Brainstorming....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Brainstorming....

Post by Marsha » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 pm

If Preparing..is not enough for a 7th grader, then Sonlight Alt 6 would be perfect with it. It also uses CHOW.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Marsha,

Since you mentioned Sonlight is using the same book as we use in "Preparing...." (CHOW), and also adding literature to it (like we do in "Preparing...."), and Sonlight Alt. 6 is for an alternative year 6 (which is the same top age level we recommend for "Preparing...), it would be on the similar level to Preparing.....

So, if you feel Sonlight Alt. 6 is enough, "Preparing...." would be enough as well.

Note: Read my revised post below, after I have more thoroughly checked my Sonlight catalog on this.... which I should have done first! :oops:

Blessings,
Carrie
Last edited by Carrie on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi,
Thanks for responding.
I was just going by the recommended ages for each program.
Preparing says 8-10 and Alt 6 says 10-14, so I thought it might be a way for slightly older children to study the same topics.
Of course, I may not have to add anything to it.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Marsha,

Preparing... is listed for ages 8-10 with extensions for grades 5-6.

I pulled out my Sonlight catalog to make sure you and I are talking about the same thing. :) I only see Sonlight using CHOW in Alt. 6 as an extra resource. I do mainly see them using Augustus Ceasar's World, George Washington's World, and the World of Columbus and Sons as spines along with a handful of other books. These 3 Foster books would make for an incredibly full one-year schedule, so we are indeed talking about 2 programs with a very different feel. I was just responding on what you had listed in your post and on my knowledge of Sonlight and how they number their programs... and I should have looked it up myself first. :oops:

We have used Sonlight as written originally (Core 1 and 2) and then varied from it so much as we went along (Cores 3 and 4) that you could hardly call what we were doing Sonlight anymore. We have also used much of Sonlight Pre-K and K in a variety of ways, so I'm actually very familiar with Sonlight.

Alt. 6 is not for the faint of heart! :D Sonlight has a different feel from the HOD programs both in the type and number of books used and the pace at which you read them. I hope you'll find what works for you!

Blessings,
Carrie

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:50 pm

we started with Sonlight, too, many moons ago. :-) We only used it for one year, though.
My 8th grader is slowly working through the Foster books. They are very "deep" or so he calls them.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: