2nd grade Reading question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patience

2nd grade Reading question

Post by Patience » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:55 pm

My 7 year old boy is reading well, but I'm not sure well enough to do the Dithor book pack books. He's been reading the Emerging Reader Series and feels the jump in level after one of the later books. I can't remember which book came next but it was difficult for him. I am assuming he needs to have a little more time on this particular level. But I'm planning my school for next year and wondering if I can go ahead and use my Dithor book pack for 2/3, or if I should purchase some leveled readers from Bob Jones or somewhere for him for this year? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience?
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

Dorla

Re: 2nd grade Reading question

Post by Dorla » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Patience,
When my 7 yr was moving up in the emerging readers I tried to avoid having him "feel the jump in levels" by purchasing other books in whatever series we had just finished or at that same level. So it took us a little longer to finish them, but he is now a strong reader! I would wait until you finish the emergent reader set before jumping into DITHOR -
Dorla

my3sons

Re: 2nd grade Reading question

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Patience! :D You can use the supplemental book titles listed along with the Emerging Reader's Schedule to stay at a level a bit longer. After finishing the emerging readers, you can start DITHOR. If the Level 2 book pack is too difficult, you can just use 3 books that are at an easier level, reading only 5 days on each of them. Looking at books in a series, or choosing the same level of books he is doing well with works fine with DITHOR too. One of the great things about DITHOR is that any book works with it, so of you're thinking the Level 2 book pack selections are going to be too difficult at that point, you can save them for the next year and sub in easier books according to genre. You might be surprised at how much your ds grows as a reader as he moves through the Emerging Reader's Set though, I remember looking at the Nature Reader and thinking there was no way my ds would be able to read that - and when we got there and got into it a bit - he was reading it great! :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie