each program. When you get to PHFHG, from there on up a 4 day plan is used. It's just these younger years that have 5 day plans. The ladies have given some great ideas here, so you can decide what will work well for your schedule. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie