can i combine my k and 2nd grader into 1?? HELP

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommajenny

can i combine my k and 2nd grader into 1?? HELP

Post by mommajenny » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Ok, I just posted last night saying I dId not want to combine, but after reading more and more threads I need help. If I combine them both into lhfhg then I feel like my 7 year won't be challenged enough and if I combine into blhfhg then they will both be missing out on the history basics and such in lhfhg. ????? I just don't want to be helter skelter all day between all of them. I'd like to be done in a few hours. Am I crazy hoping for a perfect situation.
I want to place my order but I keep going back and forth.
thanks for your help,
Jenny
ds-7
ds-5
dd-3
dd-2 on sunday
Jenny
Michigan
ds - 7.5, 2nd grade, blhfhg, singapore 1b
ds - 5.75, k, lhfhg
dd - 3.5, lhth
dd - 2, lhth tag a long

funkmomma71

Re: can i combine my k and 2nd grader into 1?? HELP

Post by funkmomma71 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:37 pm

First, Have you looked at the placement charts? These are very helpful and accurate in deciding placement. If you haven't checked that out here is the link:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Second, I finished LHFHG last year and it did not take very long at all and this year we're doing Beyond and so far my dd is blasting through it and quickly! Doing both programs would not be all that difficult, though depending on where your dc fall on the placement chart combining wouldn't be a bad idea. Most likely you would combine them in LHFHG for the Learning through History and Storytime, and then use the Beyond guide for LA, reading, and math for your older child. I have both manuals and that doesn't seem like it would be difficult to do. The simplest way to do that would be to use a bookmark to keep your place in that guide.

I'm sure Carrie and/or Julie will jump on and give some great advice! Remember, PRAY for God's leading and He will give you the answer you need.
Blessings.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:41 am

i second what that last post said. what she says seems doable if you want to combine and then no one would be missing out. LHFHG doesn't take all that long. it just seems long if you have distractions(a 17 month old climbing where she shouldn't).

Jenn D.
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

AnaDawson

Post by AnaDawson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Jenn,

I just had the same question last week. If you go to page two of the posts on the main board you will find the following two topics that may be helpful to you:
Half speed for Bigger? and LHFHG for 5 and 7 y.o.??. I was not sure how to post a link.

Blessings,

Ana Dawson
Blessings,

Ana Dawson

Mommy to:
Ava 7 BHFHG
Walker 5 LHFHG
Reed 3
Ella 1

joyfulness

Post by joyfulness » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm really new to HOD so I'm not sure my comments are helpful, but here goes...

We started LHFHG, I think in May, and made it through about unit 5, combining both my 7 & 5 year old, until we took a break for summer vacation.

I was planning to start back up soon but add in the right-side of Beyond for my 7 year old, who is starting 2nd grade. However, with that initial trial run, I discovered that my 5 year old is just not quite ready to tackle it all. He loved all the books & activities but just couldn't handle doing more than a few things every day. I've decided now to continue Little Hearts with him but only at half-time and to do that with him first thing in the morning. He wakes before his brother so this will be a good time for he & I to work together.

Then the 7 year old will use Beyond, all of it instead of just the right side. I may need to start him at half-time for a couple weeks to get us going, but he's really ready for it. It's also what he's interested in learning about right now. He already carries around some of the books asking when we can start.

I don't know if it's do-able yet since we haven't started yet, but it seems like it should be. The interruptions from the younger ones is always the issue, but they are sure cute little interruptions. ;)
Joy
Navy wife and mom of four:
Mr J (10), Mr M (8), Miss M (6) & Miss B (4)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:42 pm

mommajenny,

The ladies have given you terrific advice and some wonderful scenarios to ponder. :D You may wish to give combining a try to see how it goes by doing just as the ladies suggested. You could teach both kiddos the left side of the daily plans from LHFHG and the storytime box from the right side of the LHFHG plans each day. :wink:

Then, you would add the Emerging Reader's Set, the spelling, the gentle grammar lessons on the 5th day, and the higher level of math from Beyond to "up" the level of language arts and math for your 7 year old. Your 5 year old could do LHFHG as written.

This would be a great way to keep your kiddos together for some things and specialize for others. If, after a trial period, you felt you'd rather not combine, you could easily just keep going with LHFHG with your daughter and add the rest of Beyond for your 7 year old without losing anything. :D

It's often a good idea to try combining to see how it goes with your particular family's situation and goals. :D

Blessings,
Carrie