Organization idea

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
threegreatkids

Organization idea

Post by threegreatkids » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:44 am

I know some people love workboxes around here :D They sure look cool.
Just thought I'd post an alternative that I think is going to work well for us next year. I got clear plastic magazine files for each child (4 each) and separated their individual items into each one. For example: Math, Grammar, DITHR, and Cursive/Copywork/Spelling. They will then use the HOD Manual, plus a weekly checklist of individual assignments, and take out each box as they need it. They can check things off as they are accomplished, and turn the file box aroung to show that it is completed. The only set-up I'll need to do is to turn the boxes back around...30 seconds tops. And on the weekend I'll fill in the page numbers for the individual weekly grids for Math, Grammar, etc.
I'm not that familiar with workboxes so I'm certainly not claiming that this does the same thing. Just that the idea of boxes sparked this plan, which has almost no prep and continues to use the HOD manual. It will also teach my girls to put things back and keep track of their own supplies.
For my youngest there will be a "Surprise Box" each day with a puzzle, book on tape, or other fun item.
I'll try to post a pic, but I don't know if it'll work.

Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

Sharon

Re: Organization idea

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:00 am

Your bookshelves look GREAT!!!!

I love the system that you have setup, everything looks so neat and organized.

We are currently using rolling towers with seven drawers and it was working well except the rollers on both dd's tower have broken so I can't roll them out of site to the washroom. I think all the books were just to heavy.

I really like your setup and may try it out.

Thanks for sharing! :D
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 am

That looks like a great way to organize your HOD materials. :) I like that the magazine files are clear, and the books can easily be seen. It's also nice that there can be a label on the front of each of them. The shelf looks neat and should be fairly easy to maintain as well. Great ideas - thanks for sharing! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am

I like this so much better than workboxes! LOL..I'm kinda tweaked my workboxes to do the same thing, but added in our couple extras and some fun boxes. I just leave them loaded and let her use the guide, but I have the numbers on each box to tell her what order to complete them. There's no way of her seeing the work dwindling like there is with yours....I'll have to see what I can do about that!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 am

Looks great! :D
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks for your enthusiastic replies :D Fun to share this with you all!
Today was our first day of summer vacation, and I couldn't wait to get out our HOD materials, LOL! My youngest, who just finished the first couple weeks of LHFHG, said, "Mommy, I just love school so much now! Could we please do some school this summer?" I have a feeling our summer is going to shrink :)

BTW, I still need to add labels and notebooks to the new files. I'll try to wait for those great back-to-school sales in August to buy notebooks and other school supplies.
Mom of three great kids

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:20 pm

A few questions for threegreatkids and others using Workboxes or anything else...

Are the subjects that your children are working on individually specified in the TM as to be done individually? or did you make that decision?

Which HOD books are your children in?

Dorla

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Dorla,
By "individually" I didn't necessarily mean Independently, just not as a group. My girls will be doing Bigger together, but separate Grammar, Math, Spelling/Dictation, etc. Oldest is really doing math/LA from the Preparing manual, which is why that is on her shelf. She will also be working independently on the Extensions for Bigger.
My goal is to begin having them do some things more independently over the course of the year, but certainly not everything. But I find it makes a huge difference just to be able to say, "Meet me at the table with your Math books," as opposed to me being responsible for everyones "stuff". This year each child had a bin with their notebooks, math and english books, etc. They were always a huge mess, with unfiled papers and scraps. Next year I think we will do a shelf inspection weekly, so that History notebook pages are loaded into binders, work is neatly put away, and I'm not nagging or doing it myself :)
Youngest is doing LHFHG, so nothing in the way of Independent work. I gave him files for Math, Phonics, Handwriting/Skills books and a "Surprise" box.
HTH,
Mom of three great kids

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks threegreatkids!
I understand your strategy completely and I have to tell you that I am always in awe of moms with more than one child...
Dorla

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:56 am

Where did you get your magazine holders?

Alison

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:13 am

I got so excited when I saw your picture because that's exactly what I've done with our HOD material! It's been working great for us. :D

kayben

Post by kayben » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 am

This makes much more sense for HOD. I really like this for my four in school and maybe one shoerack with a row of boxes for each of my littles to keep them busy during school too!! This could actually help me rather than add to my work... Thanks to the OP for this one! :D I already have each level with its own color sticker and a sticker color for each DITHOR level as well as the Deluxe books for my dd and the extension books for my DS... yup. love this idea.
Mom2Monkeys wrote:I like this so much better than workboxes! LOL..I'm kinda tweaked my workboxes to do the same thing, but added in our couple extras and some fun boxes. I just leave them loaded and let her use the guide, but I have the numbers on each box to tell her what order to complete them. There's no way of her seeing the work dwindling like there is with yours....I'll have to see what I can do about that!
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm

I love this idea! When I am also teaching my son, I'll have to remember this because I know I'll need help with organization teaching multiple kids. Thank you!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:51 pm

This is GREAT!!!! We just put up shelves in our classroom but I was stumped on how to organize all the books we have. Your idea withthe magazine holders is AWESOME!, I was considering doing crates or boxes, but it would have been difficult to see at a glance what was in each, this solves that problem and neatly I might add. Thank-you so much for sharing your organization solution. Blessings!!
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:58 am

We use this same set up. It works great. I made comb files for Bible, History/Geog, copywork and Science. I gave each child two of these magazine files and wrote on each one what books and comb files go where. That has really helped them with not losing things. I think your shelves look neater than mine though just because we have so much other extras up there. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)