What do you do when...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Evergreen Mama

What do you do when...

Post by Evergreen Mama » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:47 pm

you are working with one child on a subject when another child finishes their "assigned" work and the next thing on tap is done with Mum? What do you have that child do?

This scenerio for some reason stumps me and yet I am sure that there is a simple solution that I am just not getting. It happens with my 8 and 6 yo kids. When I give them "free time" for the next 5-10 minutes it seems to be difficult to get them drawn back into the realm of schoolwork and busy work at the table is not my desire either.

any suggestions?
Davena
Wife to Garrett, Mom to four kiddos

jensmom

Re: What do you do when...

Post by jensmom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 pm

Well, if you were using workboxes you could have the second child move on to another box to give you time to finish up with the first child. We just started using workboxes last week and they are already making things easier and more relaxed.

HTH,
Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

Evergreen Mama

Post by Evergreen Mama » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:43 am

I have seen and am interested in the workboxes. It makes a lot of sense. But maybe I am just missing a detail or something because I don't have a lot of independent work for them to just move onto. I am still where I need to direct/read with/teach the majority of their subjects. Therefore, lets say I went over math and then he is working on it independently while I am going over math with another kiddo. Then he finishes his math work and the next subject is .... science or history read a loud or side by side reading/DITHR or dictation or grammar. All of which I am required to be available. I am only talking 5-10 minutes here and there. I LOVE the workbox system and I WANT to implement it. This is truly the only area that I am not wrapping my mind around. Maybe I am micromanaging too much? I just know that if history repeats itself in our school days... 5-10 minutes undirected can break motivation and a good portion of the rest of the day can be lost. I am trying to work with the schedule/flow of my day to see if these types of occurrences will be followed up by playtime naturally. We'll see.
Davena

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:24 am

Could you have a few file folder games that they can do by themselves while you finish with the other child? I use matching games a lot for my youngest (3 yrs) to do while I am working with my oldest (6 yrs). I have a bunch of basic addition and subtraction file folder games for the older one as well as some phonics games. Recently, my FIL gave us a math shark game to use during those in-between times.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

butterfly113

Post by butterfly113 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:31 am

How about getting a 'workbook' with fun stuff... mazes, dot to dots, coloring... that could be kept close at hand. It would be easy for them to pick up and go with it, and stop quickly too. It may even end up being a motivator to work diligently for those few extra minutes of 'free' time. Also, math practice sheets, wrap ups and other peg board games too... HTH!
Butterfly
Married to Grasshopper for 21 wonderful years.
DS14 Caterpillar - full of life!
http://joshuatreeacademy.blogspot.com

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:23 am

Evergreen Mama wrote:you are working with one child on a subject when another child finishes their "assigned" work and the next thing on tap is done with Mum? What do you have that child do?

This scenerio for some reason stumps me and yet I am sure that there is a simple solution that I am just not getting. It happens with my 8 and 6 yo kids. When I give them "free time" for the next 5-10 minutes it seems to be difficult to get them drawn back into the realm of schoolwork and busy work at the table is not my desire either.

any suggestions?
Hi Davena,

What a GREAT question! I am very much interested in checking out workboxes. I started to several months ago and then it got lost in busyness, but I keep hearing wonderful things from people I've known for years. However, barring workboxes I just let my young dependent children play if they finish early. They can go in my backyard and play on the swingset. (I can see it from my dining room window where we are doing school) play with toys and (GASP) if it's raining or too hot I will even occassionally let them play with their ninetendo DS. (handheld) The rule is that they have to put it away with a good attitude when it's time or that no longer is an option. This is for my young children who are not ready to do work independently yet. My older children do their chore, read a book, yesterday my 13 year old took a break and mowed our yard, LOL :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:07 am

Evergreen Mama-I will be teaching a 7 y/o and a 5 y/o and have wondered the same thing. My dc do not have a lot they can do independently yet. Thanks for starting this thread. :D
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 am

I do not schedule independent work. For example, I wouldn't have my 5th grader do all her independent work first thing in the morning. I save it as filler. That has been touched on already.

