Grouping Kids Together

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kathleen

Grouping Kids Together

Post by Kathleen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 pm

I have a question that I won't need to act on right away, but was looking for some insight and some things to think on as I move down the road.  I have a dd - 3 and a ds - 1.  I'm currently doing LHTH with dd (we started in August, but we're only on week 8 ).  We love it though!  :)

I was wondering about combining her w/ her younger brother.  They are within a few weeks of being exactly 2 yrs apart.  Would I need to wait to let her start LHFHG until she's 6 and he's 4?  Could I do it with her and then redo it agin w/ brother?  What's best?  Or should I keep them seperate?

I'd love some ideas from those of you who have moved your kids up through HOD and combined or done them seperate.  It seems to me that getting them started will be the hardest.  I think dd will be ready for something like LHFHG before she's 6.

Thanks in advance for sharing what has worked with you!
Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:51 am

I think most moms will agree that grouping kids together depends a LOT more on ability levels than ages. I have an extremely unique situation with mine...3 in 15 months, BUT if one of them were very below or above the ability level of the others, I would keep them seperate. You'll just have to "cross that bridge when you get there" so to speak! :wink:

I was ready for the straightjacket when my kiddos were babies...3 cribs, 3 different diaper sizes....but NOW I see that it was God's perfect plan for my family!

I tried to keep mine seperate in the beginning (K for my twins, pre-k for dd) BUT it didn't work. My dd proved that she could do everything the other 2 did....and sometimes better!

Combining is great, but it's not for everyone. This is my story, but I can't wait to hear from others!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:01 am

Forgot to mention....there was a thread not to long ago about doing a program twice. I think the concensus (sp?) was that this is not a good idea. Either stretch it out longer by adding to it, or just do one page a day, but don't do the same program twice. You may end up having to seperate them as most 4 yo are not ready for Little Hearts.

Changing the subject....I have a really good friend who dairys! We went over and stood in their trench to watch them milk once....very interesting! They also homeschool and she was one of the first people that got me interested in it. How close are you to KC? I'm hoping (fingers-crossed) to go to the MPE convention this year.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

netpea

not for us

Post by netpea » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 am

that wouldn't have worked for us. My son was ready for Little Hearts at 5. My daughter (2 years younger) is now 5 and not ready yet. I will start her at 6. We will be doing Bigger with my son next year and Little Hearts with my daughter.

They are just at such different levels of maturity that combining would be too much work. Your kids may be different though.

blessedmomof4

Re: Grouping Kids Together

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:37 am

Hoppin with Joy wrote:I have a question that I won't need to act on right away, but was looking for some insight and some things to think on as I move down the road.  I have a dd - 3 and a ds - 1.  I'm currently doing LHTH with dd (we started in August, but we're only on week 8 ).  We love it though!  :)

I was wondering about combining her w/ her younger brother.  They are within a few weeks of being exactly 2 yrs apart.  Would I need to wait to let her start LHFHG until she's 6 and he's 4?  Could I do it with her and then redo it agin w/ brother?  What's best?  Or should I keep them seperate?
Hi-I'm very big on combining, BUT, I wouldn't do it in your case. Little Hearts for His Glory is too much for most 4 year olds, but would be perfect for your 6 year old. It would be best probably to keep them separate, using Little Hands to Heaven for your 4 year old and Little Hearts for his Glory with your 6 year old. I would use them at whatever pace worked best, and then move each child up to the next program when they're ready (Beyond Little Hearts for the older, Little Hearts for the younger).

It shouldn't be too hard to do both Little Hands and Little Hearts, as you already know Little hands only takes 30 minutes a day, and I believe Little Hearts takes about 90 minutes.

I hope that made sense.

I just realized-you might not even need to wait til dd is 6-she could be ready for Little Hearts for His Glory at age 5, and then your ds could slowly do Little Hands to Heaven starting at age 3-I just looked back at their current ages :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi! I think that it would probably be best to keep them separate. It is not difficult doing 2 HOD programs at the same time. We're doing separate HOD programs for our dc now, and it's going great.

I do think combining works well if children are quite close ability-wise in what they are able to do. Overall, I think that after time passes it will become clearer what is best for you to do. For now, I'd be thinking 2 programs, but that could certainly change.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks for your input! I have plenty of time to see how this plays out and most of you said what I was already thinking. The only reason I was really curious about combining is that I'll have 3 programs going soon and more toddlers/babies (Lord willing) in the house.

I'm sure I'll have more questions about this in the future!:wink:

Thanks for sharing all your experience! :D

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH