Bigger questions...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kathleen

Bigger questions...

Post by Kathleen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Hi! This is my first time to post here, but I have done some reading on the board. I have been using LHTH with my 3 yr old and LOVE it! This is also my first year hsing my 7 yr old. I'm planning to start using Bigger with him next fall. I can't wait and think it looks like tons of fun and a lot less effort than what we've done this year! Having said that, here are a few questions that I have...

Is Bigger set up to use with a 4-day-a-week schedule? I was sure I read something about Carrie doing that and can't remember where and can't seem to find it again. I'd like to do that and wondered how it would work.

Cursive...My 7 yr old has used A Reason for Handwriting so far (which I saw was reccommended by HOD for younger ages), is Cheerful Cursive set up much different and is there a reason it's better?

English...Will it work to use English 3 with Bigger?

Math...My ds has used Saxon for math so far (in the small Christian school he went to and this year at home). Can anyone tell me how Singapore compares to Saxon? My ds catches on to everything quickly and the 2nd grade Saxon we're doing this year has yet to challenge him. It seems to take a long time to teach the lessons...which I skip quite a bit of. I like the way Saxon reviews everything and think it does a very thorough job of teaching math. I guess I'm just wondering (maybe Carrie can tell me), why Singapore? I'm not opposed at all to switching, and actually planning on trying Singapore. (I'm hoping someone will tell me that it does just as thorough a job teaching and reviewing, but is less time consuming...as long as that's true of course!)

I know all of my questions are about the "optional" parts of the curriculum. I have looked into LOTS of curriculm and HOD just seems to fit with what I want to teach my kids...the fact that it's Christ-centered, the history, the reading. I'm really looking forward to trying it!!

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:02 am

I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the boards. :D The only question I can answer for you is about the 4 day week. I don't think Bigger is set up as a 5 day week. I think Carrie said that Preparing will be set up to do a 4 day week. I'm sure Carrie or someone else will correct me if I am wrong. Hopefully more people will chime in to answer some of your other questions. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Candice

Post by Candice » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:33 am

Kathleen,

Welcome!

I had posted a question regarding Singapore Math sometime back, so I would like to share the post with you in hopes that it will answer some questions for you. That is about all of the help I can offer as far as your questions but, I am sure as others view your post you will get much help.
Here is the previous post:

viewtopic.php?t=112

Candice

MamaMary

Re: Bigger questions...

Post by MamaMary » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:10 am

Hoppin with Joy wrote:Hi! This is my first time to post here, but I have done some reading on the board. I have been using LHTH with my 3 yr old and LOVE it! This is also my first year hsing my 7 yr old. I'm planning to start using Bigger with him next fall. I can't wait and think it looks like tons of fun and a lot less effort than what we've done this year! Having said that, here are a few questions that I have...

Is Bigger set up to use with a 4-day-a-week schedule? I was sure I read something about Carrie doing that and can't remember where and can't seem to find it again. I'd like to do that and wondered how it would work.

Cursive...My 7 yr old has used A Reason for Handwriting so far (which I saw was reccommended by HOD for younger ages), is Cheerful Cursive set up much different and is there a reason it's better?

English...Will it work to use English 3 with Bigger?

Math...My ds has used Saxon for math so far (in the small Christian school he went to and this year at home). Can anyone tell me how Singapore compares to Saxon? My ds catches on to everything quickly and the 2nd grade Saxon we're doing this year has yet to challenge him. It seems to take a long time to teach the lessons...which I skip quite a bit of. I like the way Saxon reviews everything and think it does a very thorough job of teaching math. I guess I'm just wondering (maybe Carrie can tell me), why Singapore? I'm not opposed at all to switching, and actually planning on trying Singapore. (I'm hoping someone will tell me that it does just as thorough a job teaching and reviewing, but is less time consuming...as long as that's true of course!)

I know all of my questions are about the "optional" parts of the curriculum. I have looked into LOTS of curriculm and HOD just seems to fit with what I want to teach my kids...the fact that it's Christ-centered, the history, the reading. I'm really looking forward to trying it!!

Kathleen
Welcome Kathleen! You sound like a SUPER homeschool Mama! :D I loved your great questions.

Gina answered your first question about "Bigger". I remember Carrie saying though it's written as a 5 day you can do 4 and just go longer to complete if you'd like.

Cheerful Cursive IS different than ARFH, but it's WONDERFUL! If you are in the middle of doing A reason for Handwriting CURSIVE, I would not change. But if this is your childs first exposure to Cursive (been working on printing) I think it would be fine to make the change.