Other constructive time fillers in our house....

For youngers
Books on audio (I try to have it set up ahead of time so all he has to do is hit play).
Puzzles
Magnet letters for the fridge. (He practices forming his spelling words on the fridge)
Resin animal tubes (at least 4 different biomes) all mixed up. White (arctic), blue (ocean), green (jungle), and tan (desert) paper. He separates the animals into their biomes.
Play dough (structured play. Read the younger a story and then have them act out the story with playdough or use ABC cookie cutters, etc.)
Homemade Trail Mix (peanuts, cereals, raisins, etc.) - Create patterns, divide into a graph, etc.
Chores (Okay, Mommy is finishing up English with sister so I want you to see if you can pick up 20 things in your room. On your mark, get set, go....)
Computer time (Starfall)
Look at a book.
Jump on the mini trampoline.

For olders

Obviously this is easier.
Chores
Sewing or other handicraft (My daughter loves hand sewing and always has something going).
Practicing musical instrument
Listing to audio story
Practicing Awana verses
Typing spelling words on the computer
Reading
Skip to another subject
Play for a few minutes with another sibling

It explains though why I don't have a schedule. No 15 min. increments here. We have routines but they have to be fluid enough to allow for piano practice to take place at 11:30 one day and at 2:30 on another just depending on when that independent activity needs to be assigned.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:00 am

I know exactly what you are talking about here! :D When this happens and I try to have them "play" something for the 5-10 minutes, they have a hard time stopping the play when that time comes. :? So, I've found it helpful to take this into account when making the schedule as best I can. For example, when doing R & S Grammar with my oldest at the dining room table, my middle ds was doing Explode the Code workbooks at the table. I let him color any of the workbook pages if he finished early. This worked well because he loves to color. If my research, etc. went over with my older son in PHFHG, then I had my middle ds practice reading his Emerging Reader's Set book on his own on the couch until I could join him (he then read it over to me again).

It also works well to have things that don't have a definite end - for example, I have my older ds play with my toddler in the basement while I do the Reading about History and History Activity (rotating box) with my Beyond child. The playing doesn't have to have an exact end, so this works well. I do the same thing for my older ds - I have my middle ds play with toddler in basement while I do the Reading about History box and Rotating activity box with my older ds. Again, the playing doesn't have to have a definite end, so that works well. Same with audio books, computer time, etc. These things don't have to have definite end times, so they work well to schedule when I need some wiggle room in the schedule.

I realize my 2 dc are in different programs, so these ideas may or may not work if your dc are in the same program. I think I'd try a couple of ideas in this situation. Let dc add more to whatever they were doing (i.e. if it were art, add more and put their own creative spin on it). Have a pile of independent things they can do for 5 minutes and happily put aside still - like KUMON workbooks, coloring, simple puzzles, etc. If they are able to read, have them silently read a book. They could have a snack to quietly munch on if they finish early. They could do a short chore - i.e. take out the garbage. I always have the dc look ahead to the next box and get everything ready for it as much as possible - which usually kills 5 minutes and teaches them some organizational/planning skills to boot. But, if at all possible, I'd have them stay with you rather than kiting off somewhere else, and I would not have them do something they are unable to tear themselves away from in 5 minutes. If all else fails, they can quietly wait at the table for 5 minutes - patience is a virtue, right? :lol: If it's taking longer than 10 minutes for one of the dc to finish then you could either have them set it aside to finish it with you later, or have older dc go do something longer - like a 15 minute thing. I hope something here helps! :D

In Christ,
Julie

P.S. MamaMary - Welcome back - hope your summer has been going well and has been full of fun and relaxation!!! :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Momtoamayalilal2

Post by Momtoamayalilal2 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 am

Evergreen Mama wrote:I have seen and am interested in the workboxes. It makes a lot of sense. But maybe I am just missing a detail or something because I don't have a lot of independent work for them to just move onto. I am still where I need to direct/read with/teach the majority of their subjects. Therefore, lets say I went over math and then he is working on it independently while I am going over math with another kiddo. Then he finishes his math work and the next subject is .... science or history read a loud or side by side reading/DITHR or dictation or grammar. All of which I am required to be available. I am only talking 5-10 minutes here and there. I LOVE the workbox system and I WANT to implement it. This is truly the only area that I am not wrapping my mind around. Maybe I am micromanaging too much? I just know that if history repeats itself in our school days... 5-10 minutes undirected can break motivation and a good portion of the rest of the day can be lost. I am trying to work with the schedule/flow of my day to see if these types of occurrences will be followed up by playtime naturally. We'll see.
As far as the workboxes, it would work something like this in my house (my oldest only needs me for certain subjects BUT I will have to start him on things for a while till he gets used to the new routine)..I have a 10 yr old, 4 yr old and am almost 2yr old.

*I'll start ds on box #1, which requires only about 10 mins of my time, the little ones will have box #1 that keeps then occupied for that amount of time or longer...such as a coloring page, blocks to build, whatever will keep them busy while I am working with my ds. Then when I am done with my ds, I will see if the littles are ready to move onto their second box that requires mom (could be LHTH bible story) while I know my oldest is taken care of for at least the next 30 mins. If oldest happens to finish before I am done with the littles , I tell him to move onto box #2 which should be something independent that he can just easily start (maybe math on the Computer). I am finished working with the littles, I will get them starting on another box (that is independent like playdoh) and check on ds...if everyone is happily busy I can do something that needs to be done like unloading the dishes, switching the laundry etc. Of course this is how it will go most of the day. I am NOT going to try a minute by minute schedule with this at first, but I will try a block schedule of sorts.
*get up at the same time, snack at the same time, lunch etc.....we'll just work through the boxes and stop and go as needed until they are done. I think the key is going to be planning the boxes according to how well I know my kids and what will keep their attention (the littles) and knowing my oldest and having a timer or setting a time for certain subjects for him so he is not dragging along (happens sometimes ;) ) and just watching how it all works together and keeping notes of what is NOT working for them the first couple of weeks.

BTW I havent started implementing the workboxes yet, just have been researching them to death since Feb or so? I will have what they call a "schedule strip" for my oldest to have..it will include everything he needs to do for the day..including a note telling him to go do his chores. He doesnt really learn or follow directions well when giving outloud...so I tend to have to have things written down, set in stone for his ADHD personality (along with moms type A ness throw in :lol: ) This is why the workboxes are so great...they were made with these types of children in mind :D
Mama to 7!
Oldest (18)
Dd 12-
Ds-9
Dd-7
Dd-4
Ds-2
Dd-brand new!

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BEYOND, CTC,WG over the years and always come back to Hod after a a season! :lol:

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 pm

When this happens I have my other child go work on flashmaster or Mavis Beacon teaches Typing. This works well because it is something they need practice on and they don't complain when it is time to leave it and go back to work.

Leah

PS flashmaster is a great tool for learning their math facts. I found mine on ebay but you can also get them at their website.
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

Evergreen Mama

Post by Evergreen Mama » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 pm

thank you everyone who gave suggestions. I feel like I have something to work with now. Especially in how to utilize the workbox system.
Davena

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 pm

I am a planner by nature and that is part of why I have such detailed schedules. I have my older son (5th grade and mostly independent other than HOD stuff) do something he can complete on his own while i make breakfast for my younger son and we eat (older son gets up early and eats on his own). Then, I give younger ds free time (as long as he doesn't interrupt school) while I work with older ds. I scheduled his subjects so we do the ones I need to do with him during that hour of time. Then, when he gets to math, I start school with younger ds who is still mostly dependant (1st grade). For us, it is all about scheduling to make it work. I could go into how I color code the manual to keep my kids on track with what subject to do when and then how I organize the workboxes in order so he doesn't skip line and need me when I am not available...but that may be, er, a bit too OCD for most normal folks. :shock:
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.