Introduction and question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DanaFL

Introduction and question

Post by DanaFL » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Hello All,

I have homeschooled our children for the last 10 years; however, this is our first to be using LHFHG. Also, we have a bit of a unique situation. I have a ds-16, dd-13, ds-11, dd-4, and dd-3 (4 in a couple weeks.) However, we just got back from China a month ago where we adopted another dd-14, and our ds-9(today). They don't speak any English, and in fact had never even seen a caucasian before meeting us. I had thought we would need to send them to school so they would have the aid of ESL, etc. It didn't sound like there was going to be a whole lot of support though, especially for our dd, who has severe delays (basically from lack of exposure/institutionalization) as well as a poorly repaired (and reopened) cleft lip and palate, and of course, she never had speech therapy. I'm hoping that the activities and gentle learning style (...so not worried about whether they "get it" at this point) will help with bonding as we focus mostly on learning English and becoming a family.

I received our box (wooohoooo!) and am for the first time in the past couple of years, excited to start school again. My question is, has anyone compiled some kind of master list of supplies needed, maybe week by week? I know it's mostly open-and-go, but I would love to have some of the basic things ready to go so I'm not scrambling around, making letters or numbers on the fly, or looking for dried beans in the morning. I figured I'd ask here before I make my own and reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it and wouldn't mind sharing.

Blessings,
Dana
www.acrookedcrown.blogspot.com

krismoose

Re: Introduction and question

Post by krismoose » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi and welcome! What an exciting journey you have had, and will continue to have! I've just started LHFHG myself, and I haven't needed to look far ahead to prepare our activities...it really is open and go. There is a yahoo group called HomeschoolingHODMoms where some members have posted files of lists like you're describing. I printed the first couple of pages out for LHFHG and honestly haven't used it, but it could be helpful to some!
HTH and may God bless your homeschooling adventure!
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D