I cannot answer question number 3

If your child is not being challenged with Saxon I think I would prayerfully consider making the change. However, I would ask Carrie or another veteran to help with singapore placement :?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

blessedmomof4

Re: Bigger questions...

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:44 am

Hoppin with Joy wrote: (I'm hoping someone will tell me that it does just as thorough a job teaching and reviewing, but is less time consuming...as long as that's true of course!)
Kathleen
Hi! Actually, I would describe Singapore exactly that way!! I switched this year from another time-consuming program, and both my younger girls are learning very well. Plus, it doesn't take us all day :shock: We honestly spend about 15- 25 minutes a day on math (for each girl) including presentation :!: My old program took 2 hours a day for each girl-we hardly had time for anything else :? I use Saxon 87 with my oldest with ok results, though we don't do it daily and I assign her less problems, but I never did like Saxon very well for the younger grades. I always felt it was major overkill.

If you make the switch-definitely use the placement tests on the Singapore Math website-Singapore is pretty advanced, and if you are coming from another program, proper placement is necessary. My daughters are in 3rd and 4th grade, but placed perfectly to start in 2A and 3A, respectively.

Just my $.02 :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:45 pm

Kathleen, welcome to the boards! We're glad you're here. :D The ladies have done a great job of answering your questions.

I have done a 4-day schedule in some years, and then just picked up the guide where we left off after our summer break and kept on going. It took me an extra 9 weeks of the next school year to finish that way. Whether we do that depends on how old my kiddos are and how soon I need them to go on into our next program. This year were doing the 5 day plan for "Bigger...", because my second son will be in fourth grade next year, and I need him to go into Preparing... :wink:

As to the cursive, the reason we don't use "A Reason for Writing" for cursive is that the transition book and the next level of "A Reason for Writing" really didn't have enough slow, steady practice before jumping into requiring cursive words and verses. Now, some kiddos can do without the slow, steady practice but most will need it. So, "Cheerful Cursive" does a better job for all types of learners. I say this with all certainty after many, many years of teaching cursive handwriting (11 years of public school teaching of it prior to teaching my own little sweeties :shock:).

Often girls will do alright with a different approach, but if you have a boy, you may especially want to consider "Cheerful Cursive".

As far as English 3, it would not be a problem to add it in place of English 2.

Last, as far as Singapore, the ladies have already pointed you in the right direction. Here is the link to the Singapore Placement test in case you need it:
http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

One more thing.....did you get a chance to check out our placement chart to make sure "Bigger..." is the right placement for your little one? If not, here's the link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Let us know what you're thinking as you process through things! :)

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi Kathleen! So glad you are here, and I'm doing Bigger... right now as well. You've already gotten some great advice here, so at this time, I won't add any more, but I just wanted to say "hi" and assure you that Bigger... is just an awesome program!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:17 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help! :D

I have looked at the placement guide and honestly in a lot of areas, my ds could fit in the Preparing category, but I like what is done in Bigger and I don't think it will be boring at all and I don't see any need to push ahead this year. We'll have something to look forward to next year!

Thanks for the insight on cursive writing, Carrie! We are still printing this year. My ds's handwriting has improved a lot this year, but he usually has too much to talk about, too many things to "invent", and too many places to go to spend time writing! (Erasing a couple lessons to be redone was all it took for him to figure out how little effort he could put in for it to be acceptable. Doing it twice does not save time!)

I'm looking forward to trying Singapore. I've been giving curriculum prayerful consideration for several months now and so far everything seems to confirm trying HOD entirely.

It's so nice to be able to ask my questions to those who have been there. None of my fellow homeschoolers in the area use HOD (or Singapore or R&S). I have highly reccommended LHTH for preschool and imagine I will the rest of the programs, too, after I try them!

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Candice...I just checked your post about Singapore and it was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks again! :D anyone wanting to know why Singapore Math is the choice for HOD should definitely read it!

Carrie...just so you know, I really appreciate your research and thoroughness (is that a word? :? ). I find everything you've written on your website very easy to follow and understand...and you're answering questions that are in my mind, almost right as I think them! :shock:

I just noticed how my signature reads...just in case you're wondering, I'm not having a hard time being content in Kansas. Recently in my personal Bible study I've been reading about the joy of the Lord and how my choice to give thanks in everything and learn contentment affects it. Maybe I should reword that... :wink:

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Candice

Post by Candice » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:11 pm

Hoppin with Joy,

So glad to be able to help you! Carrie's post about Singapore was very informative for me as well.

Candice

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Kathleen,

You're most welcome! :D Aren't the ladies on the board wonderful about pointing you in the right direction! 8) What a blessing all of you are to me!

Blessings,
Carrie