Ok another question Julie or Carrie or somebody lol

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rainbowacreshs

Ok another question Julie or Carrie or somebody lol

Post by rainbowacreshs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 am

Whoo HOO I placed my order last night for the CTC economy package! It might be tax time before I can order the extensions and basic option package.
I am really getting excited about just plunging in once it gets here.
From all the reading of so many threads I think I am begining to grasp a concept about HOD, so please tell me if I am on target about this.
HOD is not about grade level...it is age level... right?
If then this the exact approach then I could possibly squeeze another half year to year extra out of CTC for my dd- 12 (will be 13 in Nov.)
Now I listed my dd as 6th/7th grader with my homeschool association based on the fact that some things she still works on a lower 6th grade level (like her math...we are still working in Saxon 65 with hopes of finishing up that book by at least the end of Sept, and language arts -writing/comphrension). She has been exposed to upper middle to jr high level history, though she struggled with the load of writing and expectations. Her science exposure has been in the last two years has been predominately Life Science - hence the reason why we are doing our own science this year we are focusing on Earth and Physical. Believe me I love Life Science -- but if I have to bear my way through one more project on birds, biomes, or anything that makes woof, roar, or oink I think I'm going to join the funny farm. LOL

Ok, with that being said, let me see if I can formulate my exact train of thought.
1. HOD is age level

2. This means we are being given a unique opportunity to "catch up" to the "grade-level" of where she should be by pacing the work in CTC.

3. Becuase of the approach HOD takes, I could slow down our "school year" extend it beyond the 180 days or school year round, or just claim my 180 days and start a new "calendar year" on the following day.

4. I wanted to be sure that dd grasped what she needed from the 6th grade, but at the time of finding HOD hubby and I felt she hadnt. Now as we have read so many threads and seen so many different mom's praises, thoughts and concerns, I am realizing that we could take our time with CTC this year and she could transition into "7th" grade next year with out the stigmatism of being left behind (she does have peers at church who are prodimantely public school), because HOD is more of age level than grade level. DD could now answer that forboding question of "What grade are you in?" with the answer "I am working on my age level." Am I making any sense or am I running circles again?

5. Becuase dd won't turn 13 until November could I technically school with CTC for a full year -- her age year from now until Novmember 2010 to allow ample time to "finish" CTC. Is it possible to stretch CTC into a year and half to two year program for her age, would it be wise, or would it be best to stay on the track of finishing CTC within a 180 school year.

6. With all that being mentally gurgated to type, could I start CTC this year at "halfpace"... basically, employing my LA/Reading program, she can continue to work Saxon 65 until we are ready to start 76, I could omit the Story Time box or use the elements of it to enhance the LA arts we are using, use the science elements of CTC as a guide line on how to encourage dd to begin working independently with the science we do have. Then once I do have the money, order the basic opt and or ext. pkg, and work them in to where we are in the manual at the time or simply go back and work them from the day 1 until we are done?.
Is it possible to stretch CTC into a year and half to two year program for her age, would it be wise, or would it be best to stay on the track of finishing CTC within a "school year".

7. Could I do this with future manuals so long as her science, math, and reading are challenged on the levels she needs to be, right?

8. So it could be possible to be able to use HOD into at least her "9th" grade year?

Again, I know I may have very well answered my own questions....
I apperciate yall letting me run circles here. I guess I am just thrilled to have found a curriculum that is so flexible bet yet very comphrensive. I just want it to last as long as possible, you know like that last piece of really expensive chocolate that you hoard becuase its sooooo goood! I am very excited to finally have placed my order and am eagerly awaiting my box!
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

crlacey

Re: Ok another question Julie or Carrie or somebody lol

Post by crlacey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am

I am pretty new to homeschooling since my DD is only 6 and would be in 1st grade if in public school. We use the public school age requirements when telling others what grade she is in, which also helps her know what Sunday School class to go to. But we teach subjects at her level. So her LA is closer to a 2nd grade level and math is still first grade. We don't let the level of work she is doing dictate her "grade". So with HOD, they do not assign a grade to each program, rather a target age range since some kids are working ahead or behind.

I don't know what is required from your state for reporting, but here in PA we can count any school work done after July 1 for the current school year for our required days. That does not mean we need to finish a set program in that time, just that we need to have 180 days of instruction. So in theory, you could work at half speed on a manual to stretch it out to last more than one traditional 180 day school year.

I'm not sure if that helps at all, but hopefully other moms with more knowledge and experience can help answer your questions better.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm so glad that your daughter will get a chance to use CTC! I agree that you could easily start at half-pace with CTC to ease your daughter into the guide and to train her in independence. As she hits her stride with the guide, however, I would move toward doing a day within a day if at all possible.

CTC is a 4-day plan already, which makes it tough to stretch out to 2 years. While not needing to finish the guide within a year, I would take your cue from her and move forward at a pace that stengthens her skills and yet challenges her. We plan to have our new medieval/renaissance/reformation guide out next August so that will be waiting in the wings when your daughter is ready for it. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Carrie has already answered, but I just wanted to add that I think HOD is more "at your child's level" rather than age level or grade level. I am using Bigger with extensions for my 10 year old 5th grader this year. Next year, I will use Bigger without extensions for my 7 year old 2nd grader. The thing that makes HOD so special, IMO, is that you can beef up or slow down the History, Science, and Bible while working at your child's pace and on their level with the basics. My older son is doing end of 3rd grade LA, mid 4th grade math, and then HOD Bigger with extensions. For all intensive purposes, he is a 5th grader, but being a homeschooler, I don't have to lump him in with the masses in ps. He had a LOT of gaps in his learning from his public school years. We are catching those up now. What I hope he comes out of his education with is a good foundation. I want him to learn the basics, get a good grasp on them, and then further his learning on his own - in college or in a career/trade. The joy of homeschooling for me is being able to meet them at their level. Heart of Dakota is one of the only curriculums I have found out there that is all in one as far as instruction, but still alows your child to work where they are in the basics. :) Does that makes sense?
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Yes! Thank yall very much. I think mom has finally got the big picture lol. I can't wait for the stuff I have ordered and trying hard to tuck away more money to catch the extensions when I can.
Last night my hubby and i went for our nightly walk and I was able to explain to him how this wonderful curriculum work. His biggest concern was being able to follow the lessons plans and be able to 'teach' if he needed to. I told him that other ladies on the board had positive reactions from most of their hubbies and that they found the program easy to follow. I can't wait till next year and the coming years when we can move along with our youngest dd in this program.
Thank yall again for allowing me to talk myself in circles in the most positive ways! 8)
~Jasmine~

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I just wanted to assure you that HOD is hubby-friendly! :D My dear hubby is no teacher, and I am thankful that the Lord gave him a business-mind to run our business! However, my dear husband IS able to teach right from our guides, with no help from me. :D

He has had to pitch in and do days of LHTH, LHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, and CTC in the past years. This year, he'll get a chance to teach from Beyond too! He has even tackled DITHR, which is saying alot! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:10 am

Carrie wrote:I just wanted to assure you that HOD is hubby-friendly! :D My dear hubby is no teacher, and I am thankful that the Lord gave him a business-mind to run our business! However, my dear husband IS able to teach right from our guides, with no help from me. :D
My dh also teaches HOD with no issues. I had him doing it two days a week for a while there and he did great. It's good to let them do it once in a while I think. Makes them appreciate what we are using to teach our kids. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:57 am

Sorry, but which level is CTC? :oops:
Jenn, mom to 10

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Jenn!
Okay from what I have been able to figure out look at the scope and sequence link.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php

CTC is written for ages 9 - 11 with extensions for 6th and 7th graders.

My oldest dd is 12 will be 13 in Nov. Technically she should be entering 7th, but my husband I wanted to hold her another year at 6th grade. Then I found HOD. Wonderful things happened when I began to wrap my mind around what is offered with this curriculum. I am loving the fact that by sometime in this year I will probably have her on track and with improvement in the skill areas she needs. I'll bridge her into 7th grade level work as the year progresses The design of this curriculum gives room for those who are advanced, lagging, or right on! Loving HOD even more.
~Jasmine~

jenn in nc

Post by jenn in nc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions. :D
Jenn, mom to 10

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:06 am

LOL... I'm just as much a newbie too! I can't wait for my box to arrive, I only wish I could have bought all the packages. I'm having to economize. As soon as I can I'll get the basic history opt pack and just start it a little later. In the meantime, once I get the manual, I'll take a look at the order of generes and hopefully supplement the extra reading/levels through library books.
~Jasmine~