Working while Homeschooling

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
melmore

Working while Homeschooling

Post by melmore » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 am

I am new at homeschool and beginning Bigger Hearts w/ my daughter this coming school year. I am anxious and wanted to know if there were any mom's out there that do work and homeschool. If so, how does it work for you? I only work 24 hours/week.

lmercon

Re: Working while Homeschooling

Post by lmercon » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:00 pm

I only work on Thursdays, so we just do four days a week. It pushes the summer break back, but that's what works for us. I think you will find HOD to be a program that will really work for a working hs mom such as yourself. The readings and activities are short but purposeful. You may want to look ahead at the manual and plan your daily schedule around your availability. Save the more independent activities for the time you work. I don't have much advice to offer, but I wanted to encourage you in your hsing journey. HOD is really fantastic!
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:34 pm

I just finished LHFHG and we are starting Beyond in the fall. I work 3-11 2 nights a week.
It doesn't interfere with homeschooling except I am tired after working until 11:00pm. I usually go to bed early.

Hope this helps.
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 pm

I used to work about 20-25 hours a week while hsing. Did it for quite a while. I did not have HOD at the time if I had it would have been a lot easier. It can be done. What I found is that I needed to stick to a schedule and as long as I did that it really was not a problem. In a way I was way more productive on getting things done while I was working than I am when I have all the time in the world. Funny how that works. :lol: You can definitely do it and having HOD will make it so much easier. I would look at some of the schedule threads here to see what would work best for you and then find on and just stick to it. That is what I found worked best. I know other ladies will have more help but just wanted to encourage you that you can do it and it is so worth it! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

icukirt

Post by icukirt » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 pm

We have a unique situation. My husband is awaiting going back on active duty and didn't feel it would be right to get a job he would keep for only a couple of months knowing he was going back into the military. Several months back I returned to work and work 2-3 twelve hour shifts/week. (I'm thinking the previous posters are in the medical field, too)...and though sometimes I can get some schooling in before I go to work at noon my husband has been the main homeschooler this year. He'll admit it never would have been on his "scope", but I think both he and our son have enjoyed it...though mom ALWAYS does phonics work...it's not my DH cup of tea.

The funny thing is it may still be another 9 months until he returns to active duty, so he may get to school for a good portion of the next school year. It has worked for us and I think when he returns to work I will probably work 1 twelve hour shift/week. I agree with the poster who said she gets more done when she is working...the time element is critical as well as being organized!!

Kirstin

PS I am doing review work this summer...I have to say I have missed our "school time."
Kirstin
wife to Scott since 2001
step-mom to ds (14) in private school
mom to ds (5 1/2) will start LHFHG 2009-2010
mom to dd (2) who is speech delayed and has just started speech therapy

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 pm

I work also, my hours vary from 16 to 40 hours a week. I don't know how I could homeschool without HOD!! I work at night, so I get up after 5-6 hours of sleep, sometimes less, and do school then later in the day I take a nap. When I work really long hours I cut back on school and/or my dh will jump in and do school. Scheduling is key!! What time of day we do school may vary, but what we are doing each day and what days I'm actually going to school are VERY important. After I get my work schedule for the week I plan out which days we're going to do school, usually we do phonics/reading everyday no matter what. Even though scheduling is important, GRACE is even more important! Don't beat yourself up if you don't get it ALL done everyday, God willing, tomorrow will be another day.

When I first started last year with LHFHG, I was nursing, working 32-40 hours a week and doing school 5 days a week! Even though I LOVED doing school everyday, physically I needed a break, by the end of the year my work hours had been cut AND I was only schooling 4 days a week, much more doable. Now I'm not nursing but I am chasing a 21 month-old boy around, I'm not sure which is harder. :lol:

If you give it to the Lord, He will give you what you need to do both work and school. May God Bless You!
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

melmore

Post by melmore » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:45 am

Thank all of you so much. I know the Lord is going guide our way it is just encouraging to hear that others work also. May God bless each of you!! :D

Momto1

Post by Momto1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:57 am

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this question because it has given me some encouragement also!

I am also currently working (30 hours/wk) and trying to figure out if I will be able to homeschool. My DS is just 3 yrs. old now and we are doing LHTH at a very slow pace but, in a couple of years that will be changing. My DH and I have put our house up for sale and we are hoping to move to a smaller place so I can cut my hours even further. However, the real estate market is moving slow these days and I don't know if that will be possible. If not, I am praying that the Lord will make a way to teach DS while I work. I am a planner and would like to have the details worked out beforehand but, I know God's timing is not mine and I just have to be patient.

I know you will have a great time doing Bigger in the fall. Just know you are not alone...there are lots of moms and dads working and homeschooling too!
Karen
DS-4
DH - married 19 years to my best friend

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:20 pm

I work at homeschool. :)
I leave at 1:00 and we are usually done before then. We are using LHTH, LHFHG, and Bigger. Now, we don't eat lunch until I'm leaving for work-my oldest will make lunch and feed the rest while I get ready and go to work.
I am scheduled for 2 10 hour days, but I end up working about 32 hours a week-I'm a nurse in the hospital, so there's always help needed!

quilterbee

Post by quilterbee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 am

We will be using HOD starting in late August or early September. I work 20 hours week (each afternoon 2-6) and really thought we were going to have to give up homeschooling. However, I have done this for 15 months. Sometimes it is not easy; however, I am excited about HOD - I think it will really help us stay on task. I do think a schedule is key. I have everything scheduled (laundry, the days each room gets cleaned, the time to grocery shop, schooling, work, etc - maybe a little overboard but other wise nothing would get done in our home.