2 kids, Beyond and Bigger right page, but which left page??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sewpeaceful

2 kids, Beyond and Bigger right page, but which left page??

Post by sewpeaceful » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:42 am

The short version of my situation: we've been using a textbook curriculum for 2 years now and enjoyed it. God blessed us with a surprise bundle of joy in April. Over the summer I did a lot of read alouds and project with both my 5yo and 7yo and fell in love with educating as a family. The lady who desciples me is thrilled I am finally embracing homeschooling and starting to let go of the classroom! LOL. :D

My ds, 5yo in 3 weeks, finished K with flying colors and is reading the books in the emerging readers pack on his own (we already owned half the books!). He has fabulous listening comprehension skills, even if he is still making sense of the world around him (his conclusions can come out of left field sometimes). He is writing fine and starting copywork with minimal help (I sometimes dot out the letters for him to help him with form, but he can do it on his own.) According to your Placement Chart, he is solidly in Beyond the whole column (minus the age).

My dd, 7.5yo, finished 2nd grade with straight A's, though a lot of information wasn't retained (ahh, the joys of textbooks). According to your Placement Chart, she is solidly on Bigger. Though, referring to my retention issue, I will have to take a close look at the spelling list 2 versus dictation list 1 to determine where she falls on this. She IS ready for dictation because she has been doing it this past year in Writing & Grammar.

Okay, no brainer, they do their own right pages. But I REALLY want the left page to be family learning. I want to embrace homeschooling. I want to streamline where ever I can so I can also enjoy time with my new baby girl (proud, happy, and over the hills in love mama here). What are your thoughts and suggestion as to WHICH left page to use? Does it really matter?

Along the same lines: science. Science is on the left page for Beyond and the right page for Bigger. Which science? Maybe both because my dd is a science enthusiast? Only 1?

That should do it for this topic. I have 1 more question but it deems its own thread.

Blessings to all my wisdom sharing educators!

Laurie Beth

Dorla

Re: 2 kids, Beyond and Bigger right page, but which left page??

Post by Dorla » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:47 am

Laurie Beth,
We completed Beyond last school year and loved the left side of the lesson! I think your children will enjoy it and by your descriptions of them it seems like they would enjoy it too. The history stories are wonderful, the science is perfect for their ages, the poetry is excellent and the Bible study is deep. And we LOVED singing with Steve Green!
I can't give you any advice on Bigger since we are just about to start in August. But I am sure more moms will have more to say!
Dorla

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Laurie Beth! Thanks for describing your dc, and I think you are going to love doing HOD as much as we have! :D Even though your 5 yo is one smart little cookie :) , I'd say that since he is below the target age range for Beyond, combining the 2 of them in the left side of Beyond would be the best fit. The left side of Bigger Hearts is challenging - I wouldn't do it with anyone much younger than 7 yo. :shock: You can challenge your 7 yo with the right side of Bigger, and that will be a great fit. I'd do the science in Beyond, because we enjoyed the links it has with the history being learned, and in Bigger Hearts (as well as subsequent guides), the science links even more to the history, so it's nice to do the science and history together in the same guide if possible. I'll be doing the second half of Beyond four days a week this year with my little Riley, so we'll have to swap stories! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sewpeaceful

Post by sewpeaceful » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Julie,

Thank you for your input. That is what MariaW and I were thinking too (we talk on the phone and visit in person far more than we communicate on the boards). Anyway, and even though science is on the right side in bigger, I am leaving it to do next year when we do Bigger history since they are linked. In addition, I hadnt' mentioned my dd is doing some neurological development therapy this fall daily so I don't want to put TOO much on her plate. Letting her take it a little easier on the left side will be good.

Baby is crying... must go. :cry:

Have a wonderful day! Pray people come forward to purchase the curriculum I had originally invested in for this year... there is a lot between the 2 kids.

Laurie Beth

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 pm

sewpeaceful wrote:Julie,

Thank you for your input. That is what MariaW and I were thinking too (we talk on the phone and visit in person far more than we communicate on the boards). Anyway, and even though science is on the right side in bigger, I am leaving it to do next year when we do Bigger history since they are linked. In addition, I hadnt' mentioned my dd is doing some neurological development therapy this fall daily so I don't want to put TOO much on her plate. Letting her take it a little easier on the left side will be good.

Baby is crying... must go. :cry:

Have a wonderful day! Pray people come forward to purchase the curriculum I had originally invested in for this year... there is a lot between the 2 kids.

Laurie Beth
It is so nice to have friends on-line and on the phone - now MariaW is both. :D I have some dear friends like this as well, and I'm so glad you two can bounce ideas off each other. I understand the time and energy therapy takes (having several dc who needed various services), so that is an important consideration as well. I think it sounds like you have a good plan in place for next year! :D I have prayed your other curriculum will sell :) (and that dbaby has quieted down as well :wink: ).

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sewpeaceful

Post by sewpeaceful » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:33 pm

She has been asleep for almost 2 hours!! I feel like a new person. :D

Thank you for your prayers.

mariaw

Post by mariaw » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:57 pm

:mrgreen: Just wanted to pop in! Pretend like my smilie is waving!

Maria
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:23 pm

LaurieBeth,

I just wanted to pop-in and agree with the wonderful advice the ladies gave you! I think you'll find the left side of Beyond to be a good fit for your kiddos, and adding part of the right side of Bigger Hearts will raise the level for your daughter. :D

We'll be using Beyond this upcoming year with our third little guy in line and will enjoy sharing the journey with you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm

I would use Beyond for both of them. Beyond is well within a second grader's age (Bigger is a bit more challenging and the reading is on a higher level). If your 5 year old is doing well and loves to listen, etc and fits into beyond, then I would use Beyond with both kids. Like you said, the basics are obviously going to be different, but the history/Science/Bible is so much fun in Beyond. You also wouldn't want to go over your 5 year old's head and have him retain nothing.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.