How do you set up notebooks for Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Amey

How do you set up notebooks for Bigger?

Post by Amey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi ladies,

I am just trying to figure out how many notebooks we need for Bigger? I know we need a science notebook with blank pages, but what else do I need? How do you/did you set up your system for Bigger so I can get a picture of what to do..thanks!
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

WigglesMom

Re: How do you set up notebooks for Bigger?

Post by WigglesMom » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:29 pm

We have just been using a 3 ring binder with 8 divider sections for each subject (poetry, spelling, language skills, Bible, handwriting, history, science). For science and history, we are using plain white paper in sheet protectors. We use notebooks for vocabulary and dictation. We are using the index cards and index binder for Bible verses. So we only use 2 notebooks, index cards, and paper and sheet protectors for all the rest. We use a dry erase board for English 2.
That is all that I use with BHFHG this year.
Val

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:24 pm

'I had separate 3 ring binders for science, art, and geography/history. We used a notebook for poetry and 3X5 cards for vocabulary. I punch the holes in the art paper first. and it helps keep the 'treasures" orderly.

I did find this great tool at an office depo like store. it was a 3 ring hole punch that fit right in the notebook it was super great for adding pages and not having to hunt for the hole punch every time. it can only do 3 pages of regular paper but it's so handy for adding one page at a time.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:30 pm

We had a small 3-ring binder for history and another for science. We did our notebooking pages on plain white paper and put it in sheet protectors. For dictation and English, we had plain spiral notebooks. (My ds preferred to write his English on a white board for at least 3/4 of the year though.) We used index cards for vocabulary and Bible verses. We stored the vocabulary cards in a file box and the verses in a 4x6 photo book (like the $1 Wal-Mart variety by the photo counter).

Has your new baby arrived yet? (Probably not if you're still in organizing mode, huh? :lol: ) Praying for a safe delivery!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

simplepamom

Post by simplepamom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:12 am

This has been very helpful. If I am looking at the information properly

Ok so, if I interpretting it correctly- it seems 3 notebooks (dictation, language skills, poetry/copywork), 2 ways to organize and enough index cards for 2 subjects (vocabulary/spelling and Bible verses), and 2 ways to organize and enough plain paper for 3 subjects (art, science, history/geography)

Is this accurate (I know some did vocab in a notebook.... this looked like what I thought would work for me- did I cover everything?

Brenda

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 am

simplepamom wrote:This has been very helpful. If I am looking at the information properly

Ok so, if I interpretting it correctly- it seems 3 notebooks (dictation, language skills, poetry/copywork), 2 ways to organize and enough index cards for 2 subjects (vocabulary/spelling and Bible verses), and 2 ways to organize and enough plain paper for 3 subjects (art, science, history/geography)

Is this accurate (I know some did vocab in a notebook.... this looked like what I thought would work for me- did I cover everything?

Brenda
I think you've got it all covered here! Now, let the fun begin... :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie