Preparing Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patience

Preparing Question

Post by Patience » Mon May 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi HOD friends! I said a while back that we were definitely going to do "Bigger" next year with both kiddos. But hubby and I are discussing again the possibility of having the oldest (girl-9) do Preparing. We are not sure yet, but considering what would be best for all the kiddos. We may end up sticking with the Bigger plan. But in the meantime, I have a few questions. Are the books in the Basic package like Noah's Ark, Tirzah, Aesop's Fables and so on scheduled for you or do you schedule? And what about the Deluxe package as well? And I see that Draw and Write through history is part of the Deluxe package? This is confusing to me because I thought that the Draw and Write book was a part of the weekly routine. But maybe I'm confusing that with another level. Also, I am very unfamiliar with this time period in history and wonder if the Hillyer book would be the best one for me to read over the summer to help catch me up? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

Allison TX

Re: Preparing Question

Post by Allison TX » Mon May 18, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Patience. We have used Preparing this year (2 weeks to finish :) ) and have enjoyed it so much. The books in the basic package are scheduled for you daily. We have really loved these read alouds. :) The books in the deluxe package are also scheduled daily. Draw and Write through History is part of the deluxe package and is scheduled for several weeks where it ties in to the main history topic that week. Hope this helps. :)

Allison

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Preparing Question

Post by Carrie » Tue May 19, 2009 11:24 am

Patience,

Allison did a great job of answering your questions. As far as Hillyer goes, we wouldn't recommend reading that on its own without using Grandpa's Box, Life in the Great Ice Age, Hero Tales, and the plans in Preparing Hearts to guide you through the reading of that particular book. Together those books in the package and the questions and Bible references in our guide work to give a very Christ-oriented view of world history. Read alone, Hillyer does not accomplish that goal. :D

Blessings,
Carrie