Bigger Hearts for His Glory

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rebecca

Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Post by Rebecca » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Please share your experiences with this program...
What are your favorite books?
What have your child(ren) loved?

I have ordered the ecconomy package(I think that is what it is- the guide and core history books) and it is on its way (amazingly fast service I might add)...
and picked up a couple of extra books to preview from the program.

I am very excited about what I have seen! and was wondering if anyone had favorites?

I have been struggling so much for what to use next year- having tried so many different things... and not liking them/flowing well- and then finally finding a program I adored (Living Books Curriculum) only to run into major content issue snags!
So, I am grateful for a curriculum that takes these content issues and the tender hearts of children seriously...

I might add that we LOVE the One Small Square series here in our house and have almost every one except Night Sky, I think... so my boys are very excited to have that scheduled into their school
We also did a little Audubon study last year- so they are looking forward to that as well...
Sincerely,
Rebecca

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm

Rebecca,

I know the other moms using "Bigger..." will chime in here, but I wanted to also direct you to the "Bigger..." folder/forum on our site because I just moved some back posts/threads into that folder today (so those thinking about "Bigger..." can get a better picture of it)! So here's the link to the folder and happy reading! :D
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewforum.php?f=5

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi Rebecca!

I'm looking forward to using Bigger in a few months for the first time, too! I look forward to hearing replies to your question and looking at the folder Carrie suggested.

Isn't it fun to find something that "fits" with your desires to train/teach/nurture your children?!

Happy schooling! :D
Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi Rebecca! I'm so glad you are here! We are in Week 20 of Bigger... and are really enjoying it! As far as favorites... I'll just ask my ds who popped into the room...
*the history books
*the poetry
*the Bible study
*math
*cheerful cursive
*science notebooking
*the grammar
*the hymns
O.k. This is very funny! I think he named just about everything in the program, with no prompting from me. Anyway, I'll embellish a bit with my thoughts on it...
The books are living, stick in ds's mind, and make discussions memorable.

My son reads the poetry with such expression and gusto, and this is NOT normal for his personality. He's definitely ALL boy and somewhat quiet with his emotions usually.

I LOVE the Bible study. This is where we cuddle up on the couch and have deep talks about our faith and it's just an awesome feeling.

I like the hands-on math in the guide and the short math lessons. He is doing very well with math.

Cursive is easy to teach with this program.

The notebooking is producing a beautiful notebook, that he is very proud of. He is not one to do projects like this, and the guidance given is just enough to help him both enjoy it and be successful with it.

The grammar can be done mostly orally, and it makes total sense to him.

I love that we can sing hymns together in church that we've learned in school.

The dictation, copywork, and grammar are helping my son be a good speller and writer, which was a struggle before.

So - I guess you could just say we both love it! We also enjoy doing DITHOR with it.

Welcome to the boards, Rebecca! Can't wait to get to know you more!
Last edited by my3sons on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Ditto to what my3sons said :D :lol:
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